Spoiler Medical Return

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by lacerem, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Asphyxia778

Asphyxia778 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's the ending?

I agree. Lee Sangmin really needs therapy

Btw any spoiler about the ending?

I just read chapter 136 of the manga and damn Lee Sangmin was let down so much. I get that Jinhyun doesn't really like him but he noticed Sangmin's anguished expression and yet didn't care? Really? What do you mean "he's just a bad guy, nothing else" !? I'm so mad
    Sangmin is the one character who deserves a proper mental healthcare and redemption. Ah and Sangmin definitely did care for Seolhwa as well cause he didn't hurt her, he definitely cares and he probably decided to give himself up to the cops for her because she said that she'd stay by his side. For a manga about medical stuff why did the one who needs therapy the most get neglected

2. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It does. I found it in novelhall
    I think if it is MTL but it was understandable (kinda) so I did glance over it for spoilers I wanted

3. eteru98

eteru98 Member

Reading List:
    Link

Doctors aren't psychic. There's a lot of tests to determine if they really have a problem with mental health. Just because he has family problems doesn't mean he has one.

Moreover, the MC is a human not some kind of angel so emotions will get ahead of him. What happened to Sangmin is unfortunate but that doesn't justify his actions and he's still a bad guy nothing more.

I won't sympathize with a guy who will kill a patient just for the sake of revenge no matter what happens to him in the past. If he doesn't need a jail then those serial killers must need a psychiatrist as well since they probably have a "mental issue" as well.

4. Rhythmic

Rhythmic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The plot: MC is a great returnee doctor

Also MC: fails to notice the antagonist's mental sickness, fails to notice the signals which could've prevented worse things from happening. (Despite already knowing how shitty the antagonist's father is & the hints left by the antagonist himself.)

And the love interest is actually the antagonist's sister who didn't say anything about her family's situation a.k.a the heavy expectations her brother is carrying on his shoulders (edit: and his circumstances? Hello? The daily verbal abuse from the mother, brother, and beatings from dear father? Pfft, of course not, probably in her eyes her mother and brother did nothing wrong. The family fell apart and her mother suicide weren't because of the shitty father, it's all on Sangmin). Ran away by herself because she's afraid of the father's abusement, practically abandoning her brother to fend for himself--a shitty sister if I must say.

The MC knows Sangmin from highschool for goodness sake. And the MC is dating the sister (read above).

Sure it didn't justify his actions, but the MC, who is supposed to be a great doctor, saved tons of patients, and supposedly prevented Sangmin's murder attempt, didn't try to understand WHY Sangmin did such a thing? I mean, if Sangmin is really evil & wants to commit murder, he won't leave 'hints'. It's like him saying 'please stop me, help me'. But noooo, of course the MC has to be brainless at times like this. This is a plothole the author is trying to hide. They left Sangmin's evil deeds just like that (at face value) and didn't let the characters to investigate further. They practically left the person who needed treatment the most by himself & stamp him as 'evil'.

Which is why I still stand by the fact that the MC could've prevented worse things from happening but he didn't. Great doctor? More like plot armor. And the sister is really a pain. She distanced herself from the family because of abuse? Okay, understandable, but running away by herself & abandoning her brother is NOT okay. She doesn't even visit him when he's in the mental hospital. I quote "no one other than me visited him" from Yeonhee chapter 141. Talk about heartless. Doesn't this imply that she have no affection for her brother at all? And you have no problem for such a woman becoming the main love interest? Wow, just... wow.

When I talk about 'family', the parents can be shitty but the siblings usually shares the same hardship & understands each other most. Which is why Sangmin's situation is unrealistic.

Or maybe, from the beginning it's the author's intention to play with our feelings -_-

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A bit controversial, but if you're gonna portray someone as a creep/criminal, give them a face to match. Much of the sympathy for Sangmin comes, I believe, from the fact that he's attractive. I mean, look at it— Sangmin is not a bad guy because he suffers from mental illness even though those he makes suffer have the duty to reduce his suffering or they are not good enough. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  6. eteru98

eteru98 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A great doctor doesn't necessarily mean a perfect one and moreover Sangmin is a guy who made a mess with MC's career. He wasn't that great to begin with since he just had a headstart of anyone else using past memories. You're looking to much on Sangmin's situation that you overlook the perspective of the victims. A doctor is a human not some kind of saint who would sympathize with a guy made a mess with his life. MC is a surgeon not a psychiatrist. Moreover, Sangmin doesn't really open up with the MC and always smiling. Family problems aren't uncommon to the point you need to visit a doctor if you have one and getting deep in that matters telling the guy to go psychiatrist is an insensitive thing since people sometimes don't want to admit there's something wrong with them.

