Spoiler Love in Another Life: My Gentle Tyrant

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by elparis, Apr 16, 2017.

1. catharcity

catharcity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

The Consort of Xuesong Palace - her child's father is not Long Fei-li.

The child's real father is Long Zijin, as a result of a drunken one night stand. Long Zijin doesn't know that the child is his, but Long Fei-li knows that the child is Long Zijin's. The reason why he plays along and pretends not to know, even taking that woman to be his consort, is because of 2 reasons. The first is to completely severe Long Zijin's affections to the Consort of Xuesong Palace, because he now thinks (and knows) that she is undeserving of his brother's love due to what she did/ her part in Long Xiuwen's conspiracies. The second is to repay Xuanji, by hurting her in the way she has hurt him. Remember he thinks that her child's father is Bai Zhanfeng...

LFL does not love the Consort of Xuesong Palace. He once thought he did, but he later acknowledged that he had confused gratitude, friendship, and familiarity with love. After he severed their affections, he is pretty much devoted and steadfast in his love to Xuanji. No more wavering, back and forths and all that. At the point of the execution, he only loves Xuanji.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. Feb

Feb New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, thanks so much for your answer!
    I know that at that time it was quite common for Emperor to have many wives but it would still be hard for me to cheer for a male lead that has other love interests in addition to the main lead.
    I just saw that you released today a new chapter, so interesting, thanks again for your hard work!!!

Winter Daphne likes this.
  3. Revenge-freak

Revenge-freak Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @catharcity
    How about their first lifetimes? can you tell me more?When will he MC n ML remember their first lifetime?
    Thank You, i like your translation, good luck and extra big thanks

4. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    In the first life, Xuanji = Zisu (the 7th daughter of the Celestial Emperor), and Long Fei-li = Long Hao (Dragon King). Zisu married Long Hao to be his Empress, but was unfavoured by him, because he loved Mo Cong, his consort. So Zisu was left in the cold palace.

Because Long Hao's influence was beginning to eclipse the Celestial Emperor's authority, the Celestial Emperor used Zisu as a pretext to start a war against Long Hao. Long story short, Zisu died saving Mo Cong and Long Hao. Xue Liujing, King of the Snow Wolves, whose life Zisu saved years ago, attacked Long Hao's castle and managed to save a silver of Zisu's soul.

Long Hao won the war and became the next Celestial Emperor. After the war, he made a deal with the deities/ Buddha and agreed to give up his celestial powers in exchange for Zisu to be reincarnated. Then he followed her to be reincarnated.

Their first lives ended in a tragedy.

They remember their first lives much later in the book, around the 80% mark. They fall in love in their 2nd lives without memories of their 1st lives.

But some of the others, like Xue Liujing, remember their first lives.

syofiaa, Biakushi, Marane101 and 8 others like this.
  5. xnekox

xnekox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @catharcity

First of all, thank you for translating this book! I came across the audiobook not so long ago but didn't pick it up due to the reviews/descriptions in Shushengbar (seems total angst!). But when I saw your translations I thought 'ok I'll give it a try' and wala! I have now started listening to the audiobook (segment 34 on ximalaya) just to find out what happens next. My mandarin isn't very good so I'm only understanding probably 60-70% of what's happening at best so your translations are very much appreciated.

Currently I still can't cheer for the ML ... I know it takes time and this is mainly following the FL but yeah ... I just feel for the female lead too much. I'm up to the part where they're out of the palace, visiting her family's home and where she's planning on scoping out her "escape". Part of me is like "Run Away!" make him realise what he's missing ... XD

Anyway a few questions:
    1. Who does the embroidered pouch that he has belong to? The one where she went into the lake(?) to retrieve for him.
    2. Does Qing Feng like her or what's his story? I read on your character description page that he both loves and hates her ... so does she love her? XD

Anyway, thank you so much for picking up and translating this book! Keep up the good work =)

[edit]
    Ok so I now know who the embroidered pouch belongs to (for those who's listening it happens around segments 60-64 of the audiobook if I remember correctly). And if I'm joining the dots correctly it's also the same person as the "Consort of Xuesong Palace"? When I was up to that part I was hit with the "stomach drops" feeling for her and then the next part happens and I'm like "ok I HOPE this is the turning point!" in regards to the ML =).

