Making Weak Skills Broken!

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by maggitt147, May 5, 2020.

1. maggitt147

maggitt147 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, So I intend to eventually make a story where the protagonist's limits are broken at the start of it but the thing is, he can only use weak general skills! Obscure and weird skills like:
    [Spit Lv 1]
    [Cook Lv1]
    [Kick Lv1]
    [Create Water Lv1]
    [Regurgitation Lv1]
    [Flip Lv1]
    [Gargle Lv1]
    [Grab Lv1]
    [Drink Lv1]
    [Breathing Lv1]

How could i go about making skills like these into skills that could compete with broken crap like fire spells, ice spells, swords, magical beasts that can tear through iron and steel, and heroes!?
    THe way how i wanted to do it was like this, here is an example of how i would make spit useful as a skill.
    • Spit would allow him to spit better than any other human in the world. As the level increases the spit becomes more and more dangerous and allows more and more ways of using it. Like being able to spit through steel, spit burning/acidic spit, being able to increase the amount of spit his mouth can hold and spit like a tsunami sized, or like spit being able to heal/cleanse.
    Any ideas?

2. myurikko

myurikko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [Regurgitation] evolves into [Stomach Storage] - grants the user a second stomach without the acid that can be used to store items

3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He could just, idk, Spit in people's eyes. Seems like a decent way to win a fight.

Maybe he can just be gangster like that and win by fighting dirty with his basic skills?

4. SylverRuse

SylverRuse Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I observed after reading many video game story, useless skill that become broken usually involve extending the meaning of said skill (Your spit example is one of this). I'll be writing a general idea I get from your skill with scenario example at the end.

[Cook] : This skill is a peculiar example, since many story already potray it as a useful skill but overlooked due to its resource consumption or difficulty in using. An extension that I could think of is the ability to cook strange ingredients that provide unique buffs.

[Kick] : Again, mostly overlooked due to often how awkward it is in sword and magic setting. Maybe an op example would be granting a special skill after using it for 10.000 times? Something similar to the quote 'I fear who practiced a kick ten thousand times'.

[Create Water] : Is it only water or maybe other liquids? Is other water spells does not offer permanent water? If it is, there's a op combo if combined with a profession similar to Alchemist or Apothecary. You could maybe add limitation like it can only be used if you have the intended liquid at hand before you can produce more, but the limit on production is based on mana.

[Flip] : This one I'm still lost on the actual implementation. I assume it's something like flipping your body in the air? If it is, just evolve it into [Acrobatics] or something similar, that's the only thing I could came up with currently. Or maybe combine it with kick to make a skill [Kick Flip].

[Gargle] : This one a bit hard, but I got something that might or might be not strong. My first advice is to combine it with [Drink], since I think it maybe overlapped too much (In the end it's your choice), or if you decide to keep it, make it a skill that add additional effect to [Spit], so both in its own is useless, but combined can produce effect similar to high tier skill (Example : Gargling with dragon's blood will make [Spit] have the same effect as [Dragon Breath].

[Grab] : Similar to [Kick], a skill often associated with martial artist. You make it a niche skill that only works on certain types of enemies, like human-size humanoids and animals, but it could evolve to a more magical version that enable you to grab bigger enemy. Remember, CC is strong in any game.

[Drink] : The easy way is to combine this with [Cook], providing a bonus to the benefit of drinks. But if you want a bit more funny albeit more disgusting use is to combine this with [Cook] and [Regurgitate]/[Spit] (Or possibly [Gargle]). The combo is:

[Cook] is used to produce the drinks, which will be consumed and activate the effect of [Drink]. Since the system already register the buff from said drink, use [Regurgitate] to expel the drink again (Or maybe only the base ingredient, which then can be made into drink again with [Cook]) and then consume the drink again to stack the buff. The combination with [Gargle] will provide the bonus on spit I mention on the [Gargle] section.

[Breathing] : Breathing Style ala Kimetsu no Yaibe? Or maybe something similar to the one used by dragons? I can see this as an active buff skill that have a passive to allow you to breath in hostile environtmen, like the sea or toxic swamp (It could even provide buff if you want). Breathing Style could pair nicely with other martial artist skill.

Scenario Example:

Using [Grab] to enable [Breath]/[Spit] skill since maybe it was considered too slow in normal use. Like Rajang from MHW, the protagonist will embrace the enemy in tight grasp before assaulting them with a fiery saliva and thunder breath right on their face, dealing massive damage. He then could use [Kick] on the ground or the enemy to escape, and use [Flip] to evade any counter attack. This scenario is a highly mobile disgusting playstyle.

Or perhaps [Spit] maybe considered too hard to use due to the limited number of usage and long cooldown? Maybe the protagonist discovered that using [Create Water] on the mouth will reset the cooldown, enabling a spit machine-gun?

This is only some of my idea, since more would make this post too long. I'm sorry if my explanation is insufficients due to my bad english.

MagneticMagnet and maggitt147 like this.
  5. gahara31

gahara31 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    how about he can only do skill [breath], the catch is each time he is breathing he got stronger, based on how trees grow not just by absorbing nutrient but also breathing (there's a veritasium video about it irrc).