Make my abilities average anime

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by lnv, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Silentstorm

Silentstorm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh, read something about the production of the anime and finally learned why the anime is so different!
    The author gave the staff permission to do and change whatever they want as long as the basic premise and characters are there, because...well, the LN will always be around if people want that story, and a straight up adaptation will be boring for readers since they already know everything, plus, a different story gives something else for fans to talk about.

...Author, you should have checked if the studio was capable of making a more interesting story, because their version is not as good as your LN sadly, seriously, if the studio has the permission to do whatever they wanted, you'd think something better than a bad or at best mediocre series would have come out of it, but nope.

Ubik, Sabruness and userunfriendly like this.
  2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that sounds like the Author had their Mile moment.

Most of these studios are overworked and low paid. If you tell them, do whatever you want. They would take it as author not caring about their work so we can just wing it.

If you want to make your story more interesting or keep the premise while changing things, you have to bring in a director to orchestrate that. If you just give it to the studio, they aren't going to bother, why would they make more work for themselves? It's like volunteering for unpaid overtime.

userunfriendly likes this.
  3. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree. I think, as far as adaptations go, it's quite enjoyable. Sure, it was never going to be exactly like the LN without at least twice as many episodes and a hell of a lot more work from the studio but with the industry the way it is, that was kinda impossible in the first place.

I read, and love, the LN and i think the anime keeps to the almost parodic comedy style and spirit of the LN without having to follow it to the letter. Of course, there are a few things that really could have been done (mainly the nanos and the timing of the few more serious moments) but it's a lot better than the usual isekai adaptations (looking at you arifureta) that come out

Ubik likes this.
  4. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly agree with those opinions but there is one thing that kinda missed in that ones. This anime was not made from the start as long time story. It looks more like promo or PR for manga or LN.
    If it will be interesting to target group they will make 2nd season that will be more in line to plot. Right now anime has two+one objectives.
    1) Make PR for universe - done. It made story known for larger audience.
    2) Be entertaining in it's genre - completed. In CGDCT this season they have no competitors.
    2+1) Be average - rather failed. 6.91 rating on MAL is above average :blob_grin:

p.s. if they have long time plan rather than: "oh let's make it will see how it goes." They would make 24 series season that will be more in line as whole story. Like Slime, Shield or Vinland. Where anime makers was sure it will be popular. But main target audience is in Japan ... where even arifureta could receive 2nd season. :facepalm:

kenar and Sabruness like this.
  5. Sabruness

Reading List:
    Link
    All very true. A majority of anime in the past couple of years that have got sequel series are usually cash cow series (slime, arifureta, SAO) where they want to milk it for all it's worth.

Well, even as an advertisement for the LN Abilities Average does a great job of it. Then again, it has an advantage in being a CGCDT that's easy to get into.
    Arifureta's really a case-in-point in how to catastrophically bodge making an anime that basically advertises the source.

Ubik likes this.
  6. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    What's this

7. Sabruness

Reading List:
    Link
    Woops, mis-spelled it. It's CGDCT
    Cute Girls Doing Cute Things. It's basically all female main casts doing things. It's a very broad category despite the 'cute things' part of the name. Here's a decent explanation inforgraphic (though it's a few years out of date):
    [​IMG]

Ubik and kenar like this.
  8. Treyvan

Treyvan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I doubt I will watch any more, it is too awful. This is no longer even pretending to follow the story.

"Did they even read the books? Mavis' brother marrying Pauline? Given the humour about the male members of Mavis' familys attitude to women who are well endowed the story line in episode 8 finally kills this one for me"

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    As bad as that episode is, ironically it is actually better than the novel. I mean the novel has the noble order his men to attack and kill another noble of higher rank in broad daylight to cover up something that would have been at worst a slap on the hand.

Also, if you notice, Mavis' brothers never actually showed up in the anime. And based on how it sounded, the whole thing was just a pretense. Aka, Mavis' father had 0 interest of having one of the brothers marry Pauline.

The style is completely different. Most of the comedy of the novel the author spends explaining the real world and trying to justify why everything is what it is. Then followed by Mile and later crimson oath breaking common sense-chan.

In the anime, common sense-chan doesn't even exist. The whole world has gone crazy and no one really cares if mc or anyone does something beyond comprehension, their reactions are virtually non-existent.

They have turned it into a light gag anime.

Can we stop using Arifureta as a basis? Do remember, that anime was orphaned as all the top staff were removed and replaced with 3rd rate staff who only finished it by obligation.

It's like saying "This food isn't that bad, I mean it tastes better than eating a leather belt right?"