(Monthly) Short Story Writing Prompts Submission Thread

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AliceShiki, Oct 22, 2016.

?

June's Topic!

Poll closed May 21, 2018.
  1. Fictogemino

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. The Hero Proposed to me, but I'm the Demon King (or queen!)

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Lights Out

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sinners

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Continue A Story (Feel free to choose any of the 3)

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Naraku

Naraku 『』『』『』

Reading List:
    Link
    January's Submission
    Genre :
    *shrugs because doesn't know*
    Word Count: A bit more than 1,2K words.
    Title: A Last Dream
    As my I wandered in the streets, exhausted, I decided to go back to the club since right now, I just wanted to relax a bit, to be honest, I was just tired because of lacking sleep, but well, I prefer to find something else as an excuse.
    When thinking that, I entered in the room and didn’t notice the step as I tripped and literally slapped my face against the cold floor, as I was cursing nonsensically.

“Son of a bi-!”

Unfortunately, I couldn’t finish my sentence as I felt pain on my face… and at the same time, I heard a laugh coming from inside the room, her voice was as warm yet mocking as ever, how bothering.

“Yo~ why do you seem so down ?” And her shitty puns already began, look like, I will just have to play along as always. “Heh, I just fell for you as usual.” I playfully pulled out my tongue as I tried to stood up, of course, I had to sidestep to avoid the backpack she will throw soon… Ah, next to my feet I found a brick, that was more violent than usual !
    “Huh, you don’t seem to be lovestruck.”After saying this, she giggled as I replied on a sarcastic tone. “What a heartache !”

After a while, both of us laughed and mocked each other, that was just ridiculous and pathetic, still we chuckled, at least, it avoided me to be in an embarrassing situation of tripping over nothing.
    Ahaha, I feel much more at ease here than somewhere else, there is only her, my brother or maybe my future sister-in-law.
    Well, today, there is only her and me, that’s just perfect, as I sat beside her, I felt something piercing my ass, that was… a thumbtack, this little…
    Inhaling deeply, I pinched her nose and head-butted her violently and mercilessly, despite her looks which are average and this eyepatch because she is blind of one eye, she is far from being “average”, mentally talking… She is violent, sarcastic, bloody and… oh well, also sweet. I don’t want to admit it but she is quite soft sometimes.

Anyway… as always, we had nothing to say but be with each other was enough, just enough. Talking all day was tiring so I need to rest like everyone, and she needs to rest like everyone… so like this it’s perfect even if my shoulder will get muscle’s aches because she is using me as a pillow...
    Heh, I remember she made a suplex to me because I wasn’t comfortable enough then I threw the table at her, that was quite hilarious at that time.

“You can be cute.” I whispered as I looked at her sleepy face, ahah.
    “Tch, can’t you be silent ?” Even if she said that, she looked away, as lovely as always, I couldn’t help but caress her cheek as my smile deepened… she looked at me and snickered, frankly mocking me, however she only stayed silent and booped my nose… a shame that the moment she saw my gaze softening, she pinched it, trying to hide what she did through violence.

“Heh, that was quite weak.” Provoking her, I tried to see what kind of tricks she will use to hide her embarrassment, which one will it be this ?
    “Oh ~? Provoking me are we ?” Huh ? It was different from usual, it’s simple, she wasn’t riposting physically, she was… only talk-

As I felt something soft and sweet touching my lips, I felt startled by why ? I…

“So, was it strong enough, honey ?” Holy… I wanted to laugh, yet I couldn’t, unlike usual, her smile wasn’t teasing as usual, it was even an awkward one, she seemed to be… completely honest… damn, I admit it… she got me…
    “I…” I didn’t know what to say as her arms entwined my neck, she just hugged me, not a violent one where she is trying to strangely and me to suffocate her, no no no… an affective one…

So, we are feeling the same ?
    I don’t need to hide it, right ?
    It’s not some embarrassing prank, right ?
    I… don’t care.

Hell if I am wrong or not, I will just do it and be sincere with her and myself.
    After seeing her eyes suddenly innocent, I realized that it wasn’t joke as my lips posed on her, unexpectedly, her body trembled and retracted itself while I decided to go further in our acts, our tongues intertwined during a few seconds until she pushed me, she stared at my eyes and giggled, as she hugged my body tighter and tighter, this was warm…

“You are so foolish.. damn…heh, yet sweet, this is why I…”
    “…love you, right ?”
    We blushed but still stared at each other, that was one of the most honest moment we had together, often, we are just joking pointlessly but not this time… nevertheless, our playfulness won’t stop right now, just because we were entwining like this, the opportunity was just too tempting… and she took it first.
    I felt her teeth biting wildly my neck as my hands passed under her clothes... then I heard a loud noise.

