Question Martial arts novel is just about fights?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by StDuck, Jun 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StDuck

StDuck Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For some time I am in doubt if I like or not martial arts genre, every novel I am reading nowadays it’s same plot and environment.I hate the when he has a harem and his girl in take away, when he finally rescue her the other one is take. The others type is like revenge or help the clan. I would like something with less fight, like he is path of martial arts but take some time be his family, girls .... I don’t if this is just is like this. What do you think? Martial arts is necessarily just one fight after another, ascending and stuff like that or can more “slice of life”?

2. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I think by definition, the core of the martial arts genre is combat. Thus the author needs to manipulate the story so the MC or his friends and family come into dispute with others. Of course, the antagonists are stubborn and aggressive, forcing the MC into conflict whether they want to or not. With so many novels in this genre and the desires of their authors to milk the longevity of their pay-per-view novels, plots devices are going to be reused constantly. If this doesn't appeal to you, then move on. Try another genre.

If you buy a house next to a chicken farm, complaining about the noise and smell isn't going to persuade the farmer to change his methods. It's you who needs to move.

3. StDuck

StDuck Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand what you say, and is right, but do you think this cycle of fight after fight without any time to appreciate the world it is not monotonous and tired? I like fights and desire for power but think it’s necessary some pause from this like kingdom builds, they pause and show us the management of the kingdom. I like the mix of fights and when deepen the environment of mc. Maybe it’s because I my new reader about novel and don’t understand what type of gender is that

4. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial Arts Master

One of my all time favorite novels. no clan revenge and no arrogant young masters. and most of all, a medium read with 600 chaps. starts with school competitions and some minor competitions in between and after that, he goes professional. no harem but there is a well done romance, and it really shows how the mc pursued the fl with the fl not being damsel in distress or those typical cn novel tropes. try it. was a very good read in my opinion (y)

5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think this is true at all. The purest martial arts genre is wuxia and wuxia is most certainly not about the fights. Well, at least that's true of modern wuxia. Sure they do have fights, but these are designed to entertain rather than be what the books are about. Some writers out there will barely even describe the fights in detail because there are more important things going on in these stories.

It's possible that xianxia and xuanhuan writers have forgotten this reality, but if so, it would explain why their books just aren't as good.

6. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You could read dragon sword and heaven sabre and other old wuxia novel, I guess. There's always more family/sect/friends stuff, and the MC is not the lone wolf that never went home type.

7. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think character and story is obviously important for readers otherwise people would just write and read standalone action scenes with no context, which just doesn't happen. My experience with a few action webnovel series I've tried is that they often rely on very shallow story and character motivations, simple plot hooks like putting characters in and out of danger and long term mysteries that slowly get unveiled, but not too much genuinely interesting character interaction. These can keep readers hooked, but I think they tend to feel hollow at the end and not make re-reading that enticing.

The published wuxia novels I've tried from Gu Long and Jin Yong were much better with regards to character and story, and you may enjoy them more than some popular webnovels.

It would be fun to find action-genre webnovels with good character and story though, I just don't have any recommendations offhand.

StDuck likes this.
  8. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope martial arts novel are all about lucky encounter, mc killing others, surprising everyone, pissing of young masters and last but not least*****every heavenly beauties.... So there's nothing much except them....

9. luckymorris

luckymorris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might get what you look for if it's a female protagonist, like "My Master Disconnected Yet Again". You might also look for "Cultivation chat group" (male protagonist), there is a lot of slice of life and comedy in it.
    But yes, for xianxia, it's really rare to have a novel that doesn't put a break to the main plot in order to write some slice of life, it's a shame.

10. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't speak for xianxia, but this doesn't describe wuxia novels at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.