From a normal standpoint, would you even properly rationalize on why the offender did that when he basically almost kills you even deep inside he has no intention of? The MC's thoughts are normal for semeone who has been wronged. What you want is perfect doctor who is also a saint. Also people usually forgets these bad things and move one. Why even bother with bad things that happened. Treating it as nightmare is the normal thing to do.

Sangmin was a victim at some point but he could've have initiated his revenge on the right guy not some random patient. From that point he wasn't a victim anymore but rather just a "bad guy" and a punishment is need for what he did. The victims won't care if he has mental problems since they were just caught up with his actions in the first place and all they will think is punishment for the offender which is normal.

"Victim Blaming"

That's like saying rapist should be pardoned because he has mental illness that makes him do that thus blaming the victim because she's wearing seductive clothes.

But hey Sangmin is handsome and he has mental illness and he has a dark past so should be pardoned and it's the victim's fault that they did nothing when they have no idea what's going with his mind.

Amanda16, deicide. and otaku31 like this.
  7. terpseachore

terpseachore Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Perhaps you missed the chapters where he tried to kill her? Where she knew that her half-brother killed her own brother? Where her mother committed suicide because her father brought them in? Where they didn't grow up together? There's only little kindness you could give and sometimes kindness can be shown by giving it to your own self.

Sangmin's situation is unrealistic? Hey, to anyone who is reading this: you are free to cut off your blood kin. You matter more than anyone else. I abhor this toxicity as I've seen this countless of times, especially in Asian families.

Why would MC think about the reasons behind Sangmin's actions? We've already seen how ruthless a person can be without an "exempting circumstance". We already know how far a person can go just to achieve something. Instead of sympathizing with Sangmin, perhaps try it with MC instead?

Think of how you were given a second chance in life, and you try to live up to it by doing your very best. You become friends with a guy who ruthlessly bullied you in your past life, only to realise that he has been trying to sabotage you all along. His father is your boss. Your superiors are relying on you too much. Your other superiors are jealous of you. You barely get any sleep. How tiring is that?

Also, complex villains are written not to find fault with the MC. They're written to paint more accurate individuals. You are supposed to understand their actions, not condone them. Remember, a reader has a wider perspective than the MC. He does not know that he has been killing animals, he does not know that he has been having episodes. All he knows is that he is willing to do anything for his desires based on his previous life and the actions of Sangmin's father.

8. Rhythmic

Rhythmic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally, someone who tries to talk to me about Lee Haemi. First of all thank you for addressing this matter, which people avoided.

Then, let us share the facts so far regarding this mess called the Lee family:

The father committed adultery and brought Sangmin back to the house. His mother was immediately brought to hospital due to schizophrenia.

The legal wife, for whatever reason, instead of blaming/divorcing the father, she blamed Sangmin and verbally abuse him, saying "dirty blood, etc" probably daily. Which Bumsoo copied.

The family falling apart is no one’s fault, but the father’s. He’s the one who met the lady at the pub and impregnated her, yet the whole family is against Sangmin? He was a child, very abused every day and had no way to vent his feelings. Imagine how many years he have to hear their contempt and live under the same roof. How can he not be mentally unstable?

You are right to say "You are free to cut off your kin", but this did not happen with the shitty father which is unrealistic to me. Why the hell is the legal wife holding onto such marriage and later, suicide, leaving her supposedly beloved children under the shitty father's mercy?

And the attempted murder of Lee Haemi? If I remember correctly, she was talking about how she wanted revenge on her brother's murderer. Oh, so NOW you want to do something when things have gotten this worse? Where were you when an innocent child was abused by your mother, brother, and father? Oh wait, you're probably thinking that your mother was right, that it was Sangmin's fault your family fell apart, not because of your shitty father.

