Spoiler Love in Another Life: My Gentle Tyrant

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by elparis, Apr 16, 2017.

1. SpicyJokeOne

SpicyJokeOne New Member

Reading List:
    Link

Tell me in details pls translator-nim! T.T

When he found out about the truth and when they finally reunited for good.

I’m desperate lol. I wish I could read Chinese! I have the novel on my iphone but it just there.. waiting to be read. TLMs are hopeless and they don’t even make any sense.

Also, a question. What’s your favorite part/scene from this book? @catharcity

Marane101 and Zoeh like this.
  2. catharcity

catharcity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When they finally reunited for good, it's a lot of fluff, but there's also little bit of sadness within the fluff. Because Xuanji is a blank slate without her memories, we see LFL doting on her, trying his best to help her recover her memories... Anyway, this part is the therapeutic part after all the trauma in the front.

My favourite parts, or at least the scenes I re-read most often are all the heartwrenching ones... when Xuanji was banished to prison at the very end (this is the height of the angst), when LFL contemplates silencing her after she discovers the identity of Xinyi; when she trades her life for his arm; when she is finally disillusioned; and also the arc when he executes a hundred people for her.

syofiaa, Marane101, Maikh and 4 others like this.
  3. SpicyJokeOne

SpicyJokeOne New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What will happen to his empress? Is she gonna stay as the empress at the end of the book or will Xuanji replace her? Will Xuanji stay as his concubine/consort forever?

4. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    Empress is deposed after the execution. Xuanji becomes the new Empress while unconscious. At the end of the novel, she is the only person remaining. The other consorts are either dead or exiled from the palace.

SpicyJokeOne likes this.
  5. fvistar

fvistar Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She trades her life AGAIN for his arm? WHAATTTT?!!!!! Also would you mind explaining what happens in the execution of 100 people arc, only if you don't mind? I already appreciate you just translating this novel for us and even answering spoilers for us is even more fantastic. Thank you for all that you do!!

6. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    Err yeah. From what I noticed, there are generally two kinds of angst c-novels: the bittersweet, heavy kind where nothing dramatic happens, but is still extremely depressing to read (something like Shattered Glass/ Hansheng), and then there's the dramatic rollercoaster where the author throws in every possible cliche like MGT haha.

Trading her life was just a part of it. To save Xinyi, LFL willingly trades his arm; to save Long Fei-li, Xuanji willingly trades her life without hesitation. Was it worth it? I don't know. But later, Xinyi wondered if things would have turned out differently, if that day, she too had been willing to sacrifice her life for Long Fei-li's arm. In the end, Xuanji drags Murong Lin off the cliff with her, and her last words were, 'Long Fei-li, take care.' Long Fei-li jumps after her, and manages to save her life before she hits the water. They stay at a small village for a short period of time while the others track them down.

Execution arc happened after Long Fei-li and Xuanji become a 1:1 couple. For military reasons, Long Fei-li has to leave the capital for a few days, and even though he wants to bring Xuanji along with him, he cannot. So he leaves her a secret edict, which says that even if she committed a crime while he is away, the court has to suspend all judgment until he returns (so that the Empress Dowager cannot trial and sentence her on her own accord).

By that time, An Jin has been demoted to Yu Mixiu's servant. An Jin and Yu Mixiu concoct a plan to frame Xuanji for Yu Mixiu's miscarriage (because it is apparent that Yu Mixiu will not successfully see the pregnancy through). The Empress Dowager, in her wrath, wants to trial Xuanji, but Xuanji succeeds in convincing her to summon all the court ministers & her two servants for the trial. Because Long Fei-li's secret edict is with her servants, by bringing them to the trial in the presence of the court officials, the court officials who bow only to the Emperor will ensure that the Empress Dowager respects Long Fei-li's edict. So the Empress Dowager will not be able to trial her on the pretext of governing the harem, and she will be able to await Long Fei-li's return from Yanxia.

But Diefeng, who once served and was taught by Wen Ruyi, is unwittingly deceived and hands the edict to Ruyi. Ruyi, as the Empress Dowager's attendant, hands the edict to the Empress Dowager.

So Xuanji's plans fail. For her crime in the use of black magic, she was sentenced to be flogged to death. A lot more things happen, but long story short, this was the scene that Long Fei-li returned to. He had only just reached Yanxia when he had the premonition that something was amiss, so he turned back immediately. Otherwise, it'd have been too late.

