Most common hair/eye color combination of fantasy josei protagonists?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Owl1412, Apr 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owl1412

Owl1412 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking about how the MLs of romance fantasy novels (the type with royalty, dukes yada yada) get a lot less diversity in terms of hair/eye color. Normally they have black hair and blue/red/gold eyes. Sometimes they're blond or have silver hair. But the female protagonists can be literally any color of the rainbow. Pink, red, orange, blonde, green, blue, purple, silver, black, brunette, etc. paired with any eye color that's attractive. So my question for you is, what do you think is the most common hair/eye color combination for romance fantasy protagonists?

My bet for ML: black hair, red eyes
    My bet for FL: blonde, green eyes

I considered making a poll, but there would be way too many options lol

Fulminata likes this.
  2. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Female lead:
    CN: Black hair, black eyes
    JP: Silver hair, blue eyes or Brown hair, brown eyes
    KR: Brown/Blonde, green eyes

Male lead:
    CN: Black hair, black eyes
    JP: Blonde hair, blue eyes
    KR: Black hair, any eye color

3. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say that the FL and ML hair and eyes are (more commonly, but not always) contrasting and/or complementary of each other.

MC FL with dark hair and eyes? >>> ML bright hair and eyes.
    (Ex. MC FL black hair with red eyes, best bet the ML has blonde hair (or platinum) with blue eyes)
    Or (MC FL with black hair with blue eyes, ML has blonde hair with dark or red eyes)

Those are mostly examples, but I think since the MC FL’s design is likely to be made first, the ML will be designed to compliment or contrast her looks since a good chunk of this genre focuses on aesthetics to a major degree. So the main couple will always look good together, no matter how unique the color combinations the MC FL has, and you especially want the MC FL to stand out on her looks since she's on the cover image and therefore, she's your first impression of the series itself.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  4. hgbhgbhgb

hgbhgbhgb Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    FL: silver-haired, yellow/blue eyes

5. lavendidi

lavendidi First of Her Name, Lover of Cliches

Reading List:
    Link
    we have the same observations lmao. I'm so tired of the trend for black hair-red eye combination no matter ML of FL but I'm pretty down if they just change it a bit even if it became black-orange, or black-gold lmao. Tho even if they're all mainstream character color scheme, I still dig it if the plot's nice especially isekai'd villainess girls lol

6. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're probably referring to western fantasy because when it's eastern everyone's hair and eyes are dark lol

ML: black hair or silver hair (sometimes I see blond hair, but most other hair colors are rare). Red eyes are common pairings for all three, (probably) because it's edgier. Sometimes, it's a black-haired & black-eyed ML. Blue eyes are more common for blond-haired ones but sometimes appear with other hair colors. Other than red, another common eye color would be yellow/gold?

FL: yeah, any color of the rainbow xD. It appears that black, blond, and silver are the most common, and after that is pink, red, and brown. Eyes can really be any color (it appears green, blue, and red are most common), although eye color will not be dark if the hair color is light.

Shio and MisterBubbles like this.
  7. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Black/brown eyes and black/brown hair.

8. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eyes/hair that change color, because the author forgets after a hundred chapters and needs more filler but doesn't have time to check what they wrote before.
    That or color change because of plot reasons or adaptation into another media.

9. Deleted member 318062

Deleted member 318062 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Yoshaa!! Over some of my observations in manhwas i read over the past few months in my opnion its mostly silver, white or platnium blonde, with a pair of lilac or light blue eyes for The FL (Wich is mostly the MC's in most isekai manhwa) and the ML mainly has Blueberry, Emerald green or blond typa' hair and the main pair with them has the diamond color eyes (?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.