Message from Reverend Insanity's author

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SamStrike, Mar 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamStrike

SamStrike Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Translated by Sky Farrow, document:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kLVVo-hNSu7y1S-8jdDTt-5W5g1wGtMr4IsaZWa_KIY/edit

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very Important Prelude:

Good day, everyone. I’m the fresh new author Gu Zhen Ren, and I just entered the world of webnovels; this is going to be the first book that I’m writing.

Hahaha I’m kidding.

Back to business - I always think that a book’s introduction is considerably important. After all, when you pick up a book you’d read the prelude first, since the prelude is what tells us what the book is about.

In this introductory piece: First of all, I’ll be answering a few questions about <<Gu Zhen Ren>> (Reverend Insanity); next, I will speak about some of the important points about <<无限血核/Wu Xian Xue Ke>> (Unlimited Bloodstone).

About <<Gu Zhen Ren>> the novel --

Many brothers and sisters, friends and readers are all rather worried.

When this book was affected by the ban, until today I would receive many messages everyday, asking me about the situation of the novel and when would it begin updating again.

The situation of the novel at the moment is: still in ban phase as ever, yet it doesn’t mean that all hopes of lifting the ban is gone! This book has been the tireless efforts of 6-7 years of my sweat and tears. Anyone else is welcome to give up, but I will not.

The reality is indeed that right now, it cannot be updated!

The biggest reason is the current environment of the webnovel community.

There are no extrinsic conditions that enable me to update new chapters. On one hand is the state policy (I believe it will be adjusted better in future), and on the other hand is the end of contract with the webnovel site; thirdly, the reports from a certain group of readers and people of the same profession.

In this world, I am the person who wishes to see the completion of the novel <<Gu Zhen Ren>> the most.

During the period of <<Gu Zhen Ren>> getting banned, I went through the biggest crisis of my writing career. I then faced depression, and even almost had to say goodbye to my author occupation.

The course of events was full of pain and suffering, and everyday I went through torment.

Just like this, day by day, month by month, I slowly managed through it.

On the outside it was calm and quiet, while inside my heart waves surged like a roaring sea; in a world without justice, I walked between sheer cliffs and precipitous rocks. I could not see the light, and I could not see the road.

No one else could help me but myself.

Right now, I can once again face everyone with a smile.

Maybe it was Fang Yuan’s spirit that was supporting me -- perseverance, silence, hard work. I can be beaten over and over again, but I must never be defeated for good.

In the period of time there was caring, hope, and much doubt, but also much anger. (Note: Probably referring to the fans)

I wanted to open my mouth and answer, but I could not.

I locked myself away for a time, lacking the strength and heart to reply to all of it.

I was like a lonely boat, drifting about in the surging waves over a vast body of water under the night.

I relied on the slow trickle of time, managing bit by bit.

Slowly I gathered something from my torment and suffering; I summarised my past experiences and I was constantly in deep thought.

Finally I have returned with my answer -- the new book of 2020 -- <<Wu Xian Xue He>>.

I spent around 2 months constructing the structure of the new book’s main story. Speaking just about the framework of it, I’d say this book is even more outstanding than <<Gu Zhen Ren>>.

I even spent a lot of effort to construct a naming system for the fantasy characters in the book. I think that English translated names are easy to make people confused and would be hard to remember. At least that’s what happens to me. However, chinese names on the other hand are subject to different tastes, so this time I did a little new innovation. Basically, the character names in the new book all contain some meaning.

Let’s introduce the new book in more detail!

Firstly, on the name <<无限血核/Wu Xian Xue He>>, it’s in fact not of the 无限流 (infinity style?) genre. I’m very satisfied with the novel’s name, for I had given it much thought before finally settling on it. It fits very well towards the novel’s main theme. You’ll understand when you read it.

Secondly, the novel leans more towards slowburn, sort of like 群像剧 group image? style, arena style. Every person has their own demands and stories. The main character could also fail.

Thirdly, the updates will be slower. This novel is quite different from most novels, as quality will be the main focus over quantity here. Since the composition is too precise, there could even be adjustment periods. During these periods, new chapter updates might stop, as I will go through the editing process. Basically every now and then for this novel, I will be returning to previous chapters to do repair/editing. I might add new plotlines in previous chapters, or might even change a character’s narrations/actions. I will give a heads up on every change I make.

Fourth point, for this new novel, please do not leak spoilers!

No leaking spoilers!

No leaking spoilers!

No leaking spoilers!

Important things must be repeated three times.

Finally, if everyone is satisfied from reading, please do vote.

<<Gu Zhen Ren>> cannot do without the support of you all, and the new book <<Wu Xian Xue He>> needs your help even more.

One will need even more patience when reading <<Wu Xian Xue He>>, for you will find new surprises with every read. Every character will have their own unique interesting, brilliant features -- they will be like dazzling fireworks, brightening up the black night.

I believe that nothing more beautiful can be imagined than this scenery!

Hah.

Gentlemen, right now let us open the path towards this beautiful journey.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  2. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    f*ck
    this is more of a crisis than corona

3. ediav42

ediav42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well at least there is hope it will be finished one day

Alixiron and Astaroth like this.
  4. phucanhcr02

phucanhcr02 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt that the new book could be better than Reverend Insanity.
    Hell!!!!! I doubt any web novel can be better than Reverend Insanity.