She practically waited UNTIL Sangmin decided to become the villain everyone wanted him to be.

She had the chance to become a friend/sister to Sangmin, but she didn't take it. She chose to side with her mother and brother despite the obvious abuse and how he didn't have anyone on his side. What did Sangmin exactly do back then to deserve such treatment? For being born from adultery? Was ignorance/closing your eyes a sin? It's hard to say since she was only a child back then. But after she became an adult, she still didn't learn any better?

I guess in a way, these people are fine examples of how your surroundings and parents affect what kind of people you grow to become.

The attempted murder of an innocent child is a whole other situation though, Sangmin deserves time/punishment for that one. But then again, he still left hints, probably wanting someone to stop/catch him. A life in jail seems better, at least he doesn't need to meet that shitty father again.

Lastly, I have two questions for the MC:
    Why the heck are you so obstinate and work on the hospital with shitty boss and the friend who obviously hinted to stay away from there? Is there no other hospital around?

Edit: on second thought, you may argue that the legal wife doesn't want divorce because she's too used with luxurious lifestyle and cannot afford to raise two children by her own/"live in the slums" after divorce. (Which raise another question: if the legal wife's family is not good/as powerful as the Lee family, how did she even get married into the family in the first place?) And the suicide? Credits to mental illness (depression) again. So I'll take a step back and admit how toxic an Asian family can be and write this whole thing as a tragic family background story of a villain.

But the MC and Lee Haemi? I still don't like them. I didn't expect them to be saints, but damn, the author really didn't give them a chance to examine Sangmin further. So much for a medical manhwa. Mental health doesn't get a highlight. I still believe that Sangmin is a patient that needed treatment the most.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  9. deicide.

deicide. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm writing this while remembering v little about what happened in the beginning.

you know haemi was also a child when that happened to sangmin? how can you expect someone to help you when you cant even help yourself? I think it's unrealistic to even blame her for the "could've help him". for all we know she might've been afraid that if she helped then she might've gotten the anger or even if she didn't, then she's just guilty of having the bystander effect.
    I am sure sangmin could've turned out totally different if he was given the chance. he was given some chance in high school when they really became friends but he chose to do it by himself and disconnect. I don't expect the MC and haemi to actually do something since it is not their responsibility.

the MC has already stated he wants to stay there because of the shit that sangmin is doing and I can see that as him wanting to put sangmin in his place and enforcing justice and what not. how the hell is the MC supposed to know that sangmin is only doing this because he feels inferior to him or because his father is giving him pressure. so yeah maybe him leaving might've helped save the women that sangmin decided to murder indirectly. but when that happened, no one knew how it happened and MC got the brunt of it. he was brought to trial and got his medical license suspended and I think that's disgusting. no matter what, sangmin should not be playing God and play with people's life.
    I can't rmb why he wanted to be at daeil in the first place but wtv.

anyway I will say this. yes sangmin needs mental help but knowing why he does it is good enough for me. I will not pity him and think he deserves whatever is coming for him because of what he did. if he had chosen to do things differently or rather not involve a third party in his struggle against himself, MC and his father then I would have definitely have a better outlook on him.
    I think he got an ending that's suitable for him? if it matters. I think yeon hee helped him in realizing that he was messed up and that he actually needed help and I'm glad for that. the so called finale is his own way of owning up to mistakes I guess? but he still innocent people's life due to his feeling towards MC.

MC has his flaws, he is human. he reincarnated with only the goal of being rich and living the easy life. he is not a genius. even at his time he wasn't counted as one. I do not expect anything from him. he is fine the way he is for me. maybe he couldve helped sangmin but who was he to sangmin? a pain in the ass, an eyesore. I don't expect the MC to be someone who'll latch onto sangmin and get him to soften up. that is unrealistic and they aren't that close anyway. sure he got in sangmin's way in school and in career but that doesn't warrant anything. he did try to give some "advice" or "help" to sangmin in high school but sangmin never tried to open up or found it hard to do so and that's why it became an ill fated relationship.

haemi is just haemi. yes like you said. she could've helped and may have helped if she has been in sangmin shoes but rly what can you know when you're not the person involved. besides her brother got killed by sangmin and they were saying her mother as well? (her mother's one. meh. I rly dont rmb. maybe I'm feeding myself false info.) they had a somewhat ok relationship before her brother died iirc.

