Resource Microsoft says its AI can translate Chinese as well as a human

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Faw, Mar 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    O.O
    o_O
    >_>
    シ_ _)シ

readerz likes this.
  2. Nigata

Nigata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's 'welcome'
    try checking http://www.dictionary.com/browse/welcome :blob_grin:

3. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Nigata

Nigata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I need to read less LN using MTL too, even I had to fix my grammar

5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Which is why it's not infrequent to have that "specialized training" stuff (for neural MT ones) or simply choosing a domain that vastly improve the translations. Of course, "webnovels" isn't big enough to make the cut, at least not from the ones I've checked.

But it's really obvious when you use for example Systranet, so many techniques and stuff are translated as medical conditions and there's tons of strange scientific terms. I recently found out that a lot of these MT like Systranet are projects 50+ years old, and apparently systranet's #1 funder or w/e has been the US military to translate official documents and stuff, so it's no surprise that the terms can be weird...

Also, MTs tend to mess up with names. But this is easy enough to fix for each individual novel.

My personal opinion is that the technology is there, but webnovels aren't exactly a priority (for obvious reasons)

6. JLIX19

JLIX19 『Harem Sect Elder』

Reading List:
    Link
    I just want to say LNMTL is not a mtlor but a website. LNMTL use systran.

Astaroth likes this.
  7. JLIX19

JLIX19 『Harem Sect Elder』

Reading List:
    Link
    what's the difference between google translate (mtl) and mtl?

8. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome is correct here.

9. enkay

enkay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    SAVAGE!!!

10. twkisanotaku

twkisanotaku Booksloth

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried it out...didn't even work for me. Just says there is a problem with the servers after loading a long ass time

11. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Most non-chinese don't understand chinese. Most chinese have difficulties understanding non-chinese languages. In both cases, it's the same.

12. etvolare

etvolare Celestial Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried the pre-loaded sentence from a news article it had in there, and it certainly did that very well. I tucked in a very simple bit of dialogue from my novel next. After having the service be unavailable on the first try, it gave me this on the second:

Hey Tu! "Two Aunt Confucian pulled Qin Yining's hands carefully terminal A, gee way:" Really is a water amoy out of jade people, said we public mansion your seven cousin born Peugeot, so a ratio is not on the go!

OR

"Ouch!" the second aunt KongShi took Qin YiNing's hands carefully measured some, Gee way: " If really is a water out of the jade, said our mansion of your seven cousin born of the Peugeot, so a than can not be compared to go down!

Which... which is better? @@

I feel that machines will always have a hard time with several concepts, be it emotions -- such as a stirring speech before battle, the frenzied action of a fight, a heartfelt confession of laugh, or a hilarious prank; or careful diction choices to indicate sarcasm and/or wit; creating new names ie. wuxia techniques/treasure names (having all of them literally translated can be incredibly cringe worthy); amongst others.

13. mudslap

mudslap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://blogs.microsoft.com/ai/machine-translation-news-test-set-human-parity/

tldr; Microsoft believes they have made the first system which could translate Chinese News Articles (Newspapers usually have more difficult words compared to Web Novels) to English with the same quality and accuracy of a professional translator. (Such exaggeration!)

Apparently, it is not some sort of program that searches words in a dictionary before merging the results together. Rather, it's more of a self-learning AI. One of its learning methods is that once it translates a sentence, it translates it back into its database and analyses how much it has held its meaning within a sentence while improving its own databank.

Of course, this may not seem much since the translated materials were only done in Chinese to English (No mention of Japanese or Korea yet); which even the team has stated: "No one knows whether machine translation systems will ever get good enough to translate any text in any language pair with the accuracy and lyricism of a human translator.". But, even so, this is still a great achievement since their test results matched that of professional translators. (Seems that it has been evaluated and proven :/)

Now the team is feeding their system with wider contents, not just news articles. And the good news is that it can work between any two languages since it's a self-learning AI.

If anyone knows Chinese, you can test the translation here: https://translator.microsoft.com/neural/

PS: I know Chinese, rather I speak it. But English is my primary language and my Chinese suck. Anyone mind checking it in my place to see whether it true or is it simply bullsh!t?

Manor likes this.
  14. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    this is the third time someone post this i think

justmehere, gauthamc and Eques like this.
  15. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe Microsoft will write software that can actually read existing topics before creating new ones.

justmehere, gauthamc and Astaroth like this.
  16. Ryve16

Ryve16 Working Hard and Hardly Working

Reading List:
    Link
    So they made baby skynet

17. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm Chinese really? What about simpler languages... it doesn't make sense to go for the most complicated one first.

18. Kuronairo

Kuronairo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    but it's the most spoken language in the world.

19. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    no no no, baby skynet is currently being made by Elon Musk,
    just recently his AI defeated top Dota2 player

20. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe, but teritorially no. English-Spanish would make more sense as the first one.