5. bored nobody

bored nobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Let this man write as an outlet or else you'll have a serial killer on your hands China! :blobfearful: Hide yo bears and women

7. hammer

hammer "Qidian Master Race"

Reading List:
    Link
    So why this novel get banned?

8. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm actually looking forward to his new book. It's quite apparent from Reverend Insanity that he puts a lot of thinking on his plotlines. I'm really interested what 7 years of writing Reverend Insanity will do to his new book.

9. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    So the previous book was dropped and he wrote a new book?

10. Exterial

Exterial @pocketbear ,much oneesama, very friendly, kawaii.

Reading List:
    Link
    does china not have a patreon of sorts? or is the censorship so bad hes not allowed to post his work anywhere, and not just on the site.
    also, anyone know why he got banned?

11. Shaiyamine

Shaiyamine Reader of Novels, Slave to the Screen

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think so it said that due to some factors he is unable to update it not that he is dropping the book.
    The new book is more of a crystalization of the experience he went through.

12. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel sorry for him and all the authors who had been affected by the ordeal. It must be so crushing to devote years of your life on something, only to have it destroyed.

I don't understand why China feels the need to ban harmless fantasy webnovels on the Internet. It would be one thing for the CCP to censor political journalism criticizing their government... but fictional stories about magical swordfights?

All they're doing is stirring up resentment and discontent.

It annoys me when old-ass people who don't even use the Internet get to decide on laws concerning technology they don't understand shit about.

And it's not just China.

It happens in the US and Europe as well, when our old politicians get bribed by greedy corporations. And so they want to get rid of things like net neutrality. And go crazy with DMCAs, wanting to shut down entire websites which provide invaluable services to millions of people.

The only difference is if Westerners bitch enough, their corrupt politicians will cave in due to popular demands because they want to keep their office.

Chinese people aren't allowed to do the same. And it sucks. I suppose they'll have to wait for the old geezers in power to die off, and hopefully the new generation of young people in government won't be as uptight.

13. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    So it’s Hiatus I guess?
    yes finding CN authors who actually put thought into their works is hard to find.

14. Magnus183

Magnus183 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wtf happen to the novel to get it banned?

15. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    So I just read the first chapter.
    I gotta say, it sure feels like the author is trying out new things. It definitely feels a lot different from Reverend Insanity. To be completely honest, it felt a bit too long-winded and uninteresting. It's just a random girl we have no reason to care about trying to fend off a wolf while protecting a sleeping boy who's probably the MC. The description felt a bit too dramatic and there wasn't really solid ground to stand on while reading the chapter. You just pick up along the way that the girl is fending off a wolf, and the girl is fending off a wolf, and... the girl is still still fending off a wolf. I don't know why it took that long to describe it when it could've been a lot more shorter. I still don't care about who this girl is and this is the first, most important chapter to get readers. And by the end of it, just as she was about to die, the boy wakes up and saves her, wow who could've seen that coming. Maybe he'll start showing his superpowers to kill the wolf next chapter? I don't know, it could go anywhere from here! Well sarcasm aside, it's actually amazing how easy it is to imagine this chapter being adapted into a manhwa. And I don't know if that's a good thing, webnovels should feel like webnovels more. Not that the author didn't try, I mean....
    those lines are just :blobconfused:. It's quite off-putting how cliche and uninteresting this first chapter felt like. It established a lot of useless things I have no reason to care about while hardly having anything happen in it.

16. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guess one could say the novel has been Royal Guarded.

17. isengoethe

isengoethe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because of the Tiananmen_Square_protests, among others, China makes a yearly book banning spree where literature/writing that do not conform to China's ideology get banned.

Reverend Insanity (RI) were among the books that got reviewed to be banned which forced Qidian to take the book down and stop updates. It wasn't outright banned. More like this is not bannable but since it has some iffy subjects we will withhold judgement to keep it in limbo.

This new book will definitely be way different than RI. Keep in mind that this book came about from the author's experiences during RI ban. Just read his message. Don't lose hope even when you're under torment and suffering, you might get a miracle.

What I want to not disappear is thinking characters. Not just the MC but also the supporting characters and most importantly are the villains. It's what made me love RI.

Wanted: Translator for Unlimited Bloodstone

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  18. Rakiin

Rakiin Pokemon Slave Trader

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you guys trolls?
    Its banned, not sure why.

19. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll definitely be trying the new novel out at some point, but I don't see how it could beat Daoist Gu (reverend insanity). If the author was allowed to properly write again Daoist Gu wouldn't be banned and he'd already gone back to continuing it...

So it's pretty obvious that there's at the very least going to be some restraints in place. I'm not saying that he couldn't make a good novel despite having restrictions placed upon him, but realistically wouldn't the author just end up writing the usual generic trash out of fear of getting the new novel banned again?...

Scholar of Eclipse and GDLiZy like this.
  20. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i bet it's the censorship or the publishers that force him to make the usual trashy stereotype mc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.