Because of this, An Jin and the majority of the Yu Mixiu's people are executed for their role in precipitating this event; Jixiang escapes death by fleeing; Ruyi was held at Long Fei-li's swordpoint, but ultimately spared after Long Zijin (& Xuanji) pleads on her behalf. She leaves the palace afterwards.

When Long Fei-li was overseeing the execution, Xuanji, who had just woken from her unconsciousness, stumbled upon the scene and was horror struck by the image she saw of him. All the blood staining the grounds, and he stood in the middle of it all. And at that moment, Bai Zhanfeng, dressed in white as he always did, appeared. The author's contrast between Long Fei-li, with his hands stained in blood, his morals questionable, versus Bai Zhanfeng, forever the upright, untouchable, highly principled man, is extremely poignant in that image. I don't know why, but I felt a little sad for Long Fei-li.

7. QBAy

QBAy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Catharcity, could you please elaborate on when Zhu Qi (in her real body) interacts with Long Fei Li!

8. fvistar

fvistar Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you!! Also, one more thing that I have been confused about is that Ruyi is Xinyi right? At the point of the execution arc, he didn't love her anymore? So it was Xuanji sacrificing her life for LFL's arm that came first. I know that Consort Yi later on is actually a transmigration of one of Xuanji's friends and is a reincarnation of Mocong basically the same as what happened to Zhu Qi/ Xuanji. Once again, catharcity, you are awesome! Thank you!

9. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    When she wakes up after the execution arc. Around the last 20%ish of the novel.

Yeah. He never loved her. It was gratitude & familiarity, confused with love. As he later said: before he met Xuanji, there was no one in his heart, so he thought that the best way he could repay Xinyi was to give her all that he would have given the woman he loved (the title of his Empress, naming her son his Crown Prince, etc). Later, there only came to be someone in his heart after he met Xuanji.

10. SpicyJokeOne

SpicyJokeOne New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I pray for other translator to pick up this project becauce the current one decided to discontinue their translation.

Ah, I'm so sad. This book is my priority right now and knowing it's discontinued really saddens me.

Zoeh likes this.
  11. bernzilla

bernzilla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same! Im honestly trying hard not to bawl my eyes out because i love the translator and novel, but we cant blame her bcoz life happens. Sadddddd please someone pick this up!!

12. fvistar

fvistar Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She's still finishing the novel! It'll be summarized but she's still translating the important parts and the angsty parts! Honestly, it doesn't even feel summarized. I applaud and thank catharcity for doing this and all the hard work to give us fans a closure. Really appreciate it! This is one of my favorite chinese novels!

Zoeh likes this.
  13. bernzilla

bernzilla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yassss! Really happy that she did and I completely agree that it doesnt feel summarized at all. The feels are still therr and my gosh! The leads are turning our so damn fine despite the angst

14. soriya

soriya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm so late to the party scene and I think I just gave myself information overload by reading the last four pages of spoilers from you wonderful readers. :D So I just want to make sure I'm caught up with the whole lifetime things because I kept on getting confused because I started reading the novel but everything just felt all jumbled to me right now.

1st lifetime: they were immortals that ended with her sacrificing her life for his and his first love. he realized he loves her, made a deal to bring back her soul, then went to reincarnate to be with her.
    2nd lifetime: This is where I'm a bit confused because someone mentioned in the thread that there is no third lifetime. What I got is this (please correct me if I'm wrong):
    - they have no memories of their first life
    - she was his consort but at the beginning, he doesn't love her cause he has another woman in his heart
    - he later fell for her but due to misunderstanding (the whole pregnancy due to rape arc), he executed her
    - after the execution, he found out the truth and felt remorseful
    - he managed to save her life but she relapse into a coma for 3-4 years
    - somehow, her soul went to the future, then managed to come back to ancient China but in a different woman's body
    - eventually, they reconciled and have their HE

And that is all I got. My questions are as follows:
    1. Is it after the execution the time he also got his memories of the 1st lifetime back?
    2. how did he find out that her soul is in a different woman's body and did she ever return to that body? This also confuses me because afte chapter 15, she returns into consort nian's body. Isn't this body orginally hers? So did she return to an earlier time?
    3. I'm so confused when reading the translations, perhaps because it picks up during the execution and she went into a coma.