Amanda16 and otaku31 like this.
  10. Rhythmic

Rhythmic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure you only read the first few sentences of my comment and not the last ones.

Like I said, "Was ignorance/closing your eyes a sin? It's hard to say since she was only a child back then. But after she became an adult, she still didn't learn any better?"

Yes, Haemi was a child so it was normal if she didn't try/have the power to help. But when she's an adult, she didn't try to do anything about the abuse. Remember the brother, Bumsoo? He's still calling Sangmin with 'filthy blood, etc' before finally getting himself killed. Is being a bystander not a sin? Which is why I said she practically waited UNTIL Sangmin decided to become the villain everyone wanted him to be.

I do not justify his actions but it frustrated me whenever I thought about Haemi not feeling any guilt for letting her family treat Sangmin like shit--for letting Sangmin walk the dark path. The author glossed it over with 'Haemi thinking her mother's suicide is Sangmin's fault'. She must've seen the way her brother, mother, & father mistreat him (they lived under the same roof for goodness sake), and for years, she stood at the sidewalk and only speak about 'justice' when things have come to worse? Back then, at least she still have her brother and mother's support, but what about Sangmin?

There are also some things worth questioning regarding the mother's suicide. Like why the heck is she clinging to a marriage that is already broken? Can't she just divorce? Did she even thought about her children when she decided to suicide? She must've known about how her husband beating them daily, but she still decided to leave them under his mercy. If she can't divorce because she's afraid to 'live in the slums' as I quote from a chapter or too used to luxury, it raises another question: If her family isn't as powerful as the Lee family, how in the world did they even get married in the first place?

And why the hell is the legal wife blamed only Sangmin and not her husband? He was just a child, around the same age as her children. It's unrealistic for an adult to blame a child rather than the husband who's fooling around and the root of all problems. Until the very end, she cursed Sangmin.

As for the MC, you said he wants to be rich and live an easy life. "The MC has already stated he wants to stay there because of the shit that sangmin is doing and I can see that as him wanting to put sangmin in his place and enforcing justice and what not."

All I see is a half hearted attempt. He said he wanted to stay there because of Sangmin or wtv, but the fact is he didn't exactly have the power to do anything besides making things more difficult for Sangmin. You can argue he saves a lot of people, but why the heck didn't he just go to a different hospital when he got suppressed by the boss there? He can raise in power so much better + faster + safer in a different hospital AND THEN, only then, do something about Sangmin. But of course not, the hardships keep the story going and more exciting that way, right?

11. deicide.

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sure I read it all but maybe I didn't understand it properly. then that is my fault.

haemi has also been abused since she was young. it was just that she became docile so that she would not continue to be treated that way. even if she has grown up, I highly doubt she would do anything infront of her father in how he treats sangmin. she was young when it happen and is still traumatized by it.
    hell who knows what would happen if she told her brother to treat sangmin nicely after all the times the brother treated sangmin like shit.
    did her brother treat sangmin like shit infront of haemi? I can't remember but her brother might've been a saint towards her. the brother is probably treating sangmin the same way since he would've thought sangmin and his mother was the cause that made his mother commit suicide. tho his actions towards sangmin after becoming an adult is really uncalled for.

no. being a bystander is not a sin but everyone or rather most people are like that. unless you're very selfless. and honestly, her being the way she is seems more realistic to me. she was also being abused albeit not as badly as sangmin but she would've been too caught up by her own stuff to even care about anything besides herself.

yes she would've seen how his mother and sangmin got treated. but you have to remember. her mother was her father's legal wife. her father had a history of having many affairs and the father just had to bring home sangmin and his mother (which is unfortunate that it happened to them). haemi's mother was already depressed before they came and when they did it just became a source of anger that she can let it out or rather become a stronger and nearer source of her depression. haemi wouldve seen her mother getting more and more depressed when they arrived and she would think that them coming to the house is led to her committing suicide. obv it is not sangmin and his mother's fault but in the eye of a child. she would have hated sangmin and his mother. so why would she then decided to help sangmin? yes she should've known that it is her father's fault after so many years but I don't think she is that ready to accept that and that's why she doesn't help sangmin but just not aggregate it by abusing sangmin. even if she admits it that it is her father's fault. I am sure she would still have I'll feelings towards him. and u do not expect her to treat him kindly. the way I see it, she treats sangmin in the most idle way?