Also the ML getting jealous and realising she's a hot item ... :D

Few more questions:
    3. Who is Bai Zixu - from your character list you listed him out as two characters but is he actually only one in Xi Liang (i.e. Bai Zhanfeng is Bai Zixu vice versa)? or are they really two separate people?
    4. Is the "blue-eyed-guy" Xue Liujing?

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    syofiaa and alexfilia like this.
  6. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    The reviews/ descriptions @ shushengbar aren't entirely wrong though. This book was written for masochists. Finally, an author gets it. Thank you for writing this book!! <3 But to be fair it's also not 'total angst' cause it has a sweetness even within the angst. I once saw a review that said the first time you read this novel, it will seem like an angst novel, but on subsequent reads, it comes across as a sweet novel, which I thought was a fairly accurate perception of the book.

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. Wen Xinyi aka Consort Yi aka the Consort of Xuesong Palace. Actually you can tell from the names, cause 温心漪 = 漪妃 haha

2. Qingfeng is a really weird character. A lot of people dislike him but I think he's kind of interesting because of how conflicted he feels. He loves her, but because he is very loyal to LFL, he chooses not to act on his feelings. The way his logic goes is that, as long as LFL is the one Xuanji is with, then he is okay with it. That's also why he acted so indifferent/callous when she was sentenced to be executed, because he thought that she had betrayed LFL for Bai Zhanfeng. And he also thought, if Xuanji wanted to betray LFL anyway, why did she choose Bai Zhanfeng instead of him?

------

Yeah, eps 60 onwards is where the angst begins for real. The beginning (after the execution arc and before ep 60) with An Jin and Nian Yaoguang is like a warmup. >.< Eps 62 and 63 (若有再生 - if there is an afterlife) is the first major turning point and tears were shed. T_T From ep 60 onward, the torture comes and goes, but ends around ep 130, then it's so sweet that it's almost ridiculous cause they can't stop cuddling XD. Seriously, get a room :p But it's good therapy for all the suffering the author put us through, and also a buffer for eps 187-192 (which depicts the lead up to the execution). I personally feel that eps 187-192 is the most heartwrenching part of the book, cause it happened after they fell in love. So everything just hurts much worse.

YES! Somewhere during eps 60-130 you'll start wishing that Xuanji just leaves with Bai Zhanfeng instead, especially during the 心灰意冷 episodes (I can't remember which ep of the audiobook it is, but I think it's around 105+). I'm a huge fan of LFL but I also really liked Bai Zhanfeng, who is like a beacon of warmth in the whole mess... But Bai Zhanfeng & Xuanji is a doomed ship because we know right from the beginning that Bai Zhanfeng is killed in the battle of Xuelan Mountains.

------

3. Bai Zixu is Lin Sheng. The real Bai Zixu died a long time ago. In the first life, after Xue Liujing died, his soul, obsessed with hate & love, split into three during his reincarnation: Lin Sheng, Bai Zhanfeng, and Xue Liujing. Lin Sheng is the 'evil' soul; Bai Zhanfeng the 'good'; Xue Liujing the 'obsessed' (the one who can't let go of the past life).

4. Yeah, it's Xue Liujing. The deity who gave Xue Liujing that journal is also the ML (Shangguan Jinghong/ Fei Tian) of the author's other book, fei wo qingcheng. :) If you liked this novel, you can try reading qingcheng too. But a warning that Shangguan Jinghong is a lot more cruel than LFL... like a lot. If this novel were 50% angst 50% fluff, then qingcheng is somewhere 85% angst and 15% fluff.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  7. xnekox

xnekox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @catharcity Thank you!!

As I'm posting I'm now up to segment 99 of the audiobook - the part where LFL is given the option of returning to see Ru Yi or going with XiaoQi to get the medicine for her face ... and seriously ... he probably has a good reason to choose to return but threatening her with her family after he has decided to return so that she wouldn't run away? :mad: At this point I'm really thinking 'just go with BZF!!!' He was so sweet to her when she lost of memories + went crazy + had her face ruined :cry:

Knowing that he dies in battle to protect the country (? I assume this is what that battle was for - from the Xiong Nu) ... makes me so sad for him :cry:. I really dislike this wishy washy ML at the moment but at the same time I kind of understand ... he grew up with Ru Yi/Xin Yi and have always "loved" her. I guess if Ru Yi was the female lead then I would be feeling super sorry for her ... but she's not so I get to not like her =D and also not like the ML's lingering feelings for her.

