Recommendations Magician Cultivation without Harem

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Fooljastic, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Fooljastic

Fooljastic Truly Foolish

Reading List:
    Link
    Already suggested and replied to as i didnt like it but thanks still for the try.

Same here but i have books everywhere in my room...a full big drawer a full bookshelf and so on and forth lol Most is in my native language, german, but recently i also got into the english ones.... I have like 150 books on the list i have given my parents for birthday gifts if they can't think of something nevermind my actual list i have saved somewhere... lol most series though.

2. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well. 2x5 meters of pure fantasy books means I have more fantasy books than most libraries... I'm german as well.

Fooljastic likes this.
  3. Fooljastic

Fooljastic Truly Foolish

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice! I have no idea how big my shelf is to be honest... was a gift from my father because stuff kept pilling up, but i think its smaller than yours. (And because he thought my old "Schrank" (Wardrobe according to google) looked ugly.) But to be fair not all is from Magician MC's, most even is from sword and other stuff like twilight, mistborn, Eragon, kingkiller and so on and forth. Whats your favorite book just cause I am curious?

4. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    In recent years game of thrones I guess. Mistborn is pretty solid as well. Eragon is kinda... meh. Given the authors age as he wrote it etc its amazing ofc, but there are def better works out there.

Fooljastic likes this.
  5. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    Daily Life Of The Immortal King
    While I admit I am only 200+ chapters into this one (as it is qidian), but so far no harem. Not exactly what you are looking for, but worth a shot if you have not tried it.

Fooljastic likes this.
  6. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don’t mind BL books, Whyborne and Griffin is an amazing series. Totally different in terms of both magic and cultivation from oriental novels.

You should also check out LE Modesitt novels if you have not already. No harem. Lots of magic that builds.

Fooljastic likes this.
  7. Fooljastic

Fooljastic Truly Foolish

Reading List:
    Link
    Feng Tian:

Game of thrones is something I didnt read back then because I heard MC's die..... but its currently on my to buy list though.
    To be fair I was a fan of harry potter for a long time, grew up and learned reading with that, but so far my absolute favorite must be the kingkiller story. I just like the story that not everything went right for the character without him dying lol (To bad he just can't get out the doors of stone....)
    Though other things I like includes stuff like "Die Magier" and Der "Dämonezyklus",

Teadragon:

I do not like BL.... but thanks for the suggestion.
    Le Modesitt I haven't heard of before, but that might be because I have been looking for books trough goodreads and sites like that... but he seems worth checking out. And so grows the amount of books I wanna get :D Thanks man.

8. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I'm more focusing on writing my own stuff than reading other's works right now. It's dark high fantasy.

Fooljastic likes this.
  9. Haaiiko

Haaiiko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fooljastic likes this.
  10. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm supprised that no one suggest Mother of Learning :cookie::blobokhand:

Fooljastic likes this.
  11. Fooljastic

Fooljastic Truly Foolish

Reading List:
    Link
    Mother of learning is awesome and i have been following it almost since it was made.

Whatcha writting? The genre sounds like something I would like.

Thanks I already knew the link. And even things like chooseyourownstory and so on... I haven't been reading since yesterday after all ;) Though webnovel is qidian. Which means I ain't doing anything there. Nevermind that their way of how to show originals sucked last i checked. (No ability to say filter by words and so on)

12. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm, the setting is so much of a mess that it is hard to find a proper start. Let's begin with the geo political situation, which is the fey ( elves and beast-kin) and humanoids (humans, dwarves, vampires) starring daggers at each other with half-drawn blades. The plane is a magically contaminated wasteland, and you either live with it, or you fight it. This leaves multiple species without much room to grow (except the elves, cuz they are terraforming assholes and THRIVE in the worst environments due to it). As a result war is monday, and large scale battles are only rare because the demigod rulers of the setting are facing the dilemma of being required for such battles while simultaniosuly have infinite lifespans and being a species' main pillar (and are selfish dicks about it).

And in this powederkeg of lacking resources the twins are born. Being eternal elves they were promised the sovereign class (the highest class which curbstomps 99.9999999999% of all mages) of magic at birth, and while they struggle significantly in the earlier years (which leaves them with severe mental trauma) they rapidly rise to rival the old powers in a mere 200 years. Unlike other elves they got along with their direct neighbours in the beast alliance, those being the life-based elder dragon Pneuma and the thunder bird known as Thunderclap. And even then it is mostly Pneuma and the male twin getting along, with the other two merely agreeing to a NAP (after the twins battled them during the expansion war).

