Losing a pet

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DontLookDown, Dec 16, 2018.

1. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't want to start off really blunt, so here's some pictures of my dog.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As you have probably guessed from the title, my dog died today. She's been with me for somewhere around 10 years now. To be honest, I don't really know how I'm feeling. I'm not really sad, it's more like I'm just tired. And a bit empty.

Welp. I suppose life goes on. Treasure your pets. You never know when they'll leave you.

Tsukkin, Ashley123, Viola and 7 others like this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    *pets the OP* hope you feel better soon.

3. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just tuning in to let you know that i hate you for making me feel bad

Ashley123 likes this.
  4. The Mt.Tai

The Mt.Tai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dont worry, we will all die one day

Ashley123 likes this.
  5. The Mt.Tai

The Mt.Tai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who knows maybe you meet again

6. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that her sleeping or actually dead...? Anyways, I love dogs and think about em almost everyday. It hurts reading these type of things. I hope you get better. It’s really sad and I’ve lost four of my dogs as well now I only have one

Ashley123 likes this.
  7. Tilgarial

Tilgarial [Chaos Tiger] [Paradox] [ded][Houseplant]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have to cry, cry till you have no more tears, so that when you think back to the happy days you had with him/her, you feel only nostalgy(?) and happiness.
    your dog might have died, but at the same time, he/she lives on in your memories and emotions, as well as all the changes those memories and emotions have brought to your personality.
    In a sense, one might say, that she will allways be with you, as a part of you.

8. Lordnightowl

Lordnightowl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sorry for your loss. pets are wonderful companions, but unfortunately we must remember they won't always be with us. only thing we can do is grieve, say goodbye, and slowly move on. we will never forget them. they'll always have a place in our hearts.now you made me cry. i miss my cat.

Ashley123 likes this.
  9. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Little hairball is adorable...:aww:

Ashley123 likes this.
  10. Lyanah

Lyanah Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In May 2017 I lost my dog of 13 years, and I'll admit I took his death really hard. I've had him since my childhood, he was by my side during those awkward teen years, and I loved him so much.
    Plus he was kind of my only friend, as I am mildly autistic and cannot maintain social bonds for long. People exhaust me.

So I admit that I couldn't overcome his passing, my life was too empty without a dog to care for and love. Come November I replied to an add on a whim about adopting pets in "second hand", not quite a rescue, but close. You get the dog directly from the previous owner, no fee is asked, and you can learn what kind of past the dog had. The ad I replied to was from a hunter's wife, one of the tracking dogs wouldn't hunt and got attacked by the pack constantly. He was too pitiful and absolutely not suited for that kind of life, and he had been traded around a few times already, never into a loving family.
    Once I met the dog in question it was truly painful, there were no pictures on the site so I didn't know that he was the perfect copy of my late dog. Oh, he still has his own quirks and manners, his own temper but anyone who knew my previous dog are stunned by the physical similarities.
    He's the reason I can now think about my first dog without crying, I can now remember fondly all his stupid stunts without feeling my eyes burn.

Having another dog truly helped me heal from my loss, it's not a replacement, one can never take the place of the other, but it's kind of a band-aid on my heart: there's still a wound underneath but it's healing. The fact that my new buddy didn't have the best life before and that he needed some healing too also helped hammer down "it's not the same dog" in my mind. Now I'm so proud of this idiot, I can now pet him without him being startled, he is house-broken, he start to have his moments where he ask for playtime or walkies.
    After one year he seems to have accepted that yes, he now has a home, and that he'll never again stay attached in a yard with half a dozen other hounds.

Helping him truly soothed the ache in my heart.

I hope that one day, you will be able to think about your pet with love and without any pain.

TheNewGuy, Ashley123, raitei and 2 others like this.
  11. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    It gets better in time as older memories are easier to forget.
    Just remember there is no shame in forgetting, it is in part what helps us move forward.

12. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I just woke up and you already made me sad.

Ashley123 likes this.
  13. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't worry. That mop will always be dusting your heart's worries away as long as you remember it.

14. Only me

Only me Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im not a dog person, but this makes me feel really bad. Sorry for your loss tho

Ashley123 likes this.
  15. sealteam14

sealteam14 Your friendly HI3 SEA monkey farmer

Reading List:
    Link
    At least you're there to see her for the last time, and you know you're there for her. Unlike me...
    I raise 2 dogs for like.... 5-6 years or something. And 1 died, because those dog hijacker, it just.... too quick. Those hijacker hooked her up on motorbike, and all of that lost within 5 seconds. She've probably became food sometime during that week too, because one of my most treasured ceramic decor broken sometime during that week too.
    The lost of 1 companion lead to psychological breakdown in my sister, because she aslo treasure that dog the most( she bought Fluffy & raise her herself), all due to my mom's careless mistake of leavi g the dog freeroam without any leashing. She refuse to talk to my mom for whole months... before back to normal routine, except that bore a grude agaisnt my mom to any pet.
    And the 2nd one, Lucy, was hit by a car, SAME F*CKING MISTAKE of left the dog freeroam of my narcisist mother. She died on the way we carry her to the vet... No need to say, i f*cking hate her for it.
    On flip side, both me & my sis now on the same plane of hating our narcisist mother & never entrust important thing to her just to lost it again. And ever since, our home devoided of barking & joyful feel those two once brought to relived our ever accumulating stress in out disfunctional family.
    ;.;
    And my coendence on your lost of the pet. Though i'm sure she's still relived that you've been there in her last breath.
    TvT>

16. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Our family dog here, BamBam, is well on his way toward that ending as well. He's already quite old, some 9 human years. He sleeps a lot more, and is a whole lot slimmer than he used to be. But that's just the natural way of things.

Ashley123 likes this.
  17. Cessna

Cessna Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A car ran over my dog, she was 15 years old at the time. I got the news as I was entering my home from my mother who told me "Lara was run over by a car your father is digging the grave go help him". All I can say is life moves on.

Ashley123 likes this.
  18. Omniscient Viper

Omniscient Viper [Evil MC Enthusiast] [Park Jimin Biased]

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a cat who's going on 10 years old so this made me really depressed... :blobsad:

Ashley123 likes this.
  19. Yume no Ukihashi

Yume no Ukihashi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hugs.
    I still cry whenever I remember my old dog. When I was one year old, our other dog got puppies and he was one of them. We grow up together and he was my best friend. Been 22 years since he died and it still hurts.

Ashley123 likes this.
  20. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My cat that had been with me for over 17 years also recently passed away :(
    Worst is, that I came home from another country and the first thing I get told, like "just btw, your cat died"....
    Welp, nothing I can do. I was a bit sad and down for a while, but it goes over. I always do remember her though.