BA-AM !

_____​

Opening my eyes, I could only see red, there was no color… not at all, there was nothing here… where am I ? I had trouble remembering until I saw where I was… no…
    T-This is… ah… damned lucid dreams… I-I hate those…
    I…

That’s… awful… I… am sorry, I-I am just sorry…
    My eyes couldn’t help but try to avoid to see this stone, this name that was engraved to it, of this person I loved, if only… we weren’t so “playful”… stupid…
    It has been four years… yet I-I can’t live… why… why can’t I simply find peace…? Why do I feel so guilty each time I see your cold body ? Why did we play like fool ? Why did we waste so much our… life…?

I remember my brother’s gaze who was filled with disgust… I… don’t care.
    I remember my father’s smile who was filled with disdain… I just don’t care…
    I remember my mother’s eyes who were filled with disappointment… I… hate all of them…

Except you… this smile was still playful until the end… yes… until the very end, so should I.
    Right, this is what I need… heh, if this world is disappointing… all I need to do is…
    Remember ?
    Our humor was just too grave… it’s just tomb much… am I not digging myself ?

“Ahaha… that was terrible.. you always to make people laugh… guess you changed… so did I…” My voice became quiet as I decided to give my last words, while trying to laugh, forcing myself… after all, she went to another whole world.. I continued to think about shitty puns... this is all we did together after all...
    “We always lived our life... to the fullest, guess... it’s death’s turn, eh ?” Those were my last words as I felt death breath approaching me, all I thought that I should have get down to earth a long time ago, my life has been worthless without you, this something that has been delayed by four years.

Then I shall fall for you… and join you…
    Side note : Huh... I tried writing differently from usual... it felt really weird using "I" that much... a bit too disturbing... specially on this subject I also never wrote about.
    Also, I never tried writing something like this, so it might be weird...
    I tried to make some puns at the same time *coughs violently*
    That was... *has no words after seeing how ridiculous it is and dies loudly*
    :blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood:

AliceShiki likes this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooooh, it was pretty interesting, their sweetness was really lovely~

I think you did pretty well! I like trying new stuff on those prompts, so it's nice to see more people coming and trying different styles too! \(^^)/

Naraku likes this.
  3. Naraku

Naraku 『』『』『』

Reading List:
    Link
    *randomly grumbles about like limit expansion*
    Well, I always had trouble writing sweetness (except when it's about fluffiness I guess...?)~ so it's nice to see that it worked~

Thank you, honestly I wasn't sure about either it was awful or just average xD
    I think I will try writing differently here~ because well, it's short stories, so it's easier to change ^^

AliceShiki likes this.
  4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly think their interactions was the best part! The part after he woke up didn't feel very involving to me...

Teehee, I had the same idea! \(^^)/

Naraku likes this.
  5. Naraku

Naraku 『』『』『』

Reading List:
    Link
    *whistles because he didn't know how to make it a fake happiness since he wrote on impulse without really planning about how to make the fake happiness*
    :blobhighfive:

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally get the feeling! I had no idea on what I would do when I tackled this prompt! >.<

I ended up with a weird story, but I liked it anyway~

Naraku likes this.
  7. Naraku

Naraku 『』『』『』

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Personally, I began writing and when I thought I finished, I noticed that well... something was missing... the fake happiness xDDDDD
    *reads your story*
    Wow~ that was quite nice~ I loved how everyone cared for her but in the end she still did it~

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if I passed the right image though... I tried making the change visible with the spacing...

She is seeing ghosts (she may or may not be crazy)... Like, the coworker and the friend are alive, everyone else is dead. It's why she is only touched by those two until the end...

It's hard to try and depict a schizophrenic character! >.<

Naraku likes this.
  9. Naraku

Naraku 『』『』『』

Reading List:
    Link
    I can agree that it's difficult, I mean, how can you make someone act more than four different persons at the "same time" without being disturbed... I mean, except in series who probably exagerated the mental disorder, I honestly don't know how a schizophrenic person react or act...

AliceShiki likes this.
  10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I think visual medias have it a lot easier, since they can create strange sounds and the like.

On writing, it's kinda hard to depict a mad character, because the character can't look mad on their own Point of View... You need to make the reader realize it without the character showing any signs of madness... Because well, for the character, they aren't mad.