So, why would they team up? Well, the elves might think of the beast-kin as lifestock at worst, and pets at best and the beast-kin repay it in kind but ultimately they hate the human vermin even more (they just usually don't trust each other enough to team up for an attack and even then the humans are still stronger). Seeing the threat of the increasing infighting among their own "allies" and the exploding human population they set plans into motion which had better stayed untouched. Liur goes into meditation, to track down the next immortal being born to recruit him or her (likely her, fey dont have a 50/50 gender ratio). If they get the third immortal for their faction they can begin uniting the elven empire. And that is where the novel begins.

The twins pick up a young ninetails (and for political reasons they are the one teaching her, not the dragon of her own species)., which causes a political earthquake. The other eternal elves instantly know what is going on, but are delayed by the long winter (which lasts for about 1.5 years). The empire falls into a civil war, the hostile faction attempt to annihilate the ninetails and knock the twins down a bit (put slave magic on them to keep them as weapon to be precise), while the twins attempt to gain control over strategic resources to establish dominance over the entire faction.

13. Fooljastic

Fooljastic Truly Foolish

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I have a few questions about that which you might want to think about... how does the human population explode in a place like that? Can they learn the magic of the elves? Did they enslave enough elves to gain a good plot of land? Do they have dealings with them, like exchange ressources for space to live? Did they discover some land that is not contaminated? If the eternal elves are that strong... why was no effort made to remove them early on? Who promised them that class? Their Demigods? Can elves magically create ressources as they thrive? How does magic exactly work? How much can they possibly create or transform? How can they keep their population up if war is every monday? I mean in a war many die, do they enslave them and send them back in as sleeper agents? Is slave magic detectable? Does the fact that fey have more females play into that? Are females normally spared? What is with half breeds how are they treated? And so on and forth... I have more questions, but this does sound interesting.

14. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    While the plane is a hellhole it is not equally spread out. Mankind settles in the centre, where the effects aren't quite as bad and thus more fertile land exists (Not that the rest is infertile. But a peasant might wake up and find out that his tomato field is suddenly thrice as tall as the day before and carnivorous.) Vampires and beast-kin are stronger with keener senses and can shrug off worse areas. The dwarves said "fuck it" and started digging. They do still maintain large surface territories but they require less space. The elves just laughed it off and developed terraforming tech, which comes in the form of gaia trees. Plant-like magic structures which turn active and thus dangerous origin force into passive one. Resources that cannot be grown are usually secured via the ranger legions (this radiation like magic power doesn't affect mages all that much, so they can create and maintain outposts).

Killing an eternal elf is difficult. Certainly, some get assasinated before they become sovereigns, but the other eternal elves are protecting them (It is one of the unspoken laws among the immortals of each faction.). Especially Farsight, the oldest of them, is extremly protective in this regard. The twins were particulary well hidden (Which stemmed from other problems. Even Farsght didn't know they existed until they massacred their clan in revenge). It also doesn't take them long to reach these insane powers. Two decades is considered very long and if they are supplied with enough knowledge and resources it might very well happen within a few years. A mortal might learn magic but the immortals breathe and live it. This is also the promise. Their very nature and lifespan ensures they will eventually achieve stage 8, or as it also called: the sovereign class. And once they are there... a 3 vs 1 is not necessarily enough to kill them. Sure, they will have to run. But what doesn't kill them..
    And this goes for all of the immortals. Dragons and frens, the human lords, living ancestors, eternal elves etc.

War might not be a hot war. It can be decades of cold war until it suddenly erupts for a year or a decade, maybe even a century, before it cools down again. The immortals forget none of these grudges and are very very patient tho.

Slave magic is blindingly obvious. Even the most useless peasant can easily detect it. The way it messes with the victims energy system is obvious to say the least. The tattoos required for it aren't exactly invisible either.

Half breeds only exist within one given species. Which means a half elf/half dragon might exist, but a half ell/half human is impossible. The ones that exist are usually looked down upon at best. Notable exceptions do exist, mostly in Sciathan (the twins) and allied factions (Thunderclap and Pneuma) but overral they are treated as member of the "lesser" species.