Question Lucky Protagonist

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Hacalyhd, May 8, 2019.

?

Do you think there is a relation between the "Lucky Protagonist" the "Harem" tags?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Sometimes

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. RIAJUU GO EXPLODE

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  5. It's the authors fault

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  6. I like polls

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just read the latest chapter of Ascending, Do Not Disturb and since the cliff is real (if you like slice of life-ish stories in a xianxia setting, do give it a read) I wanted to find another novel with the "Lucky Protagonist" tag only to quickly notice that roughly 3/4 of them are of the "Harem"-genre.

Do you think the reason for that is because the people who added the tag thought the MCs were lucky for having so many women fall for them or do you (like me) think the reason is, because those novels tend to be written in a way that they basically only show how awesome the MC is?

2. MinxMean

MinxMean Member

Reading List:
    Link

RIAJUU GO EXPLODE

Does Lucky Protagonist also included as Lucky Pervert Act?
    If so, Yes.
    Most story that have such act is usually Harem.

On side note, Lucky Riajuu should die.

3. Cream

Cream Cream

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem and a lucky protagonist with impenetrable plot armor are just common things in wish fulfillment novels.

It's no surprise that they're frequently associated with each other.

Pierrot, StuffedDuck, mir and 2 others like this.
  4. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A proper trash novel needs enough fuel to turn into a proper dumpster fire. Lucky protagonist is one of the worst plot armor tags. I have yet to see a novel which is great because of its harem, not despite it. Throw in perverted protagonist, Isekai and maybe one or two more tags and it burns bright.

Cream likes this.
  5. Cloudseeker

Cloudseeker Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed. Most novels capture the reader through the main plot, the harem comes later;)

6. Kawalan

Kawalan 〚 Don't Stare 〛

Reading List:
    Link
    Lucky protagonist needs a variety of lucky events so having multiple heroines is the optimal solution. Able to quench the various tastes of the common trash reader such as myself, they form the perfect synchronicity.

7. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean i like harem, i want a good plot but i also desire some extras in my mind having a novel that throw the stuff i like in a good way its good in my books , the problem it is the author throw it just to put everytthing on fire and waste my time

8. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes.
    It seems to be a requirement for an 'awesome' mc to have at least 3 harem members to prove to the reader how 'awesomely manly' the mc is, and to separate the 'awesome' mc from other male characters in the story, who do not have harems.
    (Reverse harems are often similar, but it's more about 'charm' than 'awesomeness')

9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's also not a coincidence that the vast majority of these lucky protagonist novels are Chinese. The most likely reason? These books all borrow their ideas from the same source, that source is also the first proper Chinese harem novel, so it's not surprising that this got carried over as well.

Cream likes this.
  10. Cream

Cream Cream

Reading List:
    Link
    Just curious, what's the name of the Chinese harem novel?

11. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    The Deer and the Cauldron
    Once upon a time I thought that this was one of the most influential modern Chinese novels, but I'm now convinced that it's the most influential one by a fair margin. Here's a short rundown of all the things that it effectively invented:

- the anti-hero protagonist
    - the harem novel
    - the lecherous protagonist
    - the irreverent comedy
    - historical novels in general

Cream likes this.
  12. Cream

Cream Cream

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. I noticed that it had two translations: the official one and the fan one. If you are familiar with both, is there one that you'd recommend over the other?

13. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    John Minford is a highly regarded Sinologist and he's known for his translation of the classic "the Dream of the Red Chamber". He's the person who was behind the official translation. And it sucks. Mostly this is because he made a number of mistake and it wrecked the experience. Deciding to translate the protagonist's name was a bad foot to start on, and it's not something that's really possible to recover from. It's also incomplete as Minford ended up summarizing the later volumes rather than writing proper translations.

foxs' English isn't as good, but his writing is still quite readable, so I'd recommend that instead of hunting down the official translation. However, this is a very difficult book to translate and the original Chinese is going to be tons better, but it's still a pretty good shot!

Cream likes this.
  14. Cream

Cream Cream

Reading List:
    Link
    Fantastic explanation. Thanks, I'll check out fox's version then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.