Discussion Losing joy in reading novel/manga

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fluffy Jellyfish, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to share my feeling regarding reading novels nowadays which changed from how initially I started reading.

I still remember the days when I read my first WN. I stumbled upon Tate no Yuusha after lurking in baka-tsuki. I remember the amazing feeling of immersing myself in the story, the worldbuilding and even the character interaction. Anticipating what will happen next and focusing on the content that Author makes.

But, nowadays I think that I have already lose that feelings. Many times I read particular novels and start focusing on its external aspect, like how many plot holes this novels have, or what BS this author will pull-off, what plot armor will the author give to the MC. My enjoyment come not from the story itself, but the aspect surrounding it.

So, do you have similar thing going on reading novels nowadays? or it is because the novel that I read didn't satisfy my own requirement? or any other factors?

What can I do to enjoy novels like old times?

Oh how I wish that I can reset my memory to enjoy particular novel like first-time reading it ! :blobgift:

Thanks for reading this~

Fuyuneko, prongsjiisan, Paps and 6 others like this.
  2. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried landing on your head?

Yabu likes this.
  3. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, try to picture yourself as the mc while you read, that way you'll never get too bored from the story.

Even the NTRed one...

moevora likes this.
  4. Fury

Fury Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Happens when you read too much nonsense. Go read good shit.

blablabla12, Yabu, ripsharl and 4 others like this.
  5. asomeCokkies

asomeCokkies [Eternal Quest for Epubs]

Reading List:
    Link
    its called growing up. Either do something else and read occasionally or stop reading altogether. You grow older, your interests change....

bobo10 and TheAries174 like this.
  6. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    I also had a phase like this where i simply didnt enjoy reading anymore. I wiped out like 90% of my reading list and started a new novel and to be honest i was quite lucky because i picked quite the good one and it kinda came back again.

Anown likes this.
  7. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmmm, the classic case of omniscient reader syndrome. Now that you have mastered the tropes of novels, few novels would ever pique your interest. All I can say is find some type of different novel or maybe find one that’s exclusively comedy with no plot. Just take some time off. Like for me, I actually took a few months away from CN novels and focused on other genres and after a while, I one day had the desire to read a CN novel. I still read other types of novels occasional, just 0 mainstream cultivation novels.
    As long as you take time off and try something new, you’ll get your desire back.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    blablabla12, JIKI, Anown and 5 others like this.
  8. Ababil

Ababil Non Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the good time upgrading from reading light novel to novel.

9. Reward

Reward Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is more the lack of originality and twists which make me losing my joy. :blobconfounded:

10. Sherrynity

Sherrynity I see no God up there… other than the chaotic void

Reading List:
    Link
    Simply put,
    No.

I will make a wild guess; you're distracting yourself from something else IRL so much you can't focus on what you read, resulting in how you try to find fault on it because you need a stress reliever… especially something to blame on.

ChronaZero and Fluffy Jellyfish like this.
  11. Bias

Bias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you discover the joy of reading war and peace, you can thank me later. Beautiful romance novel.

Light novel or xinxia novel is for the lulz, just ignore the plot. The reason I like reading fanfiction / book with millions of word is imagination. Forget the below average one and remember the good one and try your best to forget the best one. You can read the best one again and get the all spark back.

Anyway, expand your repertoire of genre. The only genre I don't read is slash. I have some reluctant reading fluffy one though. Too fluffy.

Anown likes this.
  12. CrispyNoodle

CrispyNoodle 『Noodle Overlo*d』『Open Pervert』『Onii-chan』

Reading List:
    Link
    Take a break from reading and go do something else. I recommend karaoke

DSteeve likes this.
  13. anormrobot

anormrobot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've had a similar experience before. After reading Shield Hero I felt a little blank after the ending and continued to read on NovelUpdates. I read to the point where I felt that I didn't want to read anymore. Either I was caught up in releases or that the story no longer interested me, and I read a lot.

Eventually I got over it. On a whim I tried to start writing on my own and eventually I started to like writing. My story wasn't the greatest but some people like it, so I continued. To make my story better I flipped back to reading again and found that I was able enjoy it even more. Nowadays I read Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint, The Great Storyteller, The Novel's Extra, Stop Friendly Fire and The Count's Family something young master.