honestly the one about divorcing is what I question about the most. but seeing as this is set in Korea, an Asian country, I would think that it is mainly because divorce is frown upon and since the father would not want to get viewed as a disgrace by his own father and brother's, he would not let a divorce happen either. that's as far as I can come up with, which is what I think of as most possible.

yes it is. I agree that she shouldn't have blamed the child and the women. but you've got to look at her perspective? she can't possibly blame her husband since he might abuse her, her only way of coping (while having depression) is to say that all the women enticed him. it is unrealistic but when u see the full picture it kind of is? a depressed women who can't do anything about her husband's affair, brings home his affair and child and asking them to live together? she would've gone out of her mind. between the women and sangmin she would've blamed sangmin since he is younger and an easier target. I'm not sure if she ever aimed at the women. many women would much rather blame the other party instead of their spouses which is sad. we can say it's wrong since we are looking at it from the outside but when you're in the situation, you don't think too much or rather don't want to.

i pity sangmin. but would haemi doing anything when she was an adult change anything? I honestly doubt so. I won't say anything about when she's a kid because that's even less likely.
    sangmin became the way he is because when his mother died he decided to become the best and take over his father and brother. but when the MC came back in time and became better than him, he couldn't take the pressure. what he did was simple to destroy the MC, who stood in his way. MC tried to comfort him in high school altho he didn't know exactly what's up with sangmin and altho sangmin appreciated it, he found the MC annoying and set his mind to just destroy the MC, which caused innocent lives to be played with.

12. Rhythmic

Rhythmic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you, deicide, for patiently replying to my comments. Do excuse me if I sound irritating now and then, I've been pretty invested in the story only to be disappointed.

After reading your reply, I've come to realize that it seems we have different value regarding whether being a bystander is a sin or not. To me, being a bystander is a sin (probably because I'm a petty person, I tend to hold grudges). As much as the ones who are throwing stones at you.

However, I agree that Haemi is also an abuse victim and got the same trauma, which prioritized her own well being above anything else. That is understandable. After all, only few humans can be selfless.

This tragedy called the Lee family is really depressing. Maybe this is why the MC's lack of investigation/half hearted involvement despite dating Haemi frustrated me the most. I'll say this again; so much for a medical manhwa. Mental health is only used for spice, the author didn't touch anything regarding treatment, only the cause-and-effect. Did the author seriously expected me to 'get over it? Or that I must overcome it by myself?

I've come to accept that I and most of you, will never see from eye to eye.

Edit: On second thought, could it be that when the MC returned to the past & getting himself involved with Sangmin, Haemi, & Daeil hospital, secured his future but messing up with Sangmin's future due to a butterfly effect? Without him around, Sangmin would've probably taken over the Lee family without any needless bloodshed -_- good job author.

Amanda16 likes this.
  13. deicide.

Reading List:
    Link
    thank you to you too! it is alright. I didn't come to argue or to get on anyone's nerve. I'm glad we are able to share our views. do forgive me as well if I come off as harsh too.

it seems so. I do think being a bystander is a sin however I do not think it is as much of a sin as the one doing it. because as a bystander I would have to also worry about my well being unless I am a selfless person. I wouldn't know how the people I'm about to help would react. we would have to agree to disagree on this point but I do understand your view and hope I could've seen things from the way you do! I think I'm on this side mainly because I know I would be afraid to do anything and honestly people like you who would do something are very brave and I respect that.

that is true! I can't help but think if the MC probed more then he would've found out something and could've changed it. mental health hasn't really been seen as an important aspect in the medical story. and I agree with you that it has only been used as a spice and honestly I would've loved it if after the whole fiasco maybe the MC and sangmin could've talked or maybe even found out about each other and maybe emphatize. he doesn't have to forgive him or anything but I had hoped he would've understood why he turned out the way he is.

well that is fine honestly. I do see where you're coming from though and really appreciate your view.

ah yes. that's what I was thinking as well. it really seems that the cause is the MC himself lolol. I also did find myself thinking that sangmin would've become a little less unhinged. he might've gotten what he wanted and would have better self esteem(?) since there wasn't MC to be better than him. but I think it might've gotten somewhat violent as well since his brother would've been somewhat in his way. it could've been done without innocent lives at stake but other lives? maybe not. this story is just the definition of butterfly effect haha.