I'm actually at the part where she jumped into the water to pick up that water pouch and the following chapter where he is sleeping with her. and because I haven't picked up this story in a long time, I'm actually lost. Is the story going back tot he beginning to before she went into a coma following the execution? or is this her soul returning to her body before the execution happens to replay the events leading to it? if that latter is true, why was she still heartbroken when she found that his heart belongs to the owner of the pouch? Unless, she also forgotten her memories again. And who is that owner of the pouch?

I feel like the story is kinna jumping around for me.

15. xnekox

xnekox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thought I'll reply to this quickly! Read this a while ago now so can't remember 100% of all events. Maybe @catharcity can help!

1st lifetime - you're correct
    2nd lifetime/3rd lifetime - Female lead actually was reincarnated into modern day post 1st lifetime. But an encounter with the "blue eyed man" led to her soul being sent back in time/another world where she becomes "Nian XuanJi" (or takes over the body). The story then progresses on to what you're reading now from the translations. She was always his consort in this life and he did fall in love with her. He thought he loved the "childhood friend" (owner of the pouch) at first but then later realised that was more "family love". Anyway a lot happens in the middle, a lot of heart break, sweet moments, misunderstandings etc. etc. She does get raped and gets pregnant but that's not the reason for her execution. He was hurt but he never betrayed her. The whole execution thing had nothing to do with her pregnancy, it was other political reasons (I can't remember clearly what was the reason anymore). He didn't want her to die but at the same time he was hurt because she wouldn't tell him who got her pregnant and made him believe the baby was the generals. He didn't know she was already severely injured and was loosing a lot of blood + baby. She dies while brushing his hair (first chapters). Anyway she "dies"/in coma and her soul is taken back to the modern day where she was shown the MLs side of the story - cleared a lot of misunderstandings on her end. While this happened, Nian XuanJi's body was still in a coma, ML finds out the truth behind her rape/pregnancy, feels heartbroken and decided that if she doesn't wake up in X years he will join her in death.
    3rd lifetime (I guess) - FL gets sent back in her modern day body and given another chance to be together with the ML but her task is to make him realise she is Nian XuanJi while still in her modern day body but can't outright tell him. More stuff happens in this arc including battles and them finally remembering their 1st lifetime together.

1. Execution is before he got his memories back
    2. Answered it above I think =)

That is a very quick summary/timeline of events ... hope it clears up some of your questions/confusions!

16. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, basically what xnekox said.

Yes. The story's timeline is going back to the beginning, not her soul. It's a flashback. She has already lived all of these moments, and is not re-doing them, so there's no memory to lose/ forget. She's just watching, via the mirror (ch 14), what has already happened (ch 15 onwards).

Chronological order:
    Emperor Qingjia's 14th year: Zhu Qi time travels to NXJ's body, meets LFL, and spends 3 years with him. (ch 15 onwards)
    Emperor Qingjia's 17th year: NXJ is executed. (ch 1-13)

The way the author wrote the book:
    Starts with Emperor Qingjia's 17th year (the execution in ch 1-13) --> Flashback to the 14th year (showing how NXJ and LFL first met from ch 15 onwards) --> Eventually the novel's timeline merges back to the 17th year and beyond (showing the aftermath of the execution - i haven't translated this last 1/5th of the book yet).

It's a little confusing in the beginning, but there's no jumping around once the author goes back to chronological order (ch 15).

17. soriya

soriya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @xnekox & @catharcity, thank you so much for the clarification! :D This story intrigued me just by reading the blurb when I wanted something angsty. I started a few chapters and then dropped because I wanted to wait until at least half the novel is translated since I want to enjoy the novel to its fullest potential. It was on my pending list and I came across it again later as I was looking for something to read, but since I know this was going to be an angst, I need the spoilers to offset the upcoming depression and sadness of the novel.

18. Jiye

Jiye Not Available

Reading List:
    Link
    About the end of the translated chapter 12, what happened? What did ML do? What was his decision?

19. Aurora123

Aurora123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm two questions one what was his decision to go to the palace or to save FL and the other is there a raw for this i cannot wait anymore i really lost my patience please please

20. xnekox

xnekox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure he chose to save FL =)

syofiaa and Dragon_Reader like this.