It's like a relationship, no matter how close you are, a short break will lead an better reunion.

Anown likes this.
  14. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to read something fresh. Change the country to kor

Yabu and sonnen like this.
  15. Delusion

Delusion Dark lord

Reading List:
    Link
    You can switch to real novels.
    Starting with free kindle, you can later transition to those which cost money.:blobwink:

Although, nowadays most novels have also started pulling similar plots with different wordings. Primarily, most teen romance novels have basically become the same thing. Erotics are 50 shade copycats. Adult targeted novels are the only ones which are worth reading. Perhaps, fantasy and action as well.

If the discussion is based on NU, maybe you can novels like lord of the mysteries, or the grandmaster strategist

16. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    Got myself with 4 stitches on my head, definitely won't repeat it again :blobflag:

NTR? :blobdevil::blobdevil:

Recommend me, no BL and Yuri :blobsnow:

I definitely don't want to stop reading, and in the same time reading is the only source of enjoyment for me
    Maybe I need to watch movie?

Hmm.. maybe I can try it :blobokhand:

:blobconfounded::blobconfounded:

Spot on, are you a wizard? :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

Sherrynity and Kirikaize like this.
  17. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    2 things in my head when someone recommend me to read KR novels

Grinding and Cheating

Oh god, most Korean manhwa definitely got things with drama and cheating :sweating_profusely:

18. Kuroihagane

Kuroihagane Investi-gathor

Reading List:
    Link
    I never feel that way tbh, I just kinda miss daily updates on my favorite novels

19. Kikiji

Kikiji May or may not be here

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you just aren't finding novels that fit your expectations. Which isn't objectively bad, but can be bothersome.

People's tastes change over time, especially as they mature. I find that the novels and manga I used to like a lot were... just cringy when I reread them a few years later. But I still have nostalgic feelings for them so I try to just put that to the back of my mind and enjoy them. Of course if it's so bad that I can't enjoy them I drop it immediately and leave it as a "oh this is a story the old me liked."

So stuff that would have satisfied the old you hurts your eyes to read now. Maybe you liked Mary Sues in the past, but now they're annoying. Maybe you liked OP characters with a lot of cardboard supporting characters, and now it just comes off as unrealistic. It isn't wrong to like that kind of stuff, and if it's well written, it's still enjoyable. But out of the novels translated here, I would judge maybe 10% across all genres as objectively "good" or "well-written." (That's a bit of a generous estimate actually....) The rest either falls into the "trashy novels that I like" or "trashy novels that I don't like" categories. Good novels are so rare... that I basically lowered my standards and powered through the story out of desperation sometimes. That may be what you want to try doing now. Just don't think about stuff like "Is this good world building?" "Is the plot terrible?" Read it. Don't fuss about the details. Like it? Keep reading. Don't like it? Drop it. No need to analyze. (Unless you've giving a review of course.... In that case, analyze away.)

How do you find good stories? Ha. Haha. Um. Well there's no choice other than to look one by one. They're rare, and the star system tells you absolutely nothing. Good stories could fall on the lower end of 4 stars. And so many bad stories are rated 5 stars that just judging by the stars is completely unworth it. The majority here aren't literary critics. Anyway once you get desperate... you will eventually be pushed to look through them one by one. There are small tricks like checking stories from the same author, or getting recommendations from people who match your taste, but it's limited. (At least one thing's for sure. Most rated 3 stars or lower suck.)

Something that might help you tide over until you find another good story is rereading the ones you already like.

And... That's all I can come up with for your problem. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Anown, Kirikaize and Fluffy Jellyfish like this.
  20. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    You seem burnt out on reading genre.

Too much of a good thing ain't good.

If you keep eating your favorite sweet snack over and over, your bound to dislike it over time.

Just lay off certain writing styles, take time off, play some games or find a hobby. Interests are like moods, they change and adapt.

So in the mean time just look for another guilty pleasure. Dont keep forcing yourself to read.

Anown, Kikiji and Fluffy Jellyfish like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.