Merging Yaoi + Shounen Ai and Yuri + Shoujo Ai into BL and GL

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by LaDyViL, Feb 6, 2018.

?

Merge the genre into BL/GL?

1. Agree

192 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. Disagree

141 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. cenjion

cenjion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would it be possible for the other tags to still exist, but be crosslinked to bl/gl? I disagree that particulars of these fluid terms equal smut, so that should be declared separately through the relevant tags already provide as previously mentioned.

Perhaps users such as those given in examples might learn the meanings of a term if they were crosslinked in that way?

I personally am not interested in bl smut, but would hate to miss out on good reading simply because someone's idea of erotica was overly prudish and miscatagorized bi or homosexual romance as such, or a story simply included characters of any particular nature.

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    What are those particulars that aren't included in BL + Adult or just BL?

3. WagKalimutan

WagKalimutan Mpreg Lover, Married To Yaoi

Reading List:
    Link
    Disagree. I will be disappointed if I'm expecting yaoi but Yuri appeared. :sick:

4. ayyshadow

ayyshadow Eternal Lurker || Lover of Anything Fluffy

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you are misunderstanding something. The thread isn't asking opinion on merging Yaoi and Yuri, but to merge:
    Yaoi+Shounen Ai into BL (Boys Love); and
    Yuri+Shoujo Ai into GL (Girls Love)

5. WagKalimutan

WagKalimutan Mpreg Lover, Married To Yaoi

Reading List:
    Link
    Oops. My bad.. Well I agree then..

6. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, if only we could...

7. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Voted yes mainly because the differentiation between them can be handled by other tags that quite honestly should be used anyway.
    Boy's/Girl's Love is also a lot more self-explanatory for people that isn't used to slang common among the manga-reading community, and it quite often seem strange to see japanese terms used for chinese or korean stories.

felinoir and orematcha like this.
  8. LadyAmara

LadyAmara Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've not read all the responses, but I think it's imperative to realize the NC17 or R ratings are legally important as it pertains to laws in certain jurisdictions. In the eyes of the law there is no such thing as a "mild sex scene". I've already gathered that these laws are less stringent outside of the USA.

Personally I'm and omnivore when it comes to consumption of BL, but from reading many comments under novels or mangas it seems that people feel very strongly about which subsets they read. This is also another reason that it is important to add further labels outside of BL.

9. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To the bolded, not in the US. In the US, the only state with any laws regarding film ratings is Tennessee, and the law is only that you can't sell tickets to an R-rated movie to someone under 18 without a parent or guardian present. There are no laws requiring that movies be rated, no laws about what content deserves what rating, no laws (outside of Tennessee) about who can see what movies. Everything is voluntary, filmmakers voluntarily have their films rated, theaters and stores voluntarily agree to use the ratings and restrict ticket/movie sales by age. And there very much is such thing as a "mild sex scene" to the MPAA; you could have sex scenes that only warrant PG-13, or sex scenes that are explicit enough to guarantee an NC-17 rating.

To the main point, even if we merge yaoi and shounen ai into BL, we still have further labels to give more details like "adult", "mature", "smut", "ecchi", and so on.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    felinoir, saekicchi, Ai chan and 2 others like this.
  10. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And tags of course. We have an assortment of tags that could be used to further describe the story or serve as a warning. Some of them are R-15, R-18, threesome, anal, fellatio, gore, sex slaves, toys, cannibalism, paizuri, Stockholm Syndrome, psychopaths, rape, rape victim becomes lover, reverse rape, dark etc

Have a look at our list of existing tags: https://www.novelupdates.com/list_tags.php

11. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with the tag merging, as long as people tag smut and hardcore to bl manga correctly. I need dem cute ass action.

felinoir, saekicchi, Blitz and 2 others like this.
  12. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    hehe...smut none yaoi action is...ahem, quite satisfying

13. Boricua Lunar

Boricua Lunar The Jaded Wangfei Inquisitive Polymath

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the info.

Well, I guess it depends on what you consider to be a successful NUF database. imo, a successful database is one that collects and holds all the information that you target on accumulating AND be easy for an end user to withdraw the information from it.

Considering the type of people that access the NUF, you would want the information to be easily accessible by people that want information at their fingertips. A database that expects it's users to know concepts in order to operate it would not be as successful imo.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  14. Zones

Zones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is like saying r15 and r18 should be made into a "sexual content" tag.

There is a world of difference between implied sexual content or just dating with no sexual content and explicit sexual content. I don't see why that difference should be removed as it is quite important.

15. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with the r-15 and r-18 tags as an example is those apply only to japanese novels whereas a sexual content tag would apply to chinese and korean novels as well.
    And merging tags do not remove the difference if there is other tags used in combination, if a novel is tagged as yaoi then chance is quite high that it is tagged smut or adult as well, or at least would be if people bothered to tag properly.

felinoir and AliceShiki like this.
  16. cenjion

cenjion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are going to require adherence to local laws those tags will necissarily have to be separate to ensure compliance. Additionally, simply using a term like bl/gl does not directly denote an r15, r18 or sexual content rating and should not be considered a legitimate analog, however much some readers might dislike a particular type of content.

As many have noted tags are often very subjectively added, so tags with legal implications should probably be sourced from the content if possible, and should be reviewed to ensure applicibility.

Is there any way for the system to track attempts to tag and perhaps rate a consensus for tags applied? Mods would then be able to add known and sourced tags while readers would build mutual concensus while reading a series.

I previously stated that I don't want to miss good material, and I think that applies to most readers, 鯛も一人はうまからず, ね?

17. Minnie_An

Minnie_An Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i like yaoi & shounen ai :D

18. Data

Data Assuming Direct Control

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with this.

I generally know boys love as yaoi more so than shounen ai.

It might be better to just call it BL to translate it so that its more universal.

felinoir likes this.
  19. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    Merging boys love, yaoi and shonen ai into the gay tag:blobjoy:

20. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow someone necroed this old thread....
    Actually someone is going on a like spree so that’s why it showed up on the recent posts...