mangas vs novels

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by Tratuk, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Tratuk

Tratuk novel addict

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, guys! In my point of view majority of mangas can't stand comparing vs novels, they just pale in comparison or are way too childish. It is absolute true for me. But in this rule there are few superb exclusions. Since I prefer martial arts/humor novels I like appropriate mangas. Long story short-Gamaran, awesome manga which by no means doesn't lose to novels. Name please your choice. Thanks!

2. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont think you can really compare the two. A pictorial representation will never be as detailed as a word based one. If they were to try to draw all the inner monologues and such that give novels their depth, the manga would never progress.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  3. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    Manga and Novels are different that's for sure. But for me there are times when manga is superior to a novel. For example conveying a sense of action. Manga and Anime do that better than a lot of novels. Fighting for example I don't enjoy as much in novels as I do in manga or anime, because I don't picture it well. There is no sense of that was an epic fight. However novels allow for more details like thoughts and opinions on the surroundings that are incredibly hard to express in either Manga or Anime.

Gadget likes this.
  4. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes the plot is also different. Animes usually starts late and has another (added) story. That has happened at [Naruto], [World Trigger] and [Kekkai Sensen] as far as I know.

5. Deceptioning

Deceptioning Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really depends. I enjoyed the novel version of Toradora more than the manga/anime version.

But theres just some things that cant be done well in the other medium. For example, the Gamer's WN is pretty bad according to some of the koreans I've heard. I dont think I'd be able to read a novel version of Last Game or Re:Life either.

Nevermind likes this.
  6. Tokin

Tokin I despite ISSTH. [( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)]

Reading List:
    Link
    you'd probably start crying reading a majong novel because off all the bloody terms, akagi in novel form, can't imagine it
    also any sports themed manga turned to novels are bound to fail

7. Lord legendary

Lord legendary Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer Novels, but, Id - The Greatest Fusion Fantasy and Ubel Blatt I think these two are part of few mangas who can be considered better than 95% of all novel, at least.......in my opnion.

8. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I much prefer reading the manga for a lot of Japanese light novels, especially ones related to RPGs.

The manga cuts all the junk about "I collected 50 ox hides. I leveled up and gain [Super Summon] spell and new ability [Sense Danger] which detects X monsters in a Y radius with..."

The manga for Tensei Slime makes the series downright cute!

Gadget, haweii and Slimikyi like this.
  9. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    Manga for LN as well.
    But novel for CN and KN. I just don't like Chinese and Korean artists as much. I feel that they aren't doing the novel justice.

10. Deceptioning

Deceptioning Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was actually reading Akagi today. I still don't know how to count the Mahjong winning conditions and such. Nor can I find anyone that wants to play it.

11. Aure94100

Aure94100 French Cultivator from the No-Time Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    We can't say the same think for all adaptations because there're always exceptions.

But, generally speaking, novel's adaptations are always inferior .... extremely poor.
    Some people like to say that adaptations and novels are just different things that can't be compare but I would just reply that these people are often those who begin the story with the adaptation without reading the novel first and just can't admit that what they are reading isn't the reality of the story. Adaptations could never pretend owning the novel's story in a different light. Poor quality can't be excused. That's all.

In chinese novel's adaptation, the mangaka's are just paid to adapt a story for younger readers. They would never pretend to create anything and I don't think they have any opinion for what they are doing. The only rule they have to follow is to make it as childish, fast and easy as possible. This lead to extreme deviations ( Many people who never read the novels don't understand that in reality, xanxias are +18 (violente story with sexual content and a lot of moral's deviation).

Exemple:
    - Soul Land -> Fatty's real obsession is women and "sex".

But like I said at the beginning, there're always exceptions like with Hei Zhi Shi and Sariel who have make readable adaptations of "Soul Land II" and "Shen Yin Wang Zuo" (even if ot's not perfect). "Tales of Demons and God" is ok too even if it's a little speedy and skip a lot of informations.

I think that the original support will always be superior to the new support and that people who read the manga support before the original should just give up the original if they don't want to have desillusions when they find out they can't see the manga in the same light after having open there eyes.

12. Zones

Zones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh don't remind me of the Coiling Dragon manga, such a bad adaptation.

13. Doskas

Doskas Lord of the Golden Eagles

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't mention that abomination. EVER.

14. haweii

haweii [mad scientist in-training] Fujoshi

Reading List:
    Link
    Some manga (really good mangas) use the pictures really good, like Tokyo Ghoul, the mangaka uses everything to the fullest extent. Hidden meanings in the panels, different interpretation of an expression and the overall feel is different.

But novels are also good, the explain things more detailed, and some writing styles are much more enjoyable than just reading the according manga *yes I am looking at you Yu Wo *
    But some authors explain things too unnecessary detailed and repeat themselves the whole time

15. Nevermind

Nevermind Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are fine with playing mahjong in video games, yakuza provides a good starting point. There are also a few down-to-earth guides written for it.

16. jtthwe

jtthwe Adept of Living Life to its Fullest

Reading List:
    Link
    For me the manga of the xianxia novels change the character profile of the main character and for me they are two separate books

17. Ryuubii

Ryuubii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess people changed most manhuas/manga a bit from the novels to make it worth the read

18. Nikko Anderson

Nikko Anderson The Second Apprentice of The Fourth Librarian

Reading List:
    Link
    "Adaptation" or "sequel in diffrerent media" usually can't stand against the original. for example I feel the world god only knows ln is less,interesting than the manga. And despite tenkyou no alderamin manga is interesting, the ln provide more details and it even show subtle hints the manga skipped. And if you compare original manga and original ln, I guess both of them has their own charm....