It's hard! >.<

Naraku likes this.
  11. Action

Action Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    NightAir, Naraku and AliceShiki like this.
  12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome back Action-chan!!! *glomps*

Hmmmm... I think this was a bit of a weird story, but... It was a nice read!

I don't have any feedback to give though... Still, I liked it! *snuggles*

Action likes this.
  13. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    I should really finish writing my December story.

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck! ^^)/

15. andykhang

andykhang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In a certain mansion, a certain family

Edit: Welp, too late. Better start my next story

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  16. andykhang

andykhang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A Town void of people.

Even though it's Chirsmas this year, no one is here, even in the middle of the town where the big chirstmas tree is planted there.

A single girl, in her most beautiful clothes and jacket, stand alone in front of it. She was suppose to be here because something important is happening.

And yet...

"What should I do...I accidentally annihilate everyone..."

Welp, I could just revert them back to normal though.

Yelp, that girl is me.

As you can tell, I'm a godlike being with omnipotent power. I could do anything I want.

Really, anything I want...then why...

"...Well, for the time being, since I got the town for myself, why don't I visit it for a change?"

Since everything is going to be returned to normal after all.

To normal...

*Pachi Pachi*

"Never mind about that! First, let go to the bakery!"

Slapping my cheek, I motivated myself and began to move my feet.

It feel cold though...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A while later, I have arrive to the bakery.

Well, I said "a while", but I just got there instantly though.

Not to said that I didn't walk the whole way though, since it's more romantic this way!

...Less so when you're alone though, especially when you lightly broke the speed of light a tad :).

Well, no used minding about such a thing, let check inside.

"Hello, I come here to buy a cake!"

...Of course, no one is here. I does erased everyone after all.

Come to think of it though...why would I want to buy a cake for myself? Wouldn't people see me like this and started to pity me!?

...Not like there're people around though.

B-Beside, I have friend! I could just share this with everyone after I buy it after all.

Forcefully, if neccessary.

Cough...anyway, yeah, I have friend!

I don't remember how long since I have one though...maybe I didn't have one...

Nonono, that's too depressing! Remember, you got friend in this place remember!? Doesn't matter if you never have one for the eternity you live through!

...Hic. Great way to bring the mood down there, me.

Anyway then, speaking of friend...

~~~~~~~~

Have you heard of the legend of the Midnight Girl?

For many, it was about a girl, who rule the entire school at night, mocking and teasing the effort of finding and catching her, while also rewarding their effort with her escape filled with grandeur, grace and spetacle.

But for me...

~~~~~~~~

...In one moment of eternity, I somehow observe upon this school.

Don't know when, don't know where, and I have no idea how...But I find this school fun.

So I decided to join in.

And thus, from nothing, and out of nowhere, I decided to come out and greet everyone.

Safe to said, everyone freak out.

And then I'm freak out.

And then the entire world explode.

And then, from the ashes and fragments of the world, I learn the first thing ever from this world, that changed everything in my entire life until now...Common sense.

...Yes, that's seriously what I learn, and I take that very seriously thank you very much.

Thank to that, I learn not to explode a world just because you're panic and freak out that everyone is so shocked to see you coming that some even attack you by a cosmic beam.

...Oops.

Edit: Unfinished, don't open until I'm done

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Genre: Suspense, Comedy
    Word Count: 754
    Title: Ghosts Are Real! I Swear They Are!!!

It had been dark... Really dark. For quite a while at that.

I didn't remember this road being so silent... Well, alley... I mean, the roads near the alley.

Let me start from the beginning, alright?

I was going to school just like everyday... Or rather, my job is to go to school... No no, not like every student's job is to study, I'm not a student... I mean, I technically am a student, but I...

Agh, okay, starting again. My job is to go to school study, so I'm enrolled as an student, but that is just a cover for my real job.

I'm actually a ghost hunter, you see? Crazy, I know, who'd believe in ghosts on this day and age? Well, I do, and some crazy scientists do too, so that's what I'm paid for.

... I shouldn't really call them crazy if I believe the same stuff they do, should I? Bu-but it's not my fault that they all look weird and laugh maniacally from time to time! What else should I call them other than crazy scientists!? >..<

Eh? Mad scientists? I guess that would work? Well... It doesn't change much, does it?
    ... Aaaaaanyway!

I have had this job for around 18 months now, and I think we're finally close to catching our first ghost!

... What do you mean 18 months is too much? It takes some good 5 years for an anime to break even, you know? You can't simply invest on something and expect an immediate return! You need to work hard and steadily in it for a good amount of time! Only then does the hardwork pays off!

