Measures for avoiding translations being stolen

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by locksleyu, Nov 23, 2016.

1. locksleyu

locksleyu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems that a certain site has picked up one my translations (will leave out the name to avoid giving them more traffic), and has cut and paste the text so that users can read the entire chapter without to the original page. There is a small link to the original at bottom, but very few users actually go there. Neither the author's name nor the translator (my) name is present on the page.

I can try contacting the site owner to work things out, but I'd just prefer to release future chapters in a fashion that they cannot be easily cut and pasted. I know there are Wordpress plugins for this but not sure how well they work, but I wanted to get the communities feedback as to if anyone has tried these, or is using other mechanisms to prevent translation stealing.

2. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    some of the translator's already talks about that hmmm some of them put some white text or something and there's also a translator only server on dc just ask @Parth37955 or any other mod for further details
    @GM_Rusaku

3. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let there be flood.

Idk. I'm just a reader.

4. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    This is an old topic, and there have been several attempted methods of solving it.

Some released unedited chapters, then edited them a few days later, just to see if they copied all releases.
    Some add in 'invisible' text in the chapters, which will be copied when copy-pasted, and then readers will see something like 'This translation was provided by *****' and so on.
    And so on.

There's no clear way to escape it, other than if they used the same method as munpia does I think, because the reason people don't GT that is a) You can't copy-paste it, because it's... flash-protected or something, maybe scanned, or whatever. b) chapter fees.

If they wanted to prevent it, use a).

5. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people use the simplest way of avoiding copy paste. That is placing text between the paragraph in a colour that matches the background colour. Making it appear invisible unless you highlight the text. This is the simplest way of doing it once you've done the initial coding to just copy/paste later on.
    For example, I placed an asterisk there. Most document softwares have a search function that allows you to highlight all asterisks and replace them with another word/phrase. Which can lessen the work for manually copy pasting and change every space.

This is the easiest trick I think.

Try avoid mentioning the websites when he was so kind of avoid mentioning it, himself.

aoiisora and Solus like this.
  6. TranslationNations

TranslationNations Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had someone work on a plugin for Wordpress that fixes it its mostly done i plan to share it with the community when its done.

c.decora, two, SnowTime and 7 others like this.
  7. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh...these places should be torn down!!

Bazikiller likes this.
  8. greeeed

greeeed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Manga have same problem for years.
    Example: mangafox .

Atleast they put link to original website

9. locksleyu

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Cancel

Cancel Procrastinator

Reading List:
    Link
    It has already became a plague for manga. I hope it can at least be exterminated early on in novel translation community.

Bazikiller likes this.
  11. Amphidsf

Amphidsf Realm Razor

Reading List:
    Link
    Make the entire chapter a .png file and just host the image with multiple watermarks. Problem Solved.

12. greeeed

greeeed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry yo destroy everyone hope and dream But those plugin could only stop noobs who just know how to copy and paste.

I guess they are better then nothing.
    Since they will stop noobs ( but hard to stop websites like mangafox )

readerz likes this.
  13. asdfghjkl

asdfghjkl jnvfnvfutucbdtcbbyhn

Reading List:
    Link
    Ive done some scraping work as a freelance before and the only way to protect text is to rasterize it (OCR still sucks). Even the way munipia does it has workarounds (I have verified that the text information is still available and simply needs to be decoded by rewriting the process they use in their swf file in whatever language you are scraping with. I did something similar with a video protection method employed on some streaming sites).

Hidden text is a decent way to notify people reading it that it is stolen text but 1) Most people reading on these aggregate sites dont give a crap 2) Its easy to use a script filter out text that isnt of the intended color.

Back on to rasterization though. It protects your text but that doesnt stop them from stealing the images and even worse hot linking to them.

All in all protecting content from those that wish to steal it is a lost battle. Just look at DRM and how effective that has been at stopping people. When there is a will there is a way to get around this stuff (With games there has been successes in moving more of the code to the server end rather than the client. However that does not apply in this situation).

While not very effective Id recommend the hidden text method since it isnt much trouble to implement and will at least prompt some people with good consciences to read it on your website instead.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    strayCat0, readerz and aoiisora like this.
  14. locksleyu

Reading List:
    Link
    How about converting it to PDF and then embedding it in the blog? Seems like that might work since there is no cut and paste, and no button to download the PDF

15. icaneattomato

icaneattomato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My suggestions
    Best Case, difficult to implement : Write the translations by hand, and input your site address in between words etc.. scan it and upload it.

Second Best : Translate it in word etc.. insert site in between words (modify the pattern just write what ever you want) take a image and upload it. (These fake's won't take the time to use OCR and remove your own words).

Third Best : Insert ugly words at the start middle end for the fake's who copy your translation, unless they are shameless bastards (which most of them are) they won't steal it.

16. SageRozenburg

SageRozenburg [Not a pervert][Not Suspicious]

Reading List:
    Link
    wasnt there a plugin or software that disables copy option? i recently encountered that when i tried to quote in my homework. cant remember what website, i had to tab=type=tab=type.

17. mayy

mayy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you post stuff in text format (e.g. not images or using some type of flash object), I don't think there's really any way to stop it from being copied. Most plugins and things like that will stop users from easily copying text on your pages, but it's also a very easy thing to circumvent. This is the way of the internet. Personally, I think that making your content hard to copy also tends to worsen the reading experience... which will only push your readers to read on other sites.

Otwentyfirst and readerz like this.
  18. GM_Rusaku

GM_Rusaku Neptune-sama's Devoted Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone has summoned me, I'm now here ready to nepu!
    A little advice. Those two plugins wont work as they use text parsing and not copypaste.

I have found a solution for their text parsing.
    Try copy pasting my chapter.http://www.nepustation.com/the-gm-has-logged-into-a-different-world/isekai-gm-ch10/

Seems like garbage text right? What I used here is a custom font I created myself. I'll make a video on how to do it as I promised @Solus I'll make one after I finished my own translation work for this week.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  19. GM_Rusaku

Reading List:
    Link
    Done this and it aint stoping them.

20. GM_Rusaku

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, also done that and guess what, they stoled it.