more ram now or wait 1-2 years for new pc

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by FallenLife, Aug 5, 2017.

?

more ram now or wait 1-2 years for new pc

1. more ram now

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. wait for new pc

30 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. redzero36

redzero36 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably get more RAM. DDR3 is cheap, probably 4gb or more. Get whatever brand or match you you already have. Then save up for a pc for 1 years, like a 100$ a month, you'll be able to build a beast with 1200$, thats what I did.

2. FallenLife

FallenLife Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm on win 7 64-bit.
    When I said new pc, I mean completely new parts I know I got like no upgrade path on this pc.

3. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    depending on where you are, i'd say try finding a used/2nd hand i3 processor at least, and sell off your g630. the cost will be similar or even less than adding a 4GB ddr3 ram.

unless youre 50++ tab browsing, 8GB of ram won't be too noticeable much. if you want to anyway, finding a used ram is good too. no need for new.

if you're not yet using an ssd, then get one. going from hdd to ssd is very noticable improvement. plus, you can re-use your ssd when you're switching to new pc

my recommendation in order of priority and noticable performance increase

• ssd (higher price than a new stick of ram, but still less than double.) you can use it in your new pc later too
    • processor (a used i3 should cost less than new stick of 4GB ram). if you can find an i5, that is far better
    • ram (i recommend a used one, because you'll be using ddr4 for new pc anyway). but new one is also fine

4. methael

methael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend building a pc. You can build a decently powerful pc for 600-700 dollars and it will play all new videos games at 1080p high-ultra settings.

Good luck!
    P.S. It also depends what you use your pc for.

5. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    I would suggest saving your money for a new PC with better processor, GPU and RAM 2 years later.

RAM is not everything. If you want to play high end computer games, you also need good processor and GPU. Basically, processor executes the codes of the games, RAM loads the assets and codes you require to run the game at any given time while GPU takes the assets and processes it so that your screen can display it. So having 16GB RAM when the game only needs 6GB RAM is completely useless unless you're running plenty of background programs, which you don't need, because you can just shut them down if RAM is short for you.

6. tamsok

tamsok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you need it for gaming then I suggest getting core i5 at least for processor and ram at up to 8gb. If your mobo can be slotted with those then no need for new pc. If you want high end games then upgrade your graphics card. If it is still slow then try formatting your hard disk or check if it is dying. Cleaning the inside of you pc also helps. If you want to get new pc then build one instead. By doing this, you can salvage usable parts from your old pc and your new ram if ever you bought one.

7. FallenLife

Reading List:
    Link
    My current mobo is Gigabyte H61M-S2H v1.3.
    Ivy bridge would be the highest end intel cpu I could use on this mobo

8. tamsok

tamsok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not really a tech expect but I've built a few CPUs before myself. now I just stick to my laptop and gave my old pc to my cousin a few years back. I didn't even know that ddr3 is obsolete:sweating_profusely:. Upgrading your CPU might be counterproductive. For now you can opt to buy a 4gb pair (dual channeling) for your current ram(might be cheap currently) because with only 4gb you can some low end games but very slow and laggy, while you wait 1-2 year to build a new pc. AMD is also a good option for gaming instead of intel.

9. mrducky

mrducky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RAM is always expensive, it's price is kept high artificially and industry has black laundry.

10. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    RAM isn't always expensive. Just prices were thrown up for a few years of both hard drives and RAM due to the earthquake which damaged the factories.

5 years ago you could easily pick up 16gb of ram for 50$. Only recently did prices recover and it is still about 60$

11. mrducky

mrducky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They do it every few years. There are many cases of DRAM price fixing. Also the fires / droughs / earthquakes happen every few years too. One real problem is that manufacturers massively scaled down production in past years, which combined with earthquake caused the scarcity and awful pricing.

12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw no indicator of scaling down production. Just the demand went up as the same fabs also produce SSDs, so the market got more constrained to due demand being split. Overall though RAM prices have been on the decline with exception of those events that caused factory damage.