So, back to were I was... Oh yes, ghost hunting. My middle school has had rumors of ghosts and haunting things for decades, yet nobody got any proof so far, how come!? Maybe they're all false and simple rumors from children and teenagers? Nonsense I tell you! Nonsense!

They are just too well hidden, just like the toys in T*y St*ry, they never let people see them moving, they hide and have their own life while nobody is looking!

But this time! This time I'll definitely catch one! I have been pursuing the Ghost Cat of Nothingham for 4 months already, it will definitely be caught today!

It's a ghost cat spirit that appears on my school and haunts the people that stay after class for studying, its nyaning is so creepy that everyone runs at once!

After careful and sneaky investigation, I finally found its hideout, it's absolutely on this very alley!!!

I mean, nobody ever entered this alley, so it was the perfect hideout for a ghost cat!

But... It was really creepy, you know!? Those roads aren't particularly busy, but they are definitely not as empty as they are today! What did this ghost do!? Did it take the souls of everyone nearby and-

"Nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"

Kyaaaaaaaa!!! I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry! I'll never investigate ghosts again, please don't take my soul!!!!

I felt a creepy sensation on my leg and jumped away! Eeeeeeek!

... Eh? A cat? I looked at it, it was a relatively old cat that was... Probably licking my leg.

It had a fish near it, and some kittens came from the surroundings to eat the food it brought.

... Is this the ghost cat? But... Why!? Why would it be at school!? And why is everything so so silent!?

I looked carefully at the fish, and saw that it had a sticker with the brand of the provider of my school's food... Was it stealing food to bring the kittens?

Bu-bu-but what about the silence!?

My cellphone rang, I took it from my purse and saw that it was my mom. I temporarily halted my investigation due to an emergency interruption!

"Hi mom!"

"Where in the world are you!? We are 2 hours late to go visit your grandparents home and you have yet to come home girl! Be prepared for a huuuuuuuuuuuge scolding when we get back-"

She kept on scolding me through the phone, and I am going to have more when I get home... Ah... Holidays, those are just so... Holidays?

Oh, right, today was a holiday and everyone was on a trip, so that's why there was no sound... I used the empty school as a chance to go there investigate... Teehee?

Well, this case is closed! The Ghost Cat of Nothingham is nothing more than a normal cat!

Time to start investigating the Cursed Doll of Halleluhah then! ^^)7

Hmmmmm... A pretty short one, I had no idea for it at all, so I kinda made the idea as I wrote... Well, it was a bit fun, so it's okay~

18. Trane

Trane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Story of Shaggy and Scoob
    Word Count: 650+
    Genre: VR ??

Twas a rather dull day for our protagonist, midterms were up and he did not do so well which garnered the attention as well as scolding of his parents. He used to be pretty smart but maybe it was due to his environment, he felt there was something missing in his brain.
    His IQ remained and saw a noticeable decrease in memory.

In order to get his mind off the depressive life he had,( uhh... let's just call him shaggy and the friend is scoob) the friend that he met on the freshman year "Scoob" had been playing a new popular mainstream virtual reality game. Scoob had been trying to get Shaggy to join him so that they could play together, but Shaggy always refused and came up with nonchalant reasons not to play VR games.
    Because Shaggy was feeling pretty down, he used the saved up money to buy the game and console which he set up in his room.
    Creating his account and dealing with the settings for a full dive virtual game, creating the character went relatively faster and only took up 2 minutes while he had to wait 10 minutes getting to that point.

Character name selected. . .
    Character fully created. . .
    Game Loading . . .
    etc . . .

There was a flash of blinding light that new players experienced the first time they arrive inside a game, the scene that greeted him was the beginner town with not many players around since 2 months had passed since the game was released.
    NPCs , new players with late start just like himself , a few players helping those new players or selling things.
    Shaggy turned his head looking at the virtual body wearing some shabby clothes and a rod. He had chosen the class of <<wizard>>with some subclasses that made him smarter, deciding that since his grades were not well, at least in the virtual world he would be the opposite.
    Grabbing some quests and executing them, leveling up , joining parties and reaching level 10.
    Shaggy finally went to the next town and partied with his good friend Scoob, Shaggy was hooked. . .the game world was so much more exciting than the world outside.

The fun would eventually end, and it came very abruptly. . .

Their parents did not like the fact that they spent too much time with their virtual console.
    Normally you'd think that this was the end and they would both return to what they were doing and maybe. . . just maybe, cut down on the playing time.