Amanda16 likes this.
  14. eteru98

eteru98 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, the fact that he killed people in the original timeline is very high. He was rotten even before he met the MC. He was bullying innocent people since junior high as stated by his classmates and he bullied the MC to the point he wanted to commit suicide. He always wanted revenge so he probably killed his older brother as well in the previous timeline or sabotage his patients for downfall.

So much for a guy who's been bullied by his family yet doing the same thing to others to vent frustration. A person who's been in that situation should know very well how to feel oppressed yet doing the same thing to others.

Moreover, you can't really determine if he really he is mentally ill at that time or just doing it because his ego got trampled by the MC since he only developed schizophrenia after the time he try to killed the MC then was punished by the heavens. Also criminals with schizophrenia are mostly taken to jail rather than hospitals.

There's also no need for the MC to investigate what happens to his family further. Making the MC sympathize with him will only disregard the feelings of the victims. It's more good to say the Sangmin is just a bad guy rather than blaming his mental illness. His mental illness might contributed to his crimes but that doesn't mean it's all because of that. Not all mentally ill people even the one with worst cases can kill. Even people with rough childhood. Claiming that he did it just because of mental illness will just make all the mentally ill people look like potential killers. He's just a "bad" guy with mental illness.

15. Rhythmic

Rhythmic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm also glad that we're able to share our views! After reading your comment, I thought about the legal wife's depression along with some self-reflection; about how she must've felt. And actually, you're right about it's easier to target Sangmin since he's weak and cannot retaliate, unlike the shitty husband who can raise his hand and slap her/maybe worse.

And yes, you're right about mental health hasn't really been seen as an important aspect in the medical story. It's even worse in the past where they consider plunging a stick to your brain and move it around as a 'treatment'. I forgot what it was called, but once upon a time, this treatment even got the world's approval and won something like a NOBEL prize. *shivers* what dark history we have.

Again, thank you for being open minded and listening to my rants. I'm pretty satisfied now after clearing some misunderstandings.

At this point, I'm well aware that there will be people who will only see things in Black and White. The Gray area is often ignored/not given enough thoughts.

"A person who's been in that situation should know very well how to feel oppressed yet doing the same thing to others."--you can say this because you've probably never been verbally/physically abused for years. During teenage years, emotions are often amplified and with how selfish we (humans) are, we will ask ourselves, 'What did we ever do to deserve this? Why are other people allowed to be happy and I'm not? Why am I the only one receiving this kind of pain?', unable to accept this, we will vent. Be it from crying, screaming, breaking things, but Sangmin did not do that. Instead, he hide behind a cruel mask and put up a strong front. He bullied others because he want others to feel as miserable as himself. Like the stepmother who bullied him because he's young and weak, an easy target.

"There's also no need for the MC to investigate what happens to his family further. Making the MC sympathize with him will only disregard the feelings of the victims."--while I partly agree with this statement, I had hoped more people will try to understand and learn why Sangmin turned out that way. Because this problem with toxic family are often written off as 'private life problems' where you're expected to solve it yourself.

"Why even bother with bad things that happened. Treating it as nightmare is the normal thing to do."--How is this normal? Can you even do this when you get mistreated every day? If so, doesn't it mean you're living in a nightmare?

When I was a child, my parents always taught me to 'help people in need', so where in the world this teaching should be applied? Are mentally ill people not on the list?

I do not claim we should forgive Sangmin because he has mental illness, like I said before in my past comments, Sangmin deserves to be punished/serve time when he starts to involve an innocent child.

I also didn't expect the MC or Haemi to become saints.

All I wanted was Sangmin to receive the medical treatment that had long-overdue. Along with the knowledge; what should we do if we encounter people with similar experiences? What is the solution besides sending him to jail? How the doctors will treat him or more specifically, treat a patient with schizophrenia? Not just about operating a patient under the knife. Because honestly, knowledge about how to treat mentally ill people will be more useful for common people like us irl.

