LCD Mother of Learning

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Apr 25, 2016.

1. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Quatach-Ichl certainly got the main characters with his attack. I don't remember if it was reasonably possible to rip themselves out of the time loop through brute force. (Yay, nuffies!)

Sharudeis likes this.
  2. jolly-crow

jolly-crow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it was reasonable enough. Forget his mind blank, the dispel stripped Xvim of all his personal defense spells. So, it was probably an overpowered dispel that can be explained with what QI said before in the chapter in regard to the invasion: "we are operating in impossible fashion, using magics that nobody is aware are possible." The problem with Xvim's defense is that it's highly effective against the known, but it has little margin when facing the unknown, let alone the impossible.

3. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if the dispel stripped all his defenses (which makes dispel a really OP spell, why aren't everyone else using it then?), there is the issue that xvim uses unstructured mental defenses. So not only is there nothing to really dispel, they come back online almost instantly.

4. jolly-crow

jolly-crow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the matter, dispel may be commonplace (look here under "Negation") but the one QI used could be an overpowered one. One that only he knows/developed and so beyond the realm of what Xvim considers possible, which means he can put up little to no defense against it.

I'm not gonna discuss much about mental defenses and/or unstructured magic cause it's been a while since I binged this, and I sure have no idea what you're even talking about. :blobsweat: Random guess: he attacked the source of his magic, preventing him from wielding it in any form whatsoever.

Edit: btw, if you're gonna reply to me, it's better if you quote my post. I only noticed this by pure chance...

5. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is still pretty BS. especially considering QI has never ever used this before even when fighting tough battles.

Unstructured magic is done without casting a spell, you just use raw mana to do things with pure direct manipulation of it by your soul. There is nothing to dispel, and even if it could it wouldn't stop your unstructured magic for more than an instant.

And dispel really should not be severing someone's ability to use magic... also it explicitly didn't do it because as soon as he was free of mental attack he started casting again

6. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there's always the possibility that the dispel he used increases in effectiveness based on the amount of magic power put behind it. Kind of a battering ram or signal jamming approach. In that case, he may not have been willing to use it at that strength previously because he needed to maintain minimum magic reserves for controlling a city-wide battlefield. Here, he just needed to know how the 'illusion' worked so that he could break out of it and flee, so risking a large amount of his enormous mana pool would be more reasonable.

As for why Xvim's defenses stayed down, it was likely an effect of the mind probe magic that QI was using. Some sort of stunning affect or similar. It would be a fairly important function for such a spell to have after all.

jolly-crow likes this.
  7. heroeric

heroeric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone at the reddit for the new chapter asked how QI mental attack could work on Xvim and nobody replied and explained that the mental attack was simply too strong for even Xvim's mental defenses

jolly-crow likes this.
  8. hanglekuk

hanglekuk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any ideas why the chapter is titled "scorpion"? The other titles make more sense.

9. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    No idea. Seemed a bit bizarre to me as well.

10. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably a reference to the fable about cooperating with a scorpion and getting stung.

11. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Now I know why this chapter feels familiar, nascent soul cultivator get his power robbed and become a mere mortal. This new chapter is short than previous, pretty much relaxing time for Z&Z.

12. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Calm before the storm for us too.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  13. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. Only 18 or so restarts left. Only 1 and a half years to get the other four pieces besides the orb. It's go time.

14. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like i need to start rereading the book...... How much more is left?

15. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Um, like 1-2 more important arcs I think. Can't remember what exactly he said and when he said it. But probably not that much more to go. Then again, with his pace of releases that's more like a year of chapters or so.

Ddraig likes this.
  16. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    How was he planning to pay the mercenaries he was going to hire to rescue Zach?

If this plan works, he should try to figure out what the lich's schedule is like for the first few days of the restart. It might make it easier for them to ambush him while they still have enough time to grab the other artifacts. That said, I don't have a lot of faith in this plan....

That's just for this book though. There's still the final book after that.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  17. hanglekuk

hanglekuk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I've gathered, author had planned to end his book with MCs escaping the time loop. (not sure if that includes the real life month after escaping loop - but I kinda was getting impression it was not in the original plan). The people were pestering him a lot about future plans, so he said he considers writing a vol.4 - but it is not even planned yet. He planned most of the story before started writing it, so for now he's just sticking to his original plan. After current story will finish, it is very likely that he will spend some time on future story in this universe.

So not sure what you mean by final book. And it may take awhile

18. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, they should have just learned the kael coin trick, then did what redrobe did, join the attackers, gain the lich's confidence, and then get him to touch the coin. instantly banishing him for 15 days or so... just do that 15 days before end of restart and you are golden.

Not to mention the tons of info they could have squeezed out of him.

19. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Odds are though, Red Robe was affiliated with the attackers before the ongoings of the loop, so the only surprise would've been the strength/knowledge of Red Robe and not a surprise joining. I think it'd be very very difficult to pull off, especially when you have to get close to a lich who can seriously screw them up without giving anything away.

20. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If redrobe was already a member that suddenly went from "child" to "super prodigy" then it would have raised a fuckton of red flags.

Also, the way to get in is via identity theft (mindrape makes it easy) instead of using your real identity.
    And the attackers are not one monolithic faction, but multiple factions cooperating. So obviously you are from a different faction, which is why they haven't heard of you before.

As for getting close... I meant the same way redrobe did. Although even if not a simple "lord X sent me to deliver something to you" rather than close friendship would work.