LCD Magic Industry Empire

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Sep 28, 2019.

1. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just shut up and read

2. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Pass.
    This is one of the fun parts about reading a story you enjoy. Discussing ramifications of possibilities.
    Maybe one day I’ll write my own story.

3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember to remind us

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  4. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Your absolutely right about the manpower, but I also disagree about the engineering challenges.
    You do know the Romans didn’t in fact have the expertise. That’s why they hijack a Carthage second rate ship. They copy the ship. They didn’t have shipwrights or sailors experience to draw on. So no experts.
    As for the MC this idea isn’t new. He knows in general what is needed. As I said before at least half of the trouble of building anything is working in the dark.
    For instance let’s say an engineer was sitting on a wall and saw a farmer using a reaping scythe to gather his wheat. He says to himself their has to be easier way. Than he starts adding and dismissing trial after trial. What shape would be best. What materials should it be made of. How big should it be. Testing could go on for years. Than trying to streamline it to a assembly line manufacturing standards. This could take a decade before he has a usable product.
    While our MC skip this part because he new a thing was possible. As I said before even if he built it like a Rube Goldberg machine. It would still work after a fashion. It may not look pretty, but it should still do the job.
    Every modern day piece of equipment has a beginning. The first reaping, threshing, and winnowing machine. Than to our modern day combined tractors.
    Besides the Romans took 60 days for a fleet. Not one ship. If push I would hazard a guess it would take them a few days. As to creating a reaper machine like a McCormic. 30 days doesn’t sound to outrageous, especially if they’re working around the clock. With an expert blacksmith and a set idea. It should be possible. Unlikely but possible.

5. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    About this thing of creating a ship without knowledge, there's the history of the Turbinia:

If I remember correctly, the MC was a mechanical engineer in the previous life, so he knows how to build this kind of machine. And he has the tools to create new machines, based on the problem to solve.

His only problem is to combine the thermal machines he knows with the magic of this new world. Some things he was doing with machines when he could have used a magic array, as Great Magician Camilla pointed to him.

6. Shtirliz

Shtirliz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And I'm as programmer know how to programm every thing possible from common microcontrollers to custom servers on every architecture possible, easily can write artificial intelligence on brainfuck, know how to hack a Pentagon servers, can create a facebook within a month, etc. Rest of answer under next quote.
    Do you know what I'm doing up above in post? Thats right, I'm blabbering and bragging. Just like these roman storytellers which say that they created a fleet from scratch in 60 days. Or defeated and killed organised army 250000 of Boudica brits with just 2000 legioners of which only 200 were killed. Half of history written on these blabberings. Why you people choice to believe them? These claims doesn't make any sence. Engeneering now is very broad field and you would be expert in very particular part of it at most.

7. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    What do we have here, an expert historian! Please, illuminate our ignorance with the brilliance of your studies and knowledge from your long years studying the past.

I'm pretty sure you aren't a Mechanical Engineer. They study for 4 years at least and learn a lot of very basic things. I remember a friend studying some special gear that transforms a continuous rotation in a step rotation. And that was one of the gears he was drawing, there were a lot more.

I try not to "outsmart" myself. It's not wise.

8. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Like most stories fictional or otherwise. There has to be kernel of truth. The Spartans 300. Rorkes drift. Or the Alamo. Are battles that are so far fetched. They become legendary. I could blow them off just because it’s inconvenient, but I like to face certain facts. Especially when every historian point out the exact same amount of time, every time. I also believe history is written by the victors and how as you say people like to embellish a little. But this is what historians do. They find the truth, besides they would get a lot more attention if they could disprove a historical fact.

https://www.ancient.eu/Roman_Naval_Warfare/
    https://www.mikeanderson.biz/2011/11/roman-naval-battles-of-first-punic-war.html
    https://www.warhistoryonline.com/ancient-history/how-romans-beat-the-best-navy.html

Don’t shy away from the truth just because it’s unbelievable.
    upload_2019-12-20_6-54-37.jpeg

ElefantVerd likes this.
  9. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    There really were only 300 Spartans with Leonidas. And some 2.000 other Greeks.

About the heroes that defeated millions of soldiers without tiring their arms, this was a common trope in the 16th century. Think Amadis de Gaula. Cervantes mocked them with his anti-hero, Don Quijote.

10. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree.
    Thou I never said it wasn’t true. I was simply saying. I can understand why he thought 60 days seem so unbelievable. The 300 was a fine example of unbelievable. But like the Punic War assembly line. It’s a historic fact with many proven evidence.
    As to storytelling. Even events just yesterday can fall into those examples of embellishment. But that’s why we have journalist and historians. To help us find the truth.

ElefantVerd likes this.
  11. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    What happened to the site, Google stops me from entering and the link say Amazon lol
    Edit: it seems the link on NU is the problem

12. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the heads up.

13. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whoa. Whoops. We sometimes get malicious link submissions and it seems like one slipped through. It's fixed now. Sorry! :notlikeblob:

Cutter Masterson and canaria23 like this.
  14. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the quick response. You guyz are awesome.

Westeller likes this.
  15. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    So i bet the head of the agricultural department is the princess haha

16. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    It does have that feel to it.

17. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I could envision how Dwarfs would help, but I was confused how Elves would help. I mean if it was electronics definitely, especially with their dexterity. But I wouldn’t have thought of the aesthetics of the products as their contribution. I blame myself. It’s obvious when you thing about it.

18. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    The current elf is enough for the designs

19. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Time to close the Magic Industry in that city and opening it in another one.

I would not negotiate.

lunarshadow and Cutter Masterson like this.
  20. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. There is no longer any value to stay there. He has land of his own. Time to relocate. Now’s the time to build a bigger and better place.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    lunarshadow and ElefantVerd like this.