Recommendations Mecha Sci-Fi Novel

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Twilight Fox, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Twilight Fox

Twilight Fox 【Foxy】【Ayayayay!】

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm in the mood for Mecha and Sci-Fi. For some random reason, I don't feel like watching INFINITE STRATOS SO STOP RECCOMENDING IT TO ME JUST BECAUSE I WATCHED 1 EPISODE OF GURREN LAGANN, and I'm tired of watching anime in general at the moment. Unfortunately, I can't just Google a list of the top 10 Best Sci-Fi webnovels because the top searches are all webnovels.com, and we all know that isn't the place to find quality.

I need some political intrigue that doesn't hinge on stupid logic and miscommunications, while also retaining the KABOOM of missiles, assualt cannons, and lasers.

I already read Daedalus(WHY DO I LOVE THE SERIES MOST LIKELY TO GO ON EXTENDED HIATUS!!!) and I already read Knights & Magic. And if you don't have any good Mecha, maybe just recomend whatever space opera novel you think is good.....

wtfkjp likes this.
  2. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Paladin on royalroadl

3. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    Read it already

4. wtfkjp

wtfkjp ASDFGGWP

Reading List:
    Link
    full metal panic :)

5. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    (-_-)
    This seems like one of those shows/mangas/LN that uses BS logic to justify major plot points...

7. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    Already watched it. My favorite Mecha BTW, Even if they do use A LOT of logic leaps.

8. Har D Rai

Har D Rai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. wtfkjp

wtfkjp ASDFGGWP

Reading List:
    Link
    i meant the novel, it already ended there. haven't seen the anime, maybe they missed a lot of stuff thus leap in logic, but honestly, best scifi mech out there.

10. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Judging by the author's previous behavior, either he burnt himself out again or he decided to just drop writing it as a free webnovel and focus on his obsession in publishing it as a paid novel exclusively on amazon.

I would have recommended the various Muv-Luv novels except they have, unfortunately, mostly never been translated. I did find the incomplete first volume of one of the novel series: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/muvluv-alternative-schwarzesmarken/

If you werent bored of anime, i would've recommended Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse which fits everything you want. Gunparade March would also fit.

As for novels... i would absolutely recommend reading the Heavy Object novels. There's currently 15 volumes translated and they go well beyond what the anime covered (it only covered 2 or 3 volumes).
    Apart from HO, there arent any real proper mecha novels that are being translated (for reasons unknown). They're mostly IS style or they're stories where mecha is thrown in just to be different.

Full Metal Panic is pretty shitty and edgy imo, especially later into the novels.

11. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything from webnovel.com is an automatic no. Sorry. Also, I read Warlock of the Maybe World, I'm iffy on the Plagarists works. By the end of WotMW the real MC was the microchip.

12. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu

Ddraig likes this.
  13. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's hope he didn't die and get reborn into a Mecha world. He still hasn't finished the Mecha world in this life.

Never heard of this...Muv-Luv....let's see what it's about. Gunparade tho, sounds interesting!

14. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    OOOH, space opera. Might check this one out.

15. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok...just looked at Muv-Luv....I saw the words "Adult Game" in the Google search and promptly left....Gunparade tho....hmmm it's a little 90s for my taste, but seems good enough.

16. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not mecha, but Sci-fi. Chrysalis. Epub at the bottom. It doesn't really have a lot of politics though. :aww:

I'm also going to recommend I’m the Evil Lord of an Intergalactic Empire! while I like it very much I'm not sure about you. Lots of misunderstandings to a comedic effect. It does have lots of mecha/starship battles though. :cookie:

Probably not mecha, but starships. Insane AI with control over a massive dreadnaught class starship seeks revenge. The Last Angel. Actually I'm not 100% sure if that synopsis is correct as I stopped reading it after a certain chapter.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Cutter Masterson likes this.
  17. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a Korean novel, about a legendary fleet commander who wakes up a century later and finds that most of history has been rewritten because of a military coup. Due to the fact he was created partly with alien DNA he looks young and have to hide as a student while he figure out his next step to restore civilian government.
    Dawnbringer, but it's abandoned.

Sabruness likes this.
  18. ZhypherMU

ZhypherMU Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Mech Touch ~

19. Lord Luc

Lord Luc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cough* Google COUGH*

20. Twilight Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen Chrysalis around but was questioning weather or not it was a good read. Royal Road tends to be a bit heavy on the LitRPGs, but everyone always seems to absolutely NEED to explain what magic is, what strength does, and the fact that we are looking at a standard run of the mill RPG stat screen with few deviations.

The other one tho....hmmmmm let's see....