13. Pizz0011

Pizz0011 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    all windows that aren't 64bit can not see more than 3gb of ram no matter how much you put in as the 32bit system is capped to only use 3gb the biso will see it but windows will not use it it in anyway ( you can google this fact ) , but you may find a better video card could help as ,
    if you don't / didn't know all the new browsers are set ( by default) to use GPU hardware before cpu to render the pages , which is good for web stuff but can screw you over for gaming unless you turn it off by unticking the box and your get an extra 10-20% fps
    to turn it off you have to look under advanced settings
    so if you're just using the pc for surfing etc then save your cash on the ram and save for a new pc or put a cheaper better video card in , if your going to start gaming more etc then just buy a new pc when you can

14. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Buy a new PC now? 4 gig wont even run my phone!

15. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there a reason why you can't get a new PC now? If it's money, then you might be able to sell off your old PC (part by part probably) to cover up part of the fund needed,

If your reason for delaying is to wait for better parts to come out/become cheaper, then just get it now. It's a neverending wait.

16. Lemonadez

Lemonadez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Build a new PC with Ryzen 3 1200. CHEAPEST than i3/i5. Say Buh Bye to Overprice Intel Brand. I mean why pay overprice your not one of those Hard Core Gamer 4k Resolution + Multiple Numbers FPS 300+. Intel Mobo are overprice.

17. FallenLife

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a couple things that I know will come out in a couple years, and my current system can run(though a bit slow) and from the looks of it my cpu and ram are kinda a bottle neck for the some of the games I play. I don't play high end games as I know this pc will either barely run it or it will be so bad it's unplayable. This pc is from a small pc store(not those big box stores) that they put together in store from a list of recommend builds. Probably should've gotten the core i3 at the time, it was about $30-60 more to upgrade to it.
    FYI: I didn't know anything about pc parts at that time.

18. umair

umair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only consider 8GB RAM as the minimum acceptable threshold for 64-bit Windows. 16 GB as recommended as that allows some performance tweaks. Simply as RAM is cheap, why bother thinking so seriously about it.

For smooth running of stuff RAM is very very essential. The processor normally always never reaches its full potential unless one is doing complex calculations be those for research, graphic design or video encoding etc. The slowest component of a computer system is the main storage device, even the current fastest storage devices can't be compared to RAM or the processor.

As it seems that you are perfectly content with a 5 year old PC, I suggest that after upgrading the RAM, buy a SSD (preferably MLC Flash based) or faster HDD. Don't buy the new computer.

19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

8GB as bare minimum!? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry sorry, I couldn't help but laugh this much at what you said, my PC has 2GB of RAM and it is 64-bit... Sure, it is from back when Windows Xp was a new thing, but it doesn't change the face that it has 2GB of RAM and works perfectly fine for literally everything that I want.

... Alright, let's be a bit fair, I was annoyed when Touhou 10 started lagging and I had to start skipping 1/2 of the frames, my firefox crashing whenever I try loading more than 3 tabs at once is also bothersome, not to mention the occasional times in which my PC simply starts lagging for 5 minutes with no previous warning.

But hey, it's a PC that should have... 13 years? Maybe more? I dunno. It still works just fine for me, and I have absolutely no intention of changing it until it breaks.

Dunno why you have such high standards for PC's RAM, you probably won't ever need anything near your "bare minimum" unless you want to play some AAA games or something.

Ai chan and Razogul like this.
  20. Razogul

Razogul [Flag Raiser][Rald's and Carm's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with Brasca here.

Essentially, if you want to play games that require a lot of ram, yeah do it. If you don't play high graphics or the such, wait IMO. I have 8 GB DDR2 Ram (Fight me for DDR2 is old) over the years. I've used the same setup since High School so...7-8 years using it. I'll replace my PC when it breaks or I get enough money to build a new one.

Ai chan and AliceShiki like this.