Recommendations Martial arts series where the MC isn't just the worst.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Gilly, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the 'stronger disciple' genre, where you watch a character grow from a disciple to a sect master. I really like the elements that make up these stories, but some main characters... are just the worst. Don't know what I'm talking about? I mean characters that are:
    • Arrogant: They believe they're stronger than everyone else. I especially hate it when they use the word 'trash' to describe others, even if those same others called them trash a few chapters back-- you moron, they were just as weak as you were at the same level.
    • Lecherous: For some reason, they don't have a healthy concept of love and view other people as 'objects to conquer'. Having lots of girlfriends is fine, or boyfriends even-- just treat people like god damned people. None of this having a sex slave nonsense for MCs, or marrying someone then ditching them and never seeing them again or even thinking about them.
    • Immoral: The kind of person who would just murder a whole bunch of innocents to refine their souls. I find this kind of main character hard to read... I mean, it's one thing to take death row prisoners and rival sects and refine them, but it's entirely another thing to go around seeking out people to kill and preying on the normies. Ugh.
    • Unjustified Dickishness: The kind of people who go around and insult other people without provocation. This trait is pretty rare in MCs, but I see it pop up now and again and it upsets me when the MC goes out to cause trouble without having any reason to.
    So, yeah, hoping for a novel that takes place in a martial arts setting but actually has a noble, gentle and/or kind person with morals as the protagonist! Very tired of arrogant dicks.

2. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think most of these would work. What you described sounds exclusive to CN novels after all

3. Deleted member 36162

Deleted member 36162 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like you are describing Ze Tian Ji.
    Try reading it.

Awe 128 likes this.
  4. negritis

negritis The Mathematician

Reading List:
    Link
    lord xue zing

5. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I remember this one! I had to put a long pause on it because for whatever reason the updates for it stopped. If it's still good now, I'd love to revisit it-- well, WW is down at the moment, but still. Examining the other recommendations!

7. Deleted member 36162

Reading List:
    Link
    It's in the 400 chapters now .

8. sisterofthesea

sisterofthesea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try to read "A Will Eternal".... at least the MC is not described as your version of "the worst" and it's hilarious.

9. Sunrise

Sunrise Your ordinary passerby

Reading List:
    Link
  10. AncientDaoist

AncientDaoist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial World would work too methinks

11. enigmaniac

enigmaniac Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't know it was common for MC's to have sex slaves in anything other than smut. Is this like a regular thing?

12. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, Japanese light novels have their fair share of the worst too. Though, you're right about the proportions being different, from experience.
    I'll try to read it! As always, thanks for your recommendation. I wonder what kind of 'worst' they are...
    Oh my god. The description for World of Cultivation.

Sunrise likes this.
  13. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's incredibly common in the light novels I've found. Well, you'll get it a lot more in the smut section, but with books like Warlock of the Magus World and quite a few of the 'I got reincarnated into another world and crazy plot development here!' you'll see it.

To clarify: WMW is one of the 'worst'.

14. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    At least 90% of CN novels out there have at least 1 of those 4 you mention. This is already "Finding Gems among Rocks"

Awe 128 likes this.
  15. Jastolus

Jastolus [Anti-Nihilist] [Captain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe Absolute Choice. The MC starts out as a disciple in a organisation and he plans to become a ruler. He is also one of the most moral Chinese MCs out there.

Cultivation Chat Group isn't about sects, but the MC is a good guy and it is something different compared to the usual Xianxia.

You might also try The Amber Sword, although it's not exactly the genre. A very good novel though.

Awe 128 likes this.
  16. Awe 128

Awe 128 Sedun dnes esaelp

Reading List:
    Link
    ok i know it looks bad...but i really am not stalking you .... i swear *fingers crossed*.

17. Awe 128

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Martial Peak fits your requirements i don't see any of the usual trashy traits in this mc there's also Death March but its jp so ..yeah

18. Deleted member 36162

Reading List:
    Link
    .................... *run away like the wind *

Awe 128 likes this.
  19. Awe 128

Reading List:
    Link
    *teleports right behind him in a different dimension while smiling creepily*

20. Deleted member 36162

Reading List:
    Link
    *Stopping time and disappear without a trace *

Awe 128 likes this.