16. eteru98

eteru98 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "You can say this because you've probably never been verbally/physically abused for years"

I get the point but this part is unnecessary. You're making it look like that it's a very normal thing to do for someone who had a rough life. I had a rough childhood and I had my fair of struggles but I never thought about making semeone suffer because of it. Of course, not everyone is the same but only a twisted guy would hurt semeone because of their bad experiences.

I admire your morals but have you ever been in the situation of MC and Haemi?
    Are you certain that you'll be able still help the guy who tried to kill you and innocent people?

You should think first from their situation and put yourself in their shoes before you actually dissed them. You can care for Sangmin all you want but stop hating other characters for not helping him when you haven't been in their situation either. It's easy to talk good but doing it when the time comes is a very hard thing to do.

I'm not here to argue to get on semeone's nerves but I only like to point out that what happened to Sangmin is neither the MC or Haemi's fault.

17. Rhythmic

Rhythmic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, eteru98, I do apologize for the harsh sentence. I should've been more considerate as it is true that these kind of experience will have different results depending on one's personality.

I'd also like to say that while I don't like MC and Haemi, who I don't like the most is the author, for giving the impression of 'medical manhwa but mental illness? Sorry, I dunno how to treat it'---and while I did consider to be in Haemi's shoes, I still dislike or even abhor her attitude of ignorance. The author portrayed their relationship as somewhat OK in the beginning of the story, where I assumed she knows about Sangmin's hardship and acted like a good sister (where she would at least stand up to her brother when he badmouth Sangmin). But the reality slapped me hard when she completely turned her back on him because of Bumsoo's murder. If their relationship was OK before, why didn't she even ask WHY before declaring revenge? Doesn't that mean she already know why and didn't do anything about it? No guilt whatsoever? While I understand she's also an abuse victim and has her own trauma, this act of hers really get on my nerves. Should I just say Haemi have more sibling affection for Bumsoo than Sangmin?

As for the MC, I can careless about him since he's stupid enough to want to poke his nose around Sangmin's problem (when he decided to stay in Daeil hospital because of Sangmin), despite knowing how powerful the Lee family is, he still decided to work there. Why not work at a different hospital where you can raise your position and status faster, easier, and safer? What did he achieve with his bullhead? More problems on Sangmin's side, making him more unhinged. He knows he will get suppressed but stays anyways. Only after much drama, the MC FINALLY goes overseas.

"You can care for Sangmin all you want but stop hating other characters for not helping him when you haven't been in their situation either. It's easy to talk good but doing it when the time comes is a very hard thing to do."--I didn't have the intention to say this but since you asked whether I have a ground or just talking empty talk... unfortunately, I have been in a similar situation where my grandma stepped up to help me (the first time, but no one helped me during the second and third time, despite it happening right in front of their eyes. And I'm not talking about a simple beating. My grandma was not there during the 2nd and 3rd because she died). I will not go into the details, but I think I have the right to dislike them for not stepping up.

As for whether I've encountered someone who wanted to kill me and help them? Yes and no. Yes, someone tried to kill me or at least has the intention to before stopping, but helping them? More like I'm too busy trying to forgive them + heated arguments here and there. Do I want to seek justice? Sue them? No, because I know what they've been through. Yes, I hold grudges but to the point I don't speak or not visit them when they're in hospital? No. No humans are born bad, it's the circumstances surrounding them that makes them who they are.

I guess I'm fortunate in some ways that the person I'm involved with only made an attempt against me and not other innocent lives. If that happened, I'll have no choice but to call the police.

But the sad fact is this happened because people lack the awareness of mental health issues and didn't have a clue how to treat it/deal with it. They just say 'get over it', or 'weak-minded', 'you're overreacting', or 'it's their family's issue, we cannot intervene'.

This manhwa have a great potential to introduce mental health cause-effect AND the treatment, but the author solved it with just throwing him in jail/mental hospital and no explanation whatsoever about the treatment, prevention, or medicine, despite being very detailed in treating patients with physical issues. This is the main reason why I'm utterly disappointed.

