LCD Magic Industry Empire

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    That even looks like Still. Nice work.

2. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    A strange thought. If we three we’re sent to a magic world together. I wonder what mischief we could do.

3. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Burn them back to the stone age.

4. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh geez. I'd already be trying to form a spy network throughout the continent pairing elves with low level human mages as partners. Since the race wars is over, it would then be time to slowly encourage the fact that integrating the elves and dwarves (and whatever other races there are) into the empire behind the scenes. Then start monopolizing advanced infrastructure while letting the royals have enough of a share to be satisfied. Of course this would be done by introducing the concept of shell companies created out of different cities to make it hard to trace back that there's one organization controlling everything.

Then the real mischief could begin,

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  5. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I take back what I said. You guys are scary. Interesting, but scary.

lunarshadow likes this.
  6. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean really. I have one who wants to nuke them and one that would make Machiavelli seem like a piker.

7. lunarshadow

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, if they have bunny beastmen hiding out somewhere in the empire, I'd probably be to distracted too do anything I said above.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  8. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm on a bad day. Not because it's Monday, it's because it's a bad day. Bad things have been piling on in Real Life.

Now, there's one thing our MC did right, he consulted with Great Magician Camille (woman name for a man, etc.) on how to make the steel factory thing. Sometimes he looks too obsessed with the solutions of our world. The Magic Fan is one thing that wasn't needed: why he created a fan when he could create wind? The Air Conditioning thing was a step in the right direction - he used a cooling array. There are a lot of things he does the hard way, in my view.

Starting the Magic Industry with a Magic Fan... It was an immediate need, and the idea of creating something common people could buy was a good one, but... Magic Fan?

I wonder if the "bad road" cannot be solved with Earth Magic: one Earth Magic Machine to break the existing road to dust and gravel, then some machine to compact the dust and gravel and make it smooth, and finally another Earth Magic Machine to make it solid and sturdy. As it travels, it leaves a smooth and solid road.

The politics would be a problem. I know nothing about it and would need the protection of someone powerful to make things happen.

I think the magic industry revolution I would do would create fewer jobs, and probably most of the population would be able to live leisurely without the need for a job. So... Entertainment industry!

lunarshadow and Cutter Masterson like this.
  9. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Why didn’t I think of that? That makes so much sense. I wonder why I didn’t put two and two together. Maybe it’s a mechanical advantage kind of setup. With wind magic alone it’s hardly worth the time, but as a small motor it becomes worthwhile.
    As to earth mover equipment. Having a machine to demolish everything in a 30 to 50 meter range in front. Than have behind the machine to build rectangular holes for concrete. Follow up with rebar. Than have cement truck follow and pour would definitely be a great advantage. The joints should be around 10 feet. The shorter the amount the less likely to have cracks. So a 10 x 15 x 4 slab should be about right.
    As to entertainment devices. There’s always the common reversi in all Isekai novels. I personally have never played. I’ll stick with chess.

ElefantVerd and lunarshadow like this.
  10. lunarshadow

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, the MC at the start is in essence a mechanical engineer with good magical theoretical knowledge, but not much practice. A bladed fan is pretty simple to make from a mech e standpoint with the tools he had on-hand. And all machines and inventions have many many many many iterations before they reach a mature state. The first prototype is always, always, always focused on one point: get it the fuck to work. Can I make money off of it in its initial state? Yes? Ship it! No? Do I need to pretty it up or make it simpler or easier to use? Do I have safety concerns? Do I need to make it more durable? Etc...

As for jobs? First things first is you need to raise the level of living for everyone. You want to purposefully do things to require manpower if you have a large unworking population strictly for morale purposes. You also need to meet the three necessities: clothing, food, shelter. Right now the MC is getting food under wraps. Clothing is not his wheelhouse, but hopefully he'll make some investments in other companies to do that. Shelter of course he's working on primarily for the people he's employing, but that's not a huge concern considering how much unused land he has to deal with at the moment. Once you've got everyone mostly working, fed, clothed, and housed then you can work on entertainment. (Mind you sanitation, logistics, and quality of environment would also be included in setting this stuff up to prevent future issues.)

I also think the MC is being bit heavy-headed on the increasing his personal magic power. Politics aside, just growing in strength and mage guild recognize levels will give him access to more knowledge that he can leverage towards his machines. But I digress.

ElefantVerd and Cutter Masterson like this.
  11. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly agree with everything you mentioned but, I disagree with the blades of a fan. From what I’ve read and heard it’s actually very hard to do. One of the reason man flight took forever to come about is because of this. I’m not even going to mention the difficulties ship propeller have had over the years.
    As to initiating an industrial revolution. It’s a good thing the MC got that piece of land. Now he has no restrictions on what he needs to do or even can do. He can set out as he plans to go. The way he keep creating innovations constantly. He would have come across other complications. Now no one can say anything. He will need to have a population that is geared to his mind set and not their traditional set.
    Starting from scratch will induced that. Also the quality he is expecting and the thought processes he wants. Same thing as boot camp. Break their habits and remodel them to think a certain way.
    Personally, I would have set up a temporary housing. Until I built several beautiful suburban neighborhoods for my workers. I would build many infrastructures like sewage, water, heating/ cooling, manufacturing and light before hand. Plan out the city before hand and have a lot of prefab concrete items ready.
    At least that’s what I do in the beginning.

12. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, for an Industrial Revolution to work, you need a mass of consumers. People that get some money and can't hold it for more than some hours.

The Industrial Revolution could provide for that, and our MC is in the right way to a more socially responsible economy (one that is focused not only on increasing their share but on the increase of the cake). He has to change the way people think about how to pay for work. I wonder what will happen with people that can't upgrade their skillset.

13. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m not to sure about Industrial Revolution = Mass Consumers. The best example of Industrial Revolution is Great Britain. An island nation that would have difficulty with external consumers. So most of their consumers we’re internal. Which means they had a small group in general. They had a good economy but, I don’t believe that was the reason for the rise of the Industrial Revolution. With distance and cheaper alternatives near by many countries probably choose other options too.
    Instead of Mass of Consumers. I believe the reason is because of a need in general. A minimum or a massive of consumer need is to misleading. Consumers can be small in number.
    Personally, I believe economy rise because of luxurious products. As to the Industrial Revolution. I believe War was the deciding factor. Many people believe the age of the atomic bomb and computers was the time of the most advancement. This was the time of World War 1 and 2. Were tanks and jets hit the field. I have a different opinion. I believe during the 1800s was the time of change. The Industrial Revolution was between 1750s and the 1850s. During the 1800s ironclads, submarine, machine guns, hot air balloons and medicine among many other innovations were created. Not because of consumers but, because of a need to survive. War is never good for an economy. It actually a deterrent. Sure technology leaps forward with War but, an economy usually drop because of war.
    At least that’s what I believe. I could be wrong.

14. lunarshadow

Reading List:
    Link
    Economies usually drop because of war... with notable exceptions of the US in WWI (notorious arm seller) and WWII (where the US was in the Great Depression, but the war forced the hoarders to help boost production and thus giving jobs in factories to most of the unemployed)

15. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s sort of true. The way I see it. It was the golden age. Than World War 1 suck the economy dry. Creating The Great Depression. Than World War 2 came about making it worse.
    As to the US being notorious arms dealer in WWI is new to me. I know they sent a lot of supplies but, I didn’t know it was mostly weapons. It always seem like the US was always low on equipment. I always thought it was mostly food stuff.
    As to the employment boom you mentioned. I don’t know about that. I mean on average it takes about 10 women to farm what 3 men could do. As to manufacturing. Things tend to even out better. With many men gone either through being in the war or death. That left women and children. You would also need more of in order to compensate for the lost man power. Which also lead to bring bad living conditions and work environment. Especially, during that time.
    So I still say War is a drain and does not actually stimulation economies. Wars tend to Burn through resources like crazy. I see it as being a waste.

16. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought I mentioned. I respect all your thoughts and ideas. Even thou I may disagree or even argue about your thoughts. I still want you to know I cherish your posts.

lunarshadow and ElefantVerd like this.
  17. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m glad the MC is putting so much thought into his new city.

lunarshadow and ElefantVerd like this.
  18. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    I think our MC forgot something important: it's a Medieval society, there are several lords, and all of them have a private army and weird ideas on how to deal with opposition or competition ("Submit or Perish").

I think he should prepare the city to be besieged and to defend against an army he provided with armor and weapons. He is a strong mage, and there are a lot of other mages working under him, but that's all he has for now.

19. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t see why. The land belongs to the royal family. As to taking over his operation. I believe after the Magic Fan debacle. No one will want to even try. Besides most citizens are still prejudice to other races (Dwarfs). Maybe greedy will find a way but, an army seems unlikely. Now if his land boarded another nation. I could maybe see that happening.
    Plus that would be awesome to see.

20. lunarshadow

Reading List:
    Link
    So the real issue is they see the MC as an ally to the royal family. The other nobles not directly allied with the royal family (by inference that is most) want to limit the royal family's power in the kingdom. As the MC's company grows and becomes more influential, he'll be seen as a threat to their interests, not as a benefit to the country mainly because they only care about their own power and could give a rats ass about the quality of living of everyone besides themselves. They will try to seduce/buy him, smear him, or outright destroy him, so basically the 3 P's (persuasion, propaganda, power.)

At some point in the future they'll use instigators to try and flame hatred of the demi-humans he employs to pressure him. (This is the safest avenue of attack without risking offending other big names.) As all big business owners eventually find out, you have to play politics or perish. It's just worse here, since you're not only dealing with businesses trying to thwart you, but you have feudal nobles who only care about power and not economics.