Question Machine Translation Tips and Software? (Mega-thread)

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Mousa4, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Night

Night Immoral member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. lisianthus

lisianthus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reading translations on there > translations make not much sense > asking about MTLing for understandable translations.

tell me, in all seriousness, where going back to where i started is helpful in what i asked?

I'll have to look into all that. thanks.

4. tehrealone

tehrealone 『Lurker』

Reading List:
    Link
    I machine translate to grasp the basic meaning of what is happening.
    If I really don't understand a certain part I look up the individual character/phrase meanings using a dictionary.
    I only MT Chinese novels so mdbg.net is the online dictionary I use.

Plus it helps to have over 6 years of casual mandarin education.

Still MT is really cancerous so I only do it when I really need to read ahead.

5. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    You're making it harder than it have to be. Simply place every single Chinese word in the sentence into an actual Chinese English dictionary.

Learning Chinese is actually learning the definition of every word. Using a dictionary basically skips the learning part.

https://dictionary.writtenchinese.com

6. lolli

lolli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well what I do is I make a word document of the raws first. Then I look at the translators already translated chapters and compare names, places, skills used, etc. and make a glossary of those with the chinese characters next to it. I then use the search function in the word document to find where these chinese characters appear and replace them with the english term. After that I just feed it into google translate. At least I can understand a little bit more of whats going on.

7. madsloth

madsloth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    we need better AI for mtl lol.

8. kraven

kraven Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is not helpful, but you just need to get used to it?

Well i only use GT (translating the site), i think CN novel is the most easiest to MTL. i tried KR and JP but it's really hard to understand it so i never MTL JP and KR anymore..
    I finished reading 7-10 CN novel using GT and 20-25 CN novel still trying to finish (well mostly xianxia/xuanhuan). Sometimes if i don't understand a word (mostly regarding cultivation) i try to find it in translated chapters.

I don't know about other MTL'er but for me i understand most of it just using GT (it's like when i read the sentence my mind will auto arrange it :ROFLMAO:), i even laugh sometimes when there's something funny even tho the sentence don't make sense because i can understand the meaning of it (well if the jokes are chinese thingy then i can't understand it). Well there's some CN novel that hard to MTL, when there's too many words that don't get translated (still in chinese words) i don't MTL it if it's like that.

Well my advice is just perseverance, for me i don't like using many machine translator (copy pasting) because it needs a lot of time.
    If you can't do it then i'm sorry that i'm not helpful at all. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Edit: I'm doing what lolli said too
    And if its completed novel i search the novel in baike.baidu.com for getting a detailed info.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  9. ninish

ninish ✿Fujoshi✿ [#224~] [Dʀᴀɢᴏɴɪsᴛ] [Lᴜʀᴋᴇʀ Lᴇᴇᴄʜ]

Reading List:
    Link
    what i did: (Japanese)

copy the whole MT into a document, then paste the original japanese text into NJstar Japanese. then start comparing the MT with the Japanese in the program, which can show you the meaning of every word if you skim over it. it helps a lot if you know Japanese grammar and verb conjugations. then go correcting every sentence.

for things I didn't understand, I tried separating the sentences into fragments and translating them little by little. for terms which didn't make much sense with the MT nor NJ's dictionary, I hit the web. mostly imputing 'xx meaning'. this way you get more definitions in Japanese than in English xD which then I put into Google translate again, lol.

-good resource: japanese sfx searcher (in english) http://thejadednetwork.com/sfx/browse/wata_wata/

- for many japanese terms, some with sentence examples or conjugations http://www.japandict.com/以前

then, for idioms: If something was too odd, there was a chance it was a proverb, or modern slang, ot something alike, so again I tried copying the phrase or write it in a more neutral form (like infinitive/present time, or futsuu/normal form instead of 'masu/keigo') then Google it along with 'meaning'. I'll post some pages here which we're useful for that:
    (all in japanese)

*kotozawa:
    http://kotowaza-allguide.com/su/suterukamiareba.html

*weblio ,http://www.weblio.jp/content/宙に浮く

*goo dictionary http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/216305/meaning/m0u/

njstar also exists for Korean and Chinese, but I've never downloaded that.

I guess that if you know naught of CKJ, trying the translation agregator would be the best choice. I haven't tried it, so idk how it works though. but my method does require some knowledge of the language :/

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep The laziest and the King of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi! I decided to begin mtl, and in case it would be not too difficult I could even try to begin translating a novel (first I have to see if I am able 'cause I don't want to just drop the novel and vanish like a lot of people, it is a thing I hate).
    I know that translator aggregator is a good program to do it, but there is something like a manual or a guide I can follow?
    The only experience I ever had was trying to translate kaettekite mo fantasy on my phone with google translate when it was dropped but then the chapter came out with raising the death (ninja? If I remember well) and I noticed I totally failed in every possible way.
    Thanks a lot

11. Nyarlathotep

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for the wall of text, just noticed how long it came out

12. henrywolf123

henrywolf123 『<(-.-<) kriby master』

Reading List:
    Link
    I forget exactly what was said, but i believe that rainbow turtle uses MTL, and has multiple translations that are compared with another program. I forget exactly what went down, but she could probably tell you should you ask her.

13. Nyarlathotep

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that that is translator aggregator, which is a program that compare various translations sites and let you decide which translation is better for every single term, but asking doesn't hurt anybody

14. raltzero

raltzero Last Year Until BS in IT | Lazy Overlord TL

Reading List:
    Link
  15. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    if you have everything installed for translation agg. with atlas and everything. just copy a sentence on to your clipboard and then re write it based on its context.

it is good to see new people joining the fight against untranslated novels. we need more translators. there are too many untranslated novels for the current number to translate on their own. Most can barely even finish one series let alone the countless series out there.

Nyarlathotep likes this.
  16. Dinosquash1

Dinosquash1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should probably find a good editor as well.
    Once I ditch this dinosaur and get a better pc I might take a crack at MTL'ing Martial Emperor Reborn....cuz I liked it but the tl's for it died.

Nyarlathotep likes this.
  17. Nyarlathotep

Reading List:
    Link
    *see the status* I'm absolutely not doing all of this for the same reason *wink* obviously not *wink*

18. Nyarlathotep

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked it too but the translator was always lamenting of how much difficult the translation was, and that later on the already not-so-good story turned in absolute bs

19. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend learning Japanese.

20. Prime43

Prime43 Member of the Polygamy Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    or chinese or korean... depending on which LN he like -_-