But these two fellas had joined a guild with very avid players, that's right. . pro players.
    Shaggy and Scoob decided to enter the ranks of pro gaming and the first step was an apprenticeship with the guild.
    Moving out after finishing minimum education, they earned their first combined 1 million.
    A few years later, they had moved on to possess tens of millions in their bank accounts.
    Heh, it was just 26 mil in their accounts.

They decided to reconcile and head home to spend new year together with their families and share the good news. .
    They had bought gifts and feeling pretty good about themselves.
    Sigh. . .

Bad news struck them fast, with so much money on their account and no girlfriends. How long could they last with the current lifestyle.
    Their parents,aunts and uncles as well as grandparents told them to get further education and quit as pro gamers.
    The discussion went on for hours but they eventually gave in and compromised to do both, our protagonists still put more focus on their work and managed join a gaming company through effort after completing their education although it took a while.

Shaggy and Scoob had decided to enter long distance courses and study at their own pace. They were always too absorbed in their gaming wanting to spend more time inside wishing there were more that 24 hours a day.

After starting a family and having their own kids, they died prematurely at around the age of 40.
    It turns out that they had "worked" themselves to death.
    Their last words were "Viva la NU( novelupdates )" not forgetting to run towards that truck

You'll have to excuse the quality, as i am feeling very tired , yawn*

19. Novela

Novela Immortal Sheep

Reading List:
    Link
    By any chance did you get inspired by Scooby doo (because of title and their friends) ?

20. Kudaranai

Kudaranai                                                   

Reading List:
    Link
    Title: (I suck at making titles so untitled for now) Last Mail
    Word Count: 673
    Genre: Drama(?), Slice of Life(?), VR(?)

I wake up every morning to the sound of chirping birds, it was the sound of my alarm. I set it up to sound as natural as possible and am satisfied with the result.

Turning the alarm off I proceed to conduct my daily routine of taking a shower, drinking coffee and breakfast I made for myself while watching the morning news.

'all is normal in the world' was what I thought.

Seeing that it was almost time for work, I cleaned and tidied up the little room I call home before going to work.

With one last look in the mirror I noticed it, a gaping crack on my neck. Taking a closer look shows a black emptiness outlined by what I can only describe as a pixelated version of my skin.

'ah, so I died' was the conclusion that I came up with.

It was not some supernatural phenomenon that people who likes the occult would say, on the contrary it's a product of technology.

With the technology of the present age anything can be recreated to the most minute of details be it sound, creatures or even the world itself. This world simulation that I've been living in for the last 47 years is just like that, an imitation of the other side of this reality. And the crack on my neck is an indication that my real body just died, leaving me more or less a day to continue existing.

After a brief moment of pondering I decided to fill my boss in on the situation.

He was a kind person whom I laughed and shared drinks with over the years, hearing him bawling over the phone just made me realize the true weight of my situation making me weep along with him. After an hour of weeping like a baby, reminiscing the things we've been through, we ended the talk in a formal manner and saying our goodbyes.

'I'm really going to disappear now...'

Staring into the mirror on my toilet sink, I see my horrible red face still teary eyed. I washed my face to cool down, feeling the cold sensation of the water.

'they really made this virtual reality too life-like'

Appreciating the world now that my life's at an end is somewhat cliche. Remembering the time before I started living in this virtual reality reminds me of my family, and the accident that turned me into a vegetable. Thanks to money and technology I can live life like a normal person here but it also made my family distant.

At the start it felt like everything will return to normal but as time passed, simply being able to communicate was no longer enough. My body was stationary but they probably felt like I was in a far away place, that talking to me was more like talking to a machine that imitated me.

A decade later my wife filed a divorce, half a decade my kids graduated, after three years my eldest son got married, their lives continued to move on just like that with my most minute involvement as all forms of communication now boiled down to simple formalities.

'I wonder what they'll feel now that I've died, perhaps they already know and just didn't bother' I puffed a smoke on my balcony to resolve myself one last time.

'it's the last time I'll write something to them, might as well make it count'

With that I proceeded to write my last words, my last mail.

As tears trickled down my cheeks I wrote pouring my heart out, expressing my love and gratefulness and bidding them my final farewell, wishing for the best. Now satisfied, I sent the mail and secluded myself from any outside interference.

I washed myself one last time noticing that my body is now covered in cracks, then headed out the balcony for one last glimpse of the sunset.

Satisfied with the late afternoon breeze and the beautiful scenery, I decided to sleep early and wished for a beautiful dream.

I'm open to criticism but please break it to me gently, I'm a newbie

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Novela likes this.