18. eteru98

eteru98 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would like to point out MC did stay at the hospital not just because he wanted to make Sangmin suffer but because it's one of the best hospital and it gives high salary. He later decided to have different goal when they did shit with the patients. Is being a good doctor means poking to Sangmin's situation? Are you just going to let those people run the hospital when they're killing patients for their purpose? Why would he stay quiet just for the sake of that kind of guy? You're basically saying he should just turn a blind eye to their actions.

As for Haemi, she wasn't that okay with him before. They're basically acting like just civil people in public but they never interact alone with each not even going out together with MC. She was always closer to Bumsoo. They were never close to begin with. Yes Haemi didn't tried to get closer but the same goes for Sangmin. He never tried either.

From what I see is you hate them just because they're not acting the same as you do. I am sorry for what happened to you but also take in mind that what MC and Haemi is nothing out of ordinary. What's wrong with wanting justice? What's wrong with cutting connections with semeone who's just going to remind you of your lover almost dying and brother being killed?

We have a different stance on this matter so I'll just end my reply here.

19. Rhythmic

Rhythmic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Note 'one of the best hospitals with the best salary', he doesn't have to work there but he still did it anyway. Remember, Haines offered 2.5 million but the MC still choose Daeil because they offered twice the usual intern salary (which I assume more since MC said 'if they offer more, why should I decline?'), which is stupid and shallow. He is already on bad terms with the dermatologist professor, getting suppressed, etc, but he still enter anyway because of money. This all happened before they tried anything funny with the patients mind you.

As for Haemi, "They're basically acting like just civil people in public but they never interact alone with each not even going out together with MC."---I beg to differ, in the manhwa (in the early chapters), the MC, Haemi, and Sangmin were drinking buddies. They went out regularly, drink, and laugh together. Haemi isn't that consistent to begin with. At chapter 27, she said 'I have no family, us three siblings came from different mothers', but at 29 Bumsoo suddenly became 'the only person in the family Haemi actually relies on'. So, how come she's closer to Bumsoo when he also had a different mother? She relies on a bully who call others 'filthy blood'? How funny.

But I can see that you like them very much and refuse to see their flaws.

And you missed the point. You didn't read all of my reply, did you? You didn't say anything about the author and the issue with giving us an impression 'medical manhwa but mental health? Sorry, I dunno how to treat it'. This manhwa have a great potential to introduce mental health cause-effect AND the treatment, but the author solved it with just throwing him in jail/mental hospital and no explanation whatsoever about the treatment, prevention, or medicine, despite being very detailed in treating patients with physical issues. This is the main reason why I'm utterly disappointed.

Overall, yes, I see that we have different stances and priorities. Let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  20. Mindeulle

Mindeulle New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it only me who think that what happend to sangmin is not a mental health? In my opinion, it is a punishment for him cause he choose to be a bad guy..(this is a fntasy novel though)
    Anyone remember when MC got a car accident and when he unconscious, the girl who gave him a second life also gave a curse to sangmin for what he do to MC and i remembered she said that its not the first time sangmin attempt murder, he has done it before.
    Because sangmin started to have a bad dream and halluciantions after that accident.
    Before that he just to choose easy way to get what he want.
    He choose to kill boemsoo cause he hate him and want his position.
    He choose to kill his dogs cause he angry about his father
    He choose to poisoned herbal tea for MC bcause he want to get the first position on exam.
    And i think he killed haemi's mother to (if you read manhwa, when in sangmin hallucination comes people who he killed and one of them is haemi's mother.

"he doesn't have to work there but he still did it anyway. Remember, Haines offered 2.5 million but the MC still choose Daeil because they offered twice the usual intern salary (which I assume more since MC said 'if they offer more, why should I decline?'), which is stupid and shallow. He is already on bad terms with the dermatologist professor, getting suppressed, etc, but he still enter anyway because of money. This all happened before they tried anything funny with the patients mind you."

And i dont agree when you said about this.
    Why he want money is because this is his choose to how he would live the second life of his and he didnt want to only be a good doctor with only patient in his mind like his first life.
    But later he will still become a great doctor who cares about his patient and i think thats the point the author want to show.
    At first he just want happy life with money and his parents, just want to be dermatologist and have common life without busy with his work as a doctor. but he still cant let patient in danger thats why he always got attention. He say he didnt want to back to operation room, he didnt want to show his skill but still he cant ignore patient.