Recommendations Make My Brain Hurt

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Trylissia, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Trylissia

Trylissia Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello~
    First off, thank you in advance for any and all suggestions given. I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond to my plea for assistance. I'm looking for a gripping story that keeps me on the edge of my seat, but not necessarily because the main character is beating all their enemies to a pulp. Though badass-ary on the part of the main character is not discouraged in the least. I'm primarily looking for a story laced with more subtlety and intrigue. Think The Princess Wei Yang or Nirvana In Fire. No one can say Wei Yang isn't a badass despite her lack of real combat skills. Brawn can be part of the story, but the main focus and aims of the protagonist(s) are achieved or greatly influenced by such strategic thinking. Battles of words with subtle nuances that are easily missed. To Be A Virtuous Wife would be a good, lighter feeling, example of what I mean as well. Its chock full of such subtle nuances any time the characters converse with each other. What the person says on the surface is rarely what they actually mean.

The story recommendations don't have to contain all of the points I am listing below. These are more of a guideline toward what I want.
    KEY POINTS I'M LOOKING FOR:
    • Strategic Thinking - This doesn't necessarily mean they must be blessed with great intelligence. A person doesn't have to be the smartest person in the room to think strategically. They are simply gifted at making the best use of the people and resources at their disposal. Though I won't complain if they are smart as well.
    • Eye for an Eye - No senseless slaughtering just because they can. Actions cause reactions. Character A slandered the Main Character in front of a group of people therefore Main Character slaughters Character A as well as their entire family is not what I am looking for. I want a more believably immersive experience this time around. Mercilessness is fine. If there is reasoning behind why the Main Character is going to kill that entire clan that makes sense beyond Character A insulted them, then have at it. I'll cheer them on.
    • Failure - I don't want the Main Character's path to achieve their goal to be smooth. I want them to fail in an objective on occasion or suffer a loss while achieving said objective. Have a side character die. Have a main sidekick get maimed. Have their army suffer heavy losses to negate their victory. I guess I'm a bit of a sadist in that I want to see the characters struggle. It's only through adversity that I feel they grow. And no, cookie-cutter stupid villains that they easily overcome for no other reason than because of how amazing; over-powered; brilliant; etc. the Main Character is. That does not count as adversity.
    • Surprises, Give Them Surprises - No matter how smart, circumspect, strategic or meticulous a Main Character is, it is impossible for everything to go according to plan with every scheme they concoct. It gets boring when the Main Character is prepared every single time. Its more impressive to see a character think on their feet to fix things once everything goes to hell in a hand basket than it is to see them always already be prepared for just such an eventuality.
    • Consistency - I enjoy character growth, but please keep their character consistent. Don't have Character B proclaim their allegiance to Character A, then two chapters later for no logical reason other than the plot needed them to, have Character B pledging said allegiance to Enemy Number One. Logic behind actions or reasons that make sense in general is fine. Illogical, because the Author wanted it so, reasons are annoying. Show me the progression of Character B and why they are now betraying; falling for; ostracizing; hateful to; jealous of Character A.
    • A Goal - A clear goal from the beginning that the protagonist wants to achieve would be nice. It doesn't have to be some grand conquering the world scheme. I just want to know what the main character hopes to accomplish.
    • Romantic Elements - I like romance. Not gonna lie, the sappiness often turns me into a squealing fangirl. However, I like my romance to be somewhat realistic and monogamous. I prefer no instant I would die for you, never betray you, live only for you devotion. Nor do I like a main character genuinely in romantic love with two people at the same time. Having multiple people liking one character as in a harem is fine. I only start disliking it once that one character is in love with multiple people. If feelings aren't involved or the people involved aren't the main character and leads, then it is fine, doesn't bother me too much. I'm even okay if a person or both of the main pairing are romantically involved or having sex with someone else at the beginning of the story. Just have them remain true to each other once that love starts to bloom.

2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say that stories like Grandmaster Strategist and Hidden Marriage fulfill your desires to the most part. Not completely.

Trylissia likes this.
  3. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    Trylissia likes this.
  4. Elawn

Elawn 『Binge Reader』

Reading List:
    Link
    Trylissia likes this.
  5. DeathStroke96

DeathStroke96 『President of Sindria Trading Co.』『Uncle』『GOD』

Reading List:
    Link
    Trylissia likes this.
  6. Ken The One-Eyed Suicidal

Ken The One-Eyed Suicidal 「ZA ROYAL ROASTER」「ZEE KOUHAI」

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragon God and Trylissia like this.
  7. Airye

Airye Hermit Water Elementalist

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Sethnix

Sethnix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm maybe " Dungeon Defense "?
    Was some time ago that I read it and I'm not sure if it actually fits your request

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus [NUFs cutest Panda][Pandesu~][BootyFul][Hungry]

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Exterial

Exterial @pocketbear ,much oneesama, very friendly, kawaii.

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is your post so professional-looking lol.
    You should try Dungeon Defense, its literally all you're asking for + more.

11. pocketbear

pocketbear !!!!!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Chu Wang Fei
    Xian wang dotes on wife (seems to be heading in that direction, only ch20)
    Eight Treasure Trousseau (same author as virtuous wife)
    Mei gong qing (makes my head hurt lol )
    Rebirth of malicious empress of military lineage

Trylissia likes this.
  12. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Your post title misled me, I thought you wanted your brain to actually hurt... I would have recommended Invisible Dragon...
    That novel makes people lose brain cells.

14. Setra

Setra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    History's Strongest Senior Brother

15. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Dragon God

Dragon God {King of Peasants} {Tanya's Husbando}

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Dungeon Defense checks everything.

MC has more than knew sexual partner, but only one lover.

His other partner(s) don't love him either.

17. Dragon God

Dragon God {King of Peasants} {Tanya's Husbando}

Reading List:
    Link
    Oops ninja'd