What's the whole coffin thing in the modern times ... what's that about? I assume the FL doesn't die at around 25 ... so who are the "bodies" they recover?

syofiaa, Biakushi and sharlnina like this.
  8. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, Bai Zhanfeng was killed fighting for Xi Liang. During the execution @ the beginning, Xuanji said that the reason why Bai Zhanfeng died was because LFL refused to deploy reinforcements even after it was made possible when the Xi Liang army won at the other battle in Yueluo. But the truth is not like that...

I think no matter what the LFL does, there'll always be people unhappy with him. Comparing Bai Zhanfeng and Long Fei-li, one is a flawless character that's impossible not to love, and the other is flawed and imperfect. I guess if the author wanted to, she could have just saved all the trouble and made Bai Zhanfeng the super doting & perfect ML, but then it'd just be the usual historical/ time travel/ reincarnation romance... not very fun and not nearly heartwrenching enough :p

14 years vs 3 months - there's no right answer no matter what Long Fei-li does. If he chooses the 14 years, people are going to hate him because they feel for Xuanji. If he chooses the 3 months he has known Xuanji for (discounting their past lives, which they currently have no memory of), people are going to say he's fickle and callous, because it's 14 years of familiarity and kinship that he's ignoring after all.

I agree that Ruyi is quite a sympathetic character, or at least until the 斩杀百人 (executing a 100 people) arc. Anyway Ruyi's modern-day reincarnation, Xin Zhuizhui, is the one I can't stand. Consort Yi's soul is actually Xin Zhuizhui, because by then, the original Ruyi is no longer around.

The two bodies in the coffin are Zhu Qi and Xin Zhuizhui. But the Zhu Qi body doesn't have a soul. The soul residing in Zhuizhui's body belongs to Jia Yuhuan. LFL buried Yuhuan together with Zhu Qi's body because it's symbolic how Yuhuan was the one accompanying Zhu Qi/ Zisu by her side in both lives.

Biakushi, Maikh, proudyleo and 4 others like this.
  9. xnekox

xnekox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @catharcity =O

I'm up to segment 129 at the moment (the other Fei's were bullying Die Feng and Cui Ya). I'll have to say I think from 60-125? I feel like both of them didn't have a break ... injuries (she sacrificed/got hurt like what, 4-5 times? and he got stabbed and injured like 2-3 times) and misunderstanding/miscommunications (e.g. him choosing Ruyi, the hairbrush, her with BZF) happening one after another ... I mean even 7th prince joined in to try to pull them apart ... as if they don't do a good enough job themselves already XD I think segment 125 is the "finally" moment regarding LFL's feelings towards Ruyi being made clear to the FL.

Anyway, in regards to Ruyi ... does that mean her character "dies" as well? and Xin Zhuizhui's soul take over? =O Does she know FL is XiaoQi? If she does, I'm really not liking her character in all her lives/reincarnations =\

And it's so confusing with the body and soul thing @_@ I'm assuming from the description about them "recovering" the features of the bodies faces, the bodies belong to modern day XZZ and ZQ? How did they get there (xi liang)?! and does modern day JYH go back as well AND dies? whatttt ... XD

Question, up to this point the little snow wolf seems to have gone MIA again. Does the snow wolf play any important role? Is he someone's reincarnation or just a snow wolf? [EDIT] Nevermind I know who the little snow wolf is - I think I got very confused when the "blue-eyed-guy" appeared, didn't realise he was the little wolf in this time period =.= A result of not being able to fully understand mandarin D=

Also when do they recover their memories of their past lives? Is it after the "execution" scene? and has BZF already started remembering? (There's a seen where he sees a scene of Zisu holding him in wolf form while he was looking at the current FL in the earlier chapters). [EDIT] I know Long Xiuwen already remembers, when do the others start remembering?

Also does the ML find out the truth about her (2nd) pregnancy - before or after she returns from her three year coma?

As of now I do accept the male lead ... XD probably because BZF isn't really in this part of the book and male lead is being a good ML atm =) I'm currently up to 140s ... gearing up for those angsty 180-190 segments D=

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Biakushi and therandomcookie like this.
  10. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    Ep~129 is kind of funny cause An Jin got owned hahaha. Finally something more lighthearted after eps60-125 XD

Ruyi commits suicide shortly after the 斩杀百人 (executing a 100 people) arc. Xin Zhuizhui then time travels to her body, just like how Zhu Qi first time travelled to Nian Xuanji's body after the original Xuanji hung herself. Yeah, Xin Zhuizhui knows the soul in Xuanji's body is Zhu Qi/ Xiaoqi.

