Maeftium ~ world map

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Agecaf, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi there, I saw a fantasy world map creation tool in reddit and thought it'd be cool if it was free. Then I thought of making a fantasy map in Inkscape (free) to see if it was doable. It was, and it was actually quite fun! Here's the end result: (It's an svg; you can zoom in as much as you can.)
    [​IMG]
    Here's another link if you find it easier to zoom in,
    And here's where you can download it, if you want.
    I'm releasing it CC0, you can do whatever you want with it (I made it as a fun exercise). If you can come up with a story/wolrdbuilding setting for it, go ahead!

I'd be glad if you had any feedback when it comes to the world design. For example, in retrospective I should've added many more small and medium islands. Maybe also a few large lakes?

If you're interested in creating your own, here's how I did it:
    All of it was done using inkscape.
    - The paper-like background it done with Filters > Overlays > Noise Fill...
    - The islands are: Handrawn with pencil tool; Use Ctrl+L to smoothen; Use Extensions > Modify Path > Fractalize...
    - There were biomes that unfortunately could not be rendered online? They used transparent gradients.
    - Rivers are handrawn; Ctrl+L; Fractalize; then put back together.
    - Mountains and trees are done by; Create initial shape; Use Spray tool to place many objects semirandomly where you want; Use Tweak Objects to place them where you want and increase decrease their size. Make sure each category of objects has their own layer so that you can select them all easily.
    - Place villages where you want.
    - Use name generators to make names for everything, or come up with them yourself once you can't be bothered going to a different tab every two seconds. For that, just choose a first letter ramdomly, then see what flows with it.

2. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm, I feel like I've designed my own world map in the past, too..

3. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey not bad
    there arent any rivers from nowhere and most cities are near river/watersoure
    at least it doesnt look like you just close your eyes and put some dots and call its done