Request Magic incantation typing game?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by UnGrave, Jul 13, 2018.

1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    This is both a request and an idea. If anyone knows of a game that fits this criteria, I would very much like to purchase it.

My idea came to me watching the idubbbz typing games video. Many typing games just involve you typing random words that pop up on the screen fast enough that you can remove that word from the screen before it's host touches you, whether that's a bolder or a zombie, it's always the same type of thing. I don't know about you, but that can only draw you in if you have a serious need to learn to type faster.

So what about a game where typing is a means to an end. Recall the second arc of SAO (unless you can't, then just imagine it). The game Alfheim Online has a system of magic where the players memorize a sequence of magic terms and recite them in an incantation for each spell they wish to use. This mechanic makes magic casting as immersive as performing sword techniques with your body, allows a player to see their own talents and hard work reflected directly in their combat in a complex manner.

I realized that there is absolutely nothing stopping us from making a magic combat game that fully applies each of the aspects that makes the magic of Alfheim so interesting and free. Anyways, if you know of a typing game that already matches that feel, you might just save me a lot of trouble from designing this thing with my mediocre skills.

Kirikaize likes this.
  2. Katsurandom

Katsurandom [The One That Does Nothing][Villager C]

Reading List:
    Link
    there is one game where you use magic to transform words into objects to fulfill a set mission in the game story and advance, kinda like writing "Chair" and making a chair appear, don't remember the name, since i didn't played it though.......

3. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Scribblenauts maybe?

4. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    scribblenauts?

5. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    I would imagine that this type of game would be very unprofitable as it would have a limited player base and be not that fun for lower skilled players as those with fast typing skills would go around destroying everyone. This is unless they make it sort of pay to win where you can buy great equipment that makes it so each spell you cast does more damage and you take less damage. However besides this, there’s also the part where fights will be stationary as not many can type fast while controlling movement as typing already requires both of your hands. Maybe a joystick for your feet?
    This idea makes combat more in tune with our imagination of rpg isekai novel stuff and would be very cool, should be simple to make, but making it fun wouldn’t be that easy. There’s also the part where you have to make the spells give out random phrases instead of set chants for each spell as people can set certain keys to paste sentences . It’s very hard to counter this type of cheat as most anti cheat software don’t consider this a cheat at all.

6. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Marketing for typing games is the easiest thing. Slap the word 'educational' and kids will be forced to play it in school. But I guess if you look at it from a business standpoint, yeah it's terrible. Luckily I don't need to make money here.

7. eflow

eflow Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm, first two things that come to mind are Tibia where you type out incantations for spells or MUDs where its just all typed commands.

Also, macros.

Igneus likes this.
  8. BattleNoob

BattleNoob Founder of the NooB Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember there was house of the dead typing game

9. Blankdom

Blankdom Unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, there was something like that in the novel Legendary Moonlight Sculptor; some of the players used copy&pasting.

Anyways, as for games w/ this, there were around 2 I can remember, both for nds, but I only know the name of one, Tao's Adventure. In both, you had to trace some symbols to cast.

10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried Magicka? You don't actually type out the name of the magic, but you do press the keys on your keyboard to summon the elements for your spell and then you can cast it, depending on which elements you summoned and in which combination.

Or Magicka 2: Learn To Spell Again.

Alternatively, you can play Typing of The Dead, though it has no magic.
    [​IMG]

Or you can play Dominions 5. There is a Tier 9 spell Wish where you simply type the magic you want to cast and it will be done. This spell is extremely powerful in that it can change the world, kill a god, transfer lands or summon an archangel to fight for you. I usually summon a squad of Seraph and mowed the world as I wished anywhere and at anytime, since they can fly over obstacles.