Yep, those bodies belong to Xin Zhuizhui and Zhu Qi. They time travelled to Xi Liang after Xuanji lapsed into a coma after the execution. Modern day Jia Yuhuan time traveled to Xi Liang via Zhuizhui's body because her own body was burned to ashes by Lin Sheng. Jia Yuhuan eventually trades her life for Xuanji's.

Haha yeah Xue Liujing is the snow wolf. He was the King of the Snow Wolves in his previous life. <3

Long Fei-li and Xuanji only remember their first lives after the execution. They are the last to remember. Long Xiuwen recovered his memory pretty early on, Bai Zhanfeng is beginning to sense something is amiss, particularly with Bai Zixu. Xin Zhuizhui also recovers her memory before LFL and Xuanji, but she is tricked into thinking that she is Zisu instead of Mo Cong...... Lol. Except the consequences are disastrous.

LFL finds out the truth before she awakens from her 3 yr coma. But Xuanji does not know that he already knows.

Enjoy the 140s&150s! iirc 160s focuses on Yuzhi and Xia Sang.

syofiaa, Biakushi, Maikh and 3 others like this.
  11. xnekox

xnekox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @catharcity
    I'm currently up to 178 and I'm hating Ruyi/Xin Zhuizhui =\ URGH and why does she think she is Zisu? Does she actually have Zisu's memories?

Also I'm not a fan of Ru(?)Fei (LFL's birth mother). I really dislike it when the MLs have a mother who favours the other woman + forces/wants her son to marry said other woman T_T

Yuzhi and Xia Sang's bit was cute-ish! I can't believe it lasted so many segments though ... their "marriage" part XD And I must have missed it but:
    Why/how did Xia Song not become a real Eunach? and LFL allowed that?

Also when does the happy parts start again ... XD I'm currently fearing chapters 187+

[EDIT] Omg segment 180-182 T_T so sad for both Xuanji and BZF =\

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  12. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    Xin Zhuizhui was manipulated by Long Xiuwen. I don't think she has Zisu's memories, but because Zisu & Long Hao's lives pass into history as a legend, she knows how Zisu's first life went, the way Zisu died to save Long Hao & Mo Cong.

About Xia Sang, I don't think the author really mentioned why he wasn't a real eunuch. Or if there was a reason, I didn't really remember it cause it wasn't very important.

Honestly, I was annoyed with Long Fei-li's birth mother too. After the Grand Empress Dowager was banished and Empress Dowager Wen tortured and/or executed, another old lady had to pop up and start meddling. If not for Empress Dowager Ru, Long Xiuwen would have been executed on the day of the rebellion, the 心蛊王 ("poison") within Long Fei-li would have faded, and the events in Yanxia would never have occurred. Xuanji would not have been sentenced to execution, and Long Fei-li would not have spent the next 3-4 years living with the sole purpose of avenging her. Because Long Fei-li's birth mother saved Long Xiuwen's life that day, she indirectly precipitated that chain of events. Sigh.

But at the same time, it's also hard to hate Long Fei-li's birth mother because she did have good intentions even if those intentions were misguided... And as for her liking towards Ruyi, it's also understandable. She had lived as a human swine for over a decade, her limbs amputated, her eyes gouged out, her hair ripped off, and Ruyi was the one who spent 10 years by Empress Dowager Wen's side to rescue her, so naturally she'd be grateful to Ruyi... understandable even if unpalatable.

Which also makes it a lot sadder during Xuanji and Long Fei-li's fallout when Long Fei-li mocks himself for for having once chosen Xuanji over his mother who he had finally reunited with after a decade. He said, “年璇玑,这天下,从来没有一个人,让我如此对待过。七岁开始,我想着的只有怎样从那些人手里把父皇交给我的江山夺回,不做傀儡之王,把我的母妃救出来,因为她是我龙非离的母亲。我早该杀了你。值得我去谋去想的只有这个云苍大陆而非你,我却每天想着你的身子好不好,只怕你不开心,我对我的母亲说,你年璇玑是我龙非离的愿望。”

('Nian Xuanji, in this world, there was not one person who I treasured the way I did you. From when I was seven, my mind was preoccupied only with thoughts to seize back the kingdom my father left to me and not be a puppet Emperor; to rescue my mother, because she was my mother. I should have killed you a long time ago. The only thing worth my attention was this country and not you, yet everyday, my mind was filled with thoughts on whether your body was well, whether you were unhappy. I told my mother that you, Nian Xuanji, are my dream.')

