Recommendations MC chooses to be Kind, despite a world where most would call that stupid.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Osamaru, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for a story where, despite being in a world that strongly follows the "Law of the Jungle", the MC chooses to not only kind, but takes a total 180 approach to most situations that others in that world might.

For example, in "Beware of Chicken", the MC takes one look at the Cultivator's normal methods of doing things; the drama, the fighting, selfishness and hypocrisy, and basically says "Nope, I'm not dealing with that".

Or In Infamous, the MC is a LITERAL Monster (and strongly suggested to be some kind of stupidly powerful Bioweapon). But grew up reading Superhero comics and honestly, earnestly tries his best to be like those people he looks up to.

I'm NOT looking for some Naive, Goody-two-shoes MC who believes in the power of magic and Friendship. In fact, a few of them here can be pretty cynical some times.

Rather the common theme here is that the MC, despite being in a world that says the "Power makes Right", the MC, all in their own way, say "screw you, that's stupid."

I'm not particularly looking for a "moral paragon". Rather I'm looking for a story where the "World" tells the MC that "Only the Strong, Ruthless and Cruel can stand on top!" and the MC says "Yaaaa, that's stupid."

Examples:
    There is no Epic Loot here, Only Puns.
    The Wandering Inn
    Beware Of Chicken
    Infamous
    My Disciple Died Yet Again.

NOTES:

1): Decent Length (100+chapters or 2-3 Volumes, depending on chapter length), and/OR being actively translated (Has been updated in the last 1 - 2 months). I.E. I don't want something with 10-15 chapters that's not been updated since August 2016, but something with 5-10 chapters that's been update Mid Jan/Feb (or even the start) is perfectly fine.
    2): No Hentai/Smut. Adult themes/Scenes are fine, but no blatant smut (I.E. a bedroom scene just for the sake of smut).
    3): Harem tag is fine, but No Polygamy.
    4): No BL/GL.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Reack, Lurking, qpzmal and 1 other person like this.
  2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to read the ones you read please link

qpzmal and Osamaru like this.
  4. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm, close enough. XD Though It always felt like she was more of "Righteous Cultivator" personally. But that could be brushed off more as her gaining Cultivator cultural habits over her lifetimes,

qpzmal and Anra7777 like this.
  5. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    qpzmal likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    qpzmal likes this.
  7. jad14661

jad14661 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    try Reverend Insanity :blobokhand:

Nour-aldene, Wujigege and qpzmal like this.
  8. jad14661

Reading List:
    Link
    try this one here
    the name kinda matches what your title was asking for

qpzmal likes this.
  9. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehhhh, Isn't this MC a Psychopath? Don't think it really fits here.

LampShader, mir and qpzmal like this.
  10. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen this one, but people has say it ends up just another Wish Fulfillment story.

jad14661 and qpzmal like this.
  11. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    The Legendary Mechanic, this is really good, like very good.

It's surprising how good it is, it felt like it kept getting better and better. The MC is basically an NPC who becomes the Protagonist and tricks everyone. He turns players into his personal piggy banks, scams them without them ever realizing it, and makes himself as "The Protagonist of The Galaxy". There's way more than that, and it's a nice Sci-Fi novel.

He's a Mechanic, and he's nice, but he's very profit driven,
    and it just so happens that being nice can make you a lot of money. :blobpopcorn:

I'll send you a link to site that isn't bullshit, like Bo N vel.c o m, *COUGH*, *COUGH*, later. :blobfistbumpR:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    qpzmal likes this.
  12. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Stained Tower, maybe. She's certainly trying to say "Nope," but the world isn't really cooperating with her yet.

Cinnamon Bun, maybe. She likes to act naive, but I think that's simply because she's choosing to see the best in people, even when they don't particularly want to see it in themselves. Whether that would be too close to the naive protagonists you dislike is hard to say.

Heart of Cultivation, maybe. MC mostly says "Nope" because he doesn't have the power to do otherwise. I'm not so sure he'd be opposed to the whole "might makes right" thing if he wasn't near the bottom of the power ladder though.

After the Mountains are Flattened. Its not clear in the beginning, but this is absolutely the story of someone who saw a "might makes right" world and decided to change it as much as he could to be a more peaceful, less brutal place. The story takes place after he's already conquered the majority of the world though.

Sign-in Buddha's Palm, maybe. MC is more of a coward than a moral paragon, so I'm not sure he's really what you're looking for.

Reack and qpzmal like this.
  13. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm, not quite. While I'd argue that MC is def a good guy trying to do what he can, the way he goes about it is more Knight's Templar, My way or the Highway, style XD HAAHAHAHAHA!

I'm not particularly looking for a "moral paragon". Rather I'm looking for a story where the "World" tells the MC that "Only the Strong, Ruthless and Cruel can stand on top!" and the MC says "Yaaaa, that's stupid."

Reack and SquadCammander354 like this.
  14. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/15441/after-the-mountains-are-flattened

This one? Are you sure? because that sounds like a Game Story, to me. Or is there another one?

15. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a game story. Its a lot more complicated than that would imply though.

I suppose whether or not it would qualify would depend on whether you're willing to consider AIs that are capable of the full range of human emotion and experience as being people. Basically, the MC does believe that they are people, and does his best to conquer the game world so that the NPCs don't have to fear the murder hobo players/NPCs as much. Of course, this isn't the focus of the story since, as I said, he's mostly already conquered the world by the time the story starts. Its what the name of the series is referring to, though its not explained until quite a ways into the story.

Osamaru likes this.
  16. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    am also interested. followed

mir and Osamaru like this.
  17. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    i just noticed your list lacked this "a story where the "World" tells the MC that "Only the Strong, Ruthless and Cruel can stand on top!" and the MC says "Yaaaa, that's stupid.""
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/31474/magic-smithing

18. AbsoluteNothingness

AbsoluteNothingness Lumen De Aurora

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps:
    Tales of Herding Gods
    Infinite Bloodcore
    I've seen situations in both where MC could choose the more ruthless and merciless option following the law of the jungle but they refrain from doing so because of their own moral compass and perspectives.

19. jad14661

Reading List:
    Link
    mc is kinda crazy but the side characters really do get a lot of love, some still have the potential to defeat the mc

20. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Grand_Rider_Iskandar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, this is indeed a good example but it is dull as fuck. Nothing happens, MC views the world in her own rose tinted glasses.

I really, really want for some ashole to arrive to just destroy everthing in her dungeon so that she would get some reality check. I thought I was going to see something like that to challenge her unrealistic ideals. But no, the plot armor is undestructible.

It is basically Beware of Chicken except that the protagonist is an immature idealist. I'm okay with that but the problem is the author isn't giving the MC a chance to mature and grow up.

Just read Blue Core or Dungeon Heart.

The Blue Core MC built a suitable living space for rhe refugees in his dungeon. Normally, dungeons are under the control of wizzards as seige engines and army spawner.

Dungeon Heart dungeons is simillar to There is no Epic Loot Only Puns. The dungeons are seen as a source of resource. The MC is a master dwarven craftsman that merged with a dungeon core so he uses his dungeon as a way to test the adventures if they are wothy enough to have the items he crafted.