Mangas that lasted longer than the anime

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by Okuri Ookami, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have a question about 3 animes in particular "Flame of Recca" "Yu Yu Hakusho" and "Kekkaishi" So I'm not a big fan of Yu Yu Hakusho but I enjoy it and Flame of Recca was something that had the feel of YYH but jived with me much better. Regardless I watched these two series in a point of my life I didn't know what anime was or how to appreciate it other than face value. Kekkaishi on the other hand came in a point were I'd become numb to most anime and was seeking quality! Kekkaishi was an awesome series I felt left a lot unfinished and undone, imagine my surprise when I finally became curious about manga after reading "Romance of the Dawn" years later (just months before picking up web-novels) that kekkaishi still had 2 thirds of the story left untold!!!

I checked out some of my old favorites including Hajime no Ippo (still ongoing) Ushio to Tora (I'm just glad it got an remake) and a bunch others and lo and behold most only got part ways into the epic sagas! I'm not going to read them anytime soon if ever but its sad that the things I grew up on will never make it on the home screen...

TL;DR

If I were to take the time to read through these fond childhood and teenage nostalgic mangas would the first 3 listed be worth a look through or did the animes end on a good note?

juniorjawz likes this.
  2. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    Bleach
    Gintama

3. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yu yu hakusho for the win. Kekkaishi manga idk. IIRC something sad happened in the manga, but its good

4. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    nearly every anime that was based off of manga has had its manga outlast the anime. only certain prized series make so much money that they make more anime than manga with plot that is actually canon and not filler.

5. Atl92

Atl92 [God] [Devil] [Hero] [Monster]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuckin hell now i have to go re-read kekkashi, one of the first anime i ever watched and still one of my favorite. It was just so unique and interesting.

mir, Yonas, NekoMK2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Berserk/air gear alot of them lasted alot longer than the anime***

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  7. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    hajime no ippo... have no idea if its still being updated, but as far as I know, the author will die and not finish it... seems like 1198 chapters, release date since 1991, its older than me.

8. Prolux

Prolux [Specifically Lazy] [Weirdly Motivated]

Reading List:
    Link
    Still being updated... Last chapter was october 25.

9. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    good thing or bad thing?

10. Morvian

Morvian 『Weakened King』『Abandoned Man』『Man Of Culture』

Reading List:
    Link
    Bleach
    D.Gray-man
    Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn

11. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    so how did those three end in the manga?

12. Kuriyama

Kuriyama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sankarea

13. Rizkyfw

Rizkyfw Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should read kekkaishi till finished. It has much more story than the anime covered. What the anime did just a an introduction, they barely covered urakai, never had an in depth story of karasumori or yoshimori's mother.

Atl92 and juniorjawz like this.
  14. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, majority of the animes are made to promote manga (games and now novels too), so it is no wonder that the manga last more, unless it is one that can milk the companies more money because of related merchandise like OP and naruto.
    In the past there seemed to be more animes of 50+ episodes while today........

otaku31, NekoMK2 and heartentice like this.
  15. mahomoho

mahomoho Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with this in General but i can think of a series that needed to stop where the anime did. The manga went from moving and cute to twisted and f****d beyond belief.
    Usagi Drop.

16. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Naruto was a filler lovers paradise! I take offense to it being next to OP. OP isn't just a brand like Naruto there is a litteral Going Mary and Sunny ship replica in real life. But I do understand what you are getting at, what everyone seems to be saying and although Anime is supposed to be a gate way drug some times your more attracted to the anime than the manga...

Usagi Drop is longer than the anime? Its one of my favorite "cute" anime along with "Aichi Koochi" if it gets twisted I might never read the manga

17. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kenshin
    Slam Dunk
    Dragon ball Z <---- notice the Z... its better when it ended there... unfortunately, Goku became an immortal even the author cant kill him.

otaku31, Yonas and Okuri Ookami like this.
  18. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hunter x hunter-enjoyed the anime so much especially the spiders arc and kurapika is my favorite character so i looked into the manga. However it was hiatus at the time because the original mangaka died, i think(can't remember well). It was continued with a different mangaka but i preferred the original one.

Full metal panic-this was shown exactly around the time i got home from school. Was curious and looked into the manga and it's still updating chapters but super slow releases.

Ddraig and justmehere like this.
  19. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say most anime don't finish telling the story of the manga. As for kekkaishi. I was reading the manga before it had an anime. It was definitely a vood series in my book. Not too pleased with the end actually, but I rarely am.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  20. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    The original author isn't dead he just has injuries that make it hard for him to work. He's the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho and his wife is the creator of Sailor Moon lol He just went back on Hiatus again I think don't know how long this one will be.