T_T

Ep ~212 is the beginning of the end, where the story begins to wrap up and everything in Yanxia (& its aftermath) is made clear in the open. Then it's happy all the way to the end.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  13. xnekox

xnekox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @catharcity Thank you for introducing me to this book and also providing spoilers! I have finished this book now - not really sure how to feel about it because the last chapters were a blur to me!

I have a few questions.
    1. In the extra stories afterwards, what was that arc about them travelling to see LFL's master about? The whole mountain and meeting the Jianghu people part. Who's the servant they took back with them?
    2. Probably same as above but who exactly is Ling Long(?)?
    3. I can't believe the author chucked another heart breaking story in right at the end with Ling Long and Long Wu Sheng(? not sure how to pinyin XD). Is that it to their story? =\
    4. I think I missed it because I was pretty confused with the whole fight scene thing, was it LFL vs Bai Zixu? and then ZQ sacrificed herself? What happened to Ruyi/Zhuizhui? She was sent to hell? @_@
    5. And then with her whole body thing, when LFL knew she was XuanJi she went back into XuanJi's body but then scenes after she's back in ZQ's body? and then I assume she went back to XuanJi's body? So confused there =.=

I think I may need to listen to chapters 212-231 again but yeah ... I felt like it jumped around a lot and I got mixed up with peoples names and whats happening (the audiobook also had a chapter out of order so I got confused there as well =.=).

But anyways, what a journey! I don't think I've ever had a book where the Author has made me both love and hate the male lead so much at the same time XD! Can't help but think some of the heartbreak could be avoided if they just told each other things .. like if he just told her beforehand that he will be purging the Nian family ... was it necessary to keep it from her? =\

Anyway, I'll need to take a long break before deciding if I will read her other two books XD Need something light and fluffy to break up the angst XD! (In saying that I'm currently reading the translated version of Lost You Forever) =.=

14. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    The main story ends at ep 222. Eps 223-231 are the extra stories, which doesn't follow a chronological timeline, so it may be confusing.

1. They travelled there to pay their last respects to LFL's master, who was about to pass away. The servant they took back was Er Cang; she was the descendant of another country which LFL had conquered.

2. Linlang is Er Cang's daughter. LFL and Xuanji adopted Linlang, but she followed Xuanji's family name, so her name is Nian Linlang.

3. Yeah. The extra stories follow the lives of their children: Long Wushuang (LFL and Xuanji's only son), Nian Linlang (LFL and Xuanji's adopted daughter), Duan Xiaotong (Duan Yuhuan and Yue Jingying's daughter), and Long Wugou (Long Zijin and Wen Ruyi's son). Long Wushuang and Linlang's story doesn't end here. They're mentioned in fei wo qing cheng. But their story isn't exactly complete in fei wo qing cheng either.

4. It was Lin Sheng. Xin Zhuizhui, Long Xiuwen and Lin Sheng are imprisoned. Long Fei-li put a spell such that they're forced to watch them live their lives in happiness, until they finally die from the agony... because living is a worse punishment than death.

5. Long Fei-li recognised Zhu Qi before she went back to Xuanji's body. Hence he saved Jia Yuhuan, because Jia Yuhuan was Zhu Qi's friend, not Xuanji's.

The purging the Nian family part: the author did mention why it was necessary. Earlier, it's been established that Xuanji is a very open person, her feelings/emotions are displayed quite clearly on her face. In order to successfully deceive the Empress Dowager, Xuanji needed to believe in it. To Long Fei-li, a moment's relief is not worth a lifetime of agony, and I agree with him.

As for fei wo qing cheng, Shangguan Jinghong's actions and thoughts are even more difficult to decipher with only one read as compared to Long Fei-li, so unless you're prepared to read closely and read twice to connect the dots, I'd say don't bother, because you'll just end up hating him. :)

15. xnekox

xnekox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @catharcity Thank you!! =)

I forgot about him explaining XuanJi's open emotions! -sigh- I guess the author has made it so that the events happen one after another and the leads are all forced to do what they need to to protect their loved ones.

