Mobile Games

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Silver Snake, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    I think a good game requires either a sense of challenge or progression. Dark souls has challenge with memorizing attack patterns and timing parries. Stardew Valley has progression with designing your own farm and assimilating yourself with the townsfolk.

Puzzle, racing, running, fps, idle, roguelike, survival, mmorp games don't have enough challenge or progression or depth.

I like action, strategy and sim games. Games like FGO and Honkai are gacha games with good combat systems. But what makes their combat system's good? Surely, games like fire emblem and bloodborne have better combat, so why even bother with these?

Mobile games have to have more simplified controls because of the touchscreen. It's one of the reasons why the mobile marketplace is littered with idle or automatic games. And I think there's a scale of complexity for mobile, regarding the controls. If the controls or systems in the game are too complicated, then the game becomes uncomfortable to play, but if they're too simple, then it doesn't become engaging.

FGO and Honkai meet a perfect middle ground for me. In FGO, the card system where you order them to get you what you need most in the moment feels so easy, and the randomness in what cards you get makes a triple feel that much more satisfying. In Honkai, the slow motion of perfect dodges and addition of combos gives the player the chance to show off their skill and timing.

And I know a lot of gacha games have terrible progression, but that's an issue for another time.

2 other good action games are Grimvalor and Onmyoji Arena. Grimvalor giving off 2D dark souls vibes and Onmyoji scratching the moba itch. Of course there's no down or up in Grimvalor, since there's no tactile feel on a touchscreen, so it would be much more efficient and satisfying in feel to only have a left and right on the left side of the screen. But the double jump and dash on the right side of the screen gives you the lacking mobility and freedom. The controls are simple and complex enough where you feel you have full control in combat and platforming. And like in Honkai, the slow motion dodge success feels fantastic.

And Onymyoji doesn't have precise targeting like in LOL or DOTA. (Or perhaps it does. I'm actually not sure.) It has automatic targeting of either the lowest health or closest enemy. But there's also the extra option of targeting solely champions or towers, which is basically all you need in a MOBA.

And I've played my fair share of CCGs, and right now, Mythgard is pretty fun. What I like about MTGA is how much gold you get each day/ the frequency with which you can get new cards. But playing on a phone is so much more convenient, and I'm hoping Mythgard will be just as generous with cards.

Lastly, here are some sim games that I've heard are good but haven't really played yet: Beat Cop, Minecraft, Pokemon GO, and Star Traders. I'm sure you've all already heard of Minecraft and Pokemon Go, so I won't waste your time with explaining them. But Beat Cop is an adventure games set in 80s new york where you play as a detective. And Star Traders is a sci-fi space game where you can command a crew as a pirate, merchant, or bounty hunter. Both the game's concepts sounded pretty cool to me.

Last lastly, here are some games you have to buy to play that I've heard are good, but I'm too cheap/broke to buy them just yet: To the Moon, Wayward Souls, WitchSpring4, Lock's Quest, This is the Police 2, Beholder 2, Escapists 2, Swords of Ditto, Raiders of the North Sea, Cultist Simulator, 80 Days, Stardew Valley, and Castlevania. A fair amount of these games are card, board, action, or sim games. And I think those are just the games that play best on mobile so far.

And I guess I've said all of this wondering if anyone else knows of similar or similarly good mobile games. I know there were other threads that asked the same question of good mobile games, but perhaps this one will have a bit more perspective. Fuck, I just realized I made another thread about favorite mobile games a couple years back. New games must have released in the past two years, right? And that old thread didn't have nearly enough detail/perspective anyway.

Other games I've heard are good but haven't played: Oddmar (platformer), Xenowerk (top down horror shooter), Card Thief (Stealth card game).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    MasterCuddler and SquirFail like this.
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Onmyoji Arena for my Moba.

Sudoku for... Sudoku.

Chess Rush for something to play while I wait for TFT (I've stopped playing OA Chess a few months ago for sth else).

Honkai Impact 3 (I love my hack and slash, and the next 3.8 update, Post Honkai Odyssey happens to introduce some Devil May Cry elements into it.)

And a bunch of random simple games such as Void Tyrant and those tapping games like Animal Restaurant, which I long stopped playing.

Silver Snake likes this.
  3. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Plague Inc.
    Lapse 1 & 2
    Reigns/Reigns: Her Majesty
    This War of Mine
    And most RayArk games

No matter what platform, i'm a sucker for story based and rhythm based games. Never was a fan of Gacha games, heavily RNG-based games, or games with a lot of microtransaction.

Silver Snake likes this.
  4. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only mobile games I play are Chess/Sudoku/Shogi Wars.

anything else doesn’t catch my eye since they are mainly a lot of pay to play and such.

Silver Snake likes this.
  5. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk why but now BR and MOBA games like PUBG Mobile or Mobile Legends and stuff are boring to me cuz maybe I'd been playing too much of it (?), So I'd only play PC games nowadays. The only mobile games that I'd play is only Minesweeper lol

Silver Snake likes this.
  6. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    If reading novels tells you anything, a good game requires hidden rewards that will be awarded only to the first person that meets the conditions.

Silver Snake likes this.
  7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Raid Shadow Legends, it challenges your wallet.

8. meowzor

meowzor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Best mobile game is Pokemon Go it make get up off the couch and walk. The real challenge the sun.

Araenn, kenar, Harry and 1 other person like this.
  9. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just downloaded Arknights a few weeks ago and I'm aware that I'm falling into a downward spiral of gacha hell. The moment I spend even a dollar in this will the dam burst and will be the moment I descend into madness

Silver Snake likes this.
  10. Nami Heartfilia

Nami Heartfilia Zhongli is my true love and husband

Reading List:
    Link
    Onmyoji Arena.... You play it?! Shocking! Yes, I agree. OA is a good moba mwahahaha.... No overpowered shikigamis... It depends on how you use them.... Haist. Reminds me i got to grind for the new mage~

Silver Snake likes this.
  11. sherry90

sherry90 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    7 deadly sins grand cross is a very f2p friendly and fun too with good graphic.