Looking for Work Looking to start Proofreading

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by TennoTimur, Sep 2, 2019.

1. TennoTimur

TennoTimur New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi guys I'm intrested in proofreading translated novels. Complete novice haven't tried anything like this before. Wanted to help and advice on getting started.
    Thanks

2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    simple, find a novel you like, check for grammatical errors and comment them to the translator ,with information on line, wrong sentece, corrected sentnce, reason why one is wrong (if no obvious or just mistyped)

if you want experience you cqn start with this post, all errors were on purpose and not becuase i'm a lazy bastard that does not want to go back and fix them

Pierrot, grandurr and nonononononono like this.
  3. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Second this.

4. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi guys[,] I'm int[e]rested in proofreading translated novels. [I’m a c]omplete novice[; I] haven't tried anything like this before. Wanted to [get] help and advice on getting started.
    Thanks[.]

First things first, try to learn grammar a bit more, especially commas and punctuation. Then, practice by correcting everything you see wrong in chapters, what you text/post, and other peoples’ statements. You don’t have to post your corrections if you don’t want to, but it’ll get you into the mindset of proofreading/editing when you read.

xiazixin, Barnnn, DankMCD and 7 others like this.
  5. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wow grammar NAZI

6. Kiskaiya

Kiskaiya 【Let’s pretend】

Reading List:
    Link
    Kind of the point of a proofreader

xiazixin, Pierrot, Snowbun and 2 others like this.
  7. TennoTimur

TennoTimur New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Simple, find a novel you like, check for any grammatical errors and mention them to the translator, providing the original, a correction and any necessary reasoning.
    If you want experience you can start with this post, all errors were on purpose and not because I'm a lazy bastard who does not want to go back and fix my many errors.

Have I strayed too far from the original here(excluding the many)?

DocB likes this.
  8. TennoTimur

TennoTimur New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sound advice, I will try and do this.

9. Pierrot

Pierrot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I think this is how I would revise it:

Simple[!] [F]ind a novel you like, check for any grammatical errors[,] and mention them to the translator[. P]rovide them the original, correction[s,] and any necessary reasoning.

If you want experience[,] you can start with this post[. A]ll errors were on purpose[--]not because I'm a lazy bastard who does not want to go back [to] fix my many errors.

Below are the explanations for my corrections:

Simple[!]
    - "Simple" is a fragment and an interjection. While you can keep the comma, stylistically, changing it to an exclamation mark fits better with the sentence. Another reason is that the sentence after "Simple" is quite long.

check for any grammatical errors[,] / correction[s,]
    - You're making a list, so you need a comma before "and".

translator[. P]rovide them
    - It's a very long sentence and also two different thoughts. Separating them clarifies the two thoughts.

If you want experience[,]
    - "If" is a subordinating conjunction, so you need a comma after the subordinate clause

this post[. A]ll errors
    - A comma before "all" would be incorrect because: "All" isn't a coordinating conjunction; the sentence is too long, so it's easier to read if you separate it; while a semicolon can be used to separate the two independent clauses, it would look confusing and messy because of the em dash that follows.

on purpose[--]not because
    - Again, it's a very long sentence. Using an em dash connects the two flowing thoughts together, making the sentence less tiring to read.

[to] fix my many errors
    - Actually, I'm very on the fence about this one. While I think keeping the "and" seemed fine, it felt better to change it to an infinitive phrase to create a rhythm.

Phew, that was a fun exercise! I'm currently relearning grammar, and I can't believe I get to use them in this forum. lol.

Did I get everything? I hope I didn't miss any mistakes.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  10. Pierrot

Pierrot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry to steal your thunder. I understand that grammar can be confusing. Here's a video, one of my favorites on Youtube, that you can watch to get started.

Khan Academy also has many grammar lessons, free, that include exercises to test if you understood the concepts.

I hope these help!