After finishing the book and thinking about all the things the male lead did, I fully understand why people will name him one of the best male leads. He may appear cruel but everything he does has a reason behind it and those reasons aren't wishy-washy either. Actually nearly every character's actions have their own reasons and backing - no matter if its good or not. I don't like a lot of characters in this book because of their actions but when you stop and think in their perspectives, you end up thinking, "ok I know why they did that ... but still T_T". For this I commend the author. She's managed to create a story with a lot of characters and she gave every character a backstory or at least a legit motive behind their actions.

Another thing the author does really well is she makes you feel right alongside the main characters. Like with Long Wushuang & Nian LinLang's story right at the end. So short yet it already draws you in, feeling the heartbreak alongside the main character!
    If you have time I'll like to know more about their story (even if its unfinished) =)

I think I really need to go through this book again to fully understand everything that happens. I hope you'll continue translating the book because I'll much prefer reading it (in english) as opposed to trying to decipher the story via limited mando XD!!

Winter Daphne and syofiaa like this.
  16. Jiye

Jiye Not Available

Reading List:
    Link
    And anyone knows why MC transmigrated to ancient China in her second life? It's because ML is there? When she dies in her second life, as consort Nian, she really die? Or is temporary? She will be resurrected?
    Who are Long Xiuwen in MC's first life? Do you say he is in love with her in their past lifes, alright? How was their relationship previously?
    And who are the person (if he is a person) who speak with MC after she "die" in the firsts chapters? Before she saw her life or past in a mirror (or whatever, I forgot if it was really a mirror).
    And why LFL wanted MC's reincarnate after she die in first life? It's just because she saved him and his Consort? Didn't you say he despise her? So they didn't interact a lot, yes? But after all he is in love with her? What? I am confused.
    I really like ML, he is cruel but at the same time he is so emotional and infatuated, I don't know how I can explain my feelings well.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    syofiaa and Luyan like this.
  17. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's what I remember of Long Wushuang & Nian Linlang's story (might be slightly inaccurate cause of my faulty memory):

In their childhood, Long Wushuang was very protective of Nian Linlang. Some stuff happened involving Duan Xiaotong (this part was in the extra stories of the audiobook :p) and Long Wushuang mistakenly 'transferred' his affections to Duan Xiaotong. Duan Xiaotong married him and became his one and only Empress during their time on earth in Xi Liang.

At the same time, Long Wushuang married Linlang off to a foreign Prince of another country out of political motivations. On the day of her marriage, however, he led his army and conquered that country, then brought his people and barged into their wedding room, hence preventing them from consumating their marriage.

Years later, all of them return to Heaven where Long Fei-li and Nian Xuanji have been residing. Long Wushuang and Linlang arranged to meet, but Long Wushuang did not turn up after 7 days. Later, one of Xia Sang's children (Xia Yu or Xia Xue - can't remember who) appeared and told Linlang that Duan Xiaotong was carrying Long Wushuang's child, then advised her to leave.

So Linlang left. Because the Heavens was in a war (Long Fei-li, Shangguan Jinghong (ML of 《fei wo qing cheng》) and the deities supporting them vs. some other deities), Nian Linlang ends up grieviously injured, but her life is ultimately saved.

In 《fei wo qing cheng》 (set after Love in Another Life), Nian Linlang was the one who let Qiao Chu (FL of 《fei wo qing cheng》) time-travel, with the help of Xuanji. In the process, Xuanji exhausts her powers, and she and Linlang wait for Long Fei-li to find them in the 21st century China. Long Fei-li eventually leads his army and tracks them down, then brings Xuanji back to Heaven, where he shuts himself in with her in their Palace while she recovers and denies everyone entry.

Anyway, some time later in 《fei wo qing cheng》, we learn that Nian Linlang has since became Long Wushuang's consort, and is also carrying his child. In the brief moments we see them, their dynamics have pretty much evolved and it's quite clear that Long Wushuang loves her.

Some years later, in the ending of《fei wo qing cheng》 where Shangguan Jinghong sealed himself with the dead Qiao Chu inside Qiao Chu's mausoleum, it was mentioned that the people who gathered outside Qiao Chu's tomb included Long Fei-li, Nian Xuanji, Long Wushuang and Nian Linlang. No mention of Duan Xiaotong, implying that she is probably out of the picture by then.

In the last extra story of Love in Another Life, it was revealed that Lu Song took away Duan Xiaotong's memories of Long Wushuang. So the final pairings became Long Wushuang and Nian Linlang; Duan Xiaotong and Long Wugou, after a long circle. In the first place, Long Wugou and Duan Xiaotong were arranged from birth to be married, while the one Long Wushuang loved was Nian Linlang.

