Discussion Memory problems...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Chronos Bee, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    I have around 300 novels in my reading lists, and I'm actively reading around 10 of them at the same time. Whenever I catch up to the latest chapter, I switch them to another set of novels to let the chapters accumulate.

The problem is that sometimes I just leave it for several months to a year, and when I remember to check it I have no idea where I left off. Sometimes I dont even remember what the hell is going on anymore and have to check spoilers/summary to refresh my memory on it

Does anyone else have the same problem? If so how do you deal with it?

kfahad, Naruin and Via Oculta like this.
  2. Omniscient Viper

Omniscient Viper [Evil MC Enthusiast] [Park Jimin Biased]

Reading List:
    Link
    I make my own little wiki on notepads. I keep track of how many chapters are released, what chapter I left off on, and a bunch of other Info about characters, skills, weapons, etc. So you might wanna start doing that with new novels you pick up. (y)

3. mjmking

mjmking Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just see it as an opportunity to read the whole thing again :)

Mr.Tiemos and Via Oculta like this.
  4. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    oddly enough when something like that happens to me I just have to read the new chapter, like I will forget the name of a novel or not have any clue what it is about from the summary or title but when I read the latest chapter my mind just connects some dots I didn't know were there.

5. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    do you not use reading lists fully? they can save where you left reading

Traveling Chef likes this.
  6. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually have a weird ability to recall the general plot if I backtrack 2 or 3 chapters. Granted, it doesn't work if the author was getting poetic and vague ala Tales of Demons and God's but it works pretty well for the most part.

FourSeasons likes this.
  7. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sort of like you in that regard. I'll read the new chapter then remember how said character got there and what the story was. Not that I remember the genders of some of the characters due to the authors/translators He/She mix-ups.

Hegao and Traveling Chef like this.
  8. Japorea

Japorea Resident BL Enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    And that is one of the reasons why I hold off from reading a novel until it is already complete, so I could binge read it from start to finish.

Naruin and orematcha like this.
  9. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    i use opera in my phone. . . .
    and it already shows a ninja in it. .
    a freaking ninja as tab logo. .

10. FourSeasons

FourSeasons (..)(・.)(: )(¨)( :)(.・)(..)

Reading List:
    Link
    samedt.

i usually also read the synopsis. Or just seeing the cover of the book, i can remember the general plot, like the novels i dropped reading. If i was searching for new books to read then i came across those novels, see the cover and read the synopsis, i just skip them.

TamaSaga likes this.
  11. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    I have done that so many times I'm sick of it lmfao.
    Maybe I will after this. Thanks.
    I can generally do that to a certain extent but not knowing the exact chapter where I left off bothers me...

Traveling Chef likes this.
  12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I reaaaally liked the novel, I'll reread it. Otherwise, I'll power through the confusion until everything makes sense again. You'll notice that the novels around here tend to be on the opposite end of "complex". Even if you forget some backstory, names or whatever, you'll get back in the swing of things after ten or twenty chapters.

Naruin and TamaSaga like this.
  13. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, gender can be a bit bewildering when coming back after a long time, especially if the original terms were ambiguous and the translator wasn't sure what to pick at the time.
    I can also be mixed up if a novel has too many similar names, but that can happen to me even if I just read the thing~

and like @sgrey mentioned, the reading list function on NU helps me A LOT. at the very least it will help me remember what chapter I left off, even if I don't immediately recognize the story when I pick it up after a long while.

14. Naruin

Naruin [Dada's New Employee][ex-NAH owner]

Reading List:
    Link
    if the bookmarkings in readlist doesn't or will not work like for example those novel from *cough* somewhere, try using the tag function in readlist too.. put some tags there that will help you remember where u stopped..

15. Raphenox

Raphenox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can create a reading list here on novel updates and keep tabs on where you stopped. Generating the list of novels you read could be time consuming, but once its set up, then it takes less than a minute to update where you are. Here is a link that explains how to do this:
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/reading-list-tutorial.3120/

I've organized multiple reading lists such as:current reads, on-hold reads, novels with stopped translations, and potentially new novels. Just be consistent with your updates and don't be lazy to update your current chapter when your ready to move on, and you will be fine.

16. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
    I have the exact same problem. I can't even remember who is who from the names, so I have to fandom wiki it all if it's something I really liked, otherwise I just jump straight into that abyss... I also write a small summary if I know the author or translator is going on hiatus or keep track of characters by their names and characteristics.

17. SummerForest

SummerForest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I'm too confused I reread it. But I'm not reading many at a time, so it's manageable.

18. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I forget things but i always have general idea whats going on in novels that i have read or which chapter i put hold on tho i really don't remember the chapter num.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.