--

Haha but some people are disgruntled with Long Wushuang, because in the print version of the book, Long Wushuang once said, "Not every Emperor can be like Long Fei-li, to love only one woman in his entire life".

I think a lot of the conflict has to do with the whole biased perspective narrative. Because we mostly follow Xuanji's POV, Long Fei-li comes across as cruel and heartless. Like the part with Luo Jin near the end... on first read, it was really demoralising and despairing when you witness this new lookalike 'replace’ Xuanji during her fallout with Long Fei-li. It's only much later where we finally see what actually happened with Luo Jin, who Long Fei-li only took as Xuanji's substitute. The part where Long Fei-li looked at the sleeping Luo Jin and imagined her to be Xuanji, then said, “小七,朕看着你睡,不怕噩梦。” ("Xiaoqi, I will watch over you as you sleep, there's no need to be scared of the nightmares.") was so touching... one of the rare times we get to see the other side of Long Fei-li, beyond Xuanji's perspective. T_T

18. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, Xuanji time-travelled to Xi Liang because that's where the reincarnated Long Fei-li was.

Yes, she really died, but was resurrected with the lengxiang pill. Then she lapsed into a coma, which will last 3-4 years.

Long Xiuwen was the God of War under the original Celestial Emperor, who was Xuanji's father. He was in love with Zisu (Xuanji's 1st life), thus he made an exchange with the Celestial Emperor, to lead the army in the war against Long Hao (Long Fei-li's 1st life) and to marry Zisu when he won. But he lost the war.

Their relationship in the first life was ok, but it's not really elaborated upon.

That person is Xue Liujing.

Before Zisu (Xuanji's 1st life) married Long Hao (Long Fei-li's 1st life), they had met once, without knowing each other's true identities, and it was implied that Long Hao seemed to have feelings for Zisu.

Their first lives are not gone into detail because readers don't get to "see" their first lives; we're only "told" of their first lives in the form of a legend that passes into Xi Liang's history, since Long Hao and Zisu are the Celestial Emperor and Empress, hence their lives are well-known to the common people. The later generations are left wondering whether Long Hao truly loved Zisu. But when Long Fei-li and Xuanji were discussing this legend (without knowing that the legend was actually talking about their first lives), Xuanji said that she didn't think Long Hao loved Zisu, while Long Fei-li seemed to think otherwise. So it echoes their first lives, where Long Hao actually loved Zisu, but Zisu did not think he did.

Is Long Fei-li emotional? Honestly, he is only emotional when it comes to Xuanji, and even then, he tends to favour logic over his heart, which is the reason why Xuanji's life is so difficult. I wouldn't say he is infatuated either, since it implies an intense but short-lived love. Rather, I think Long Fei-li's love is too possessive, bordering on obsessive -- it's all or nothing; if he loves a person, he gives them his everything and prioritises them above all else; if he doesn't, then he can, and will, be extremely cruel and unsympathetic to them.

19. Eis

Eis ❄❅Queen of Ice❅❄

Reading List:
    Link
    @catharcity Then, what was MC and ML's reaction when they finally remember their 1st life? Would there be misunderstanding? Bc originally MC thought that ML didn't love her? Would there be conflict? Would they talk about it, or just let it pass?

Winter Daphne likes this.
  20. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    They remember their first lives very late in the story, almost at the conclusion, at a point where they've overcome so many things that happened between them. There's no misunderstandings when they remember their first life, it's mostly happiness for having gotten their happy ending in their second lives having missed it in their first lives.

In the first life, Zisu didn't think that Long Hao loved her. But the reincarnated Zisu didn't have her memories, and when she recovered them, there was no longer any doubt about the love she and the reincarnated Long Hao shared, so there's no conflict. Although this is a reincarnation story, the important part of the first life is how the characters relate to each other, as opposed to what actually happened. Mostly, the first life has been over and done with a thousand years ago; the only people who can't let go of the first life are Long Xiuwen, Xin Zhuizhui and Xue Liujing. Zisu traded her life willingly for Long Hao and Mo Cong; Long Hao traded his powers willingly for Zisu to be reincarnated; everything is over, they made their choices without grudge. The second life is the important life. :)

Winter Daphne, syofiaa, Maikh and 3 others like this.