Discussion Motivational posters

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jojo775, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
  2. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the ones from https://despair.com/

My personal favorite, and I've bought it in a small frame, is:
    [​IMG]

Is this not the truth?

3. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t have any motivational poster at home. Just painting and pictures of the beach, brooks and other decorative things. But if you want motivational than just look below. These are some of my favorite quotes

spider, poploc and Jojo775 like this.
  4. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Rocky quote, nice. Captain America has broken link.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  5. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "How you ever gonna be shit? Do you come from a shitty family tree?"
    -a quote from a video by Kurosai

Jojo775 likes this.
  7. menecio

menecio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to have some! Most were slightly edited so they aren't 100% verbatim. I consider them all motivational because of the mood they inspire in me:
    • "We look up at the same stars and see such different constellations." —George R.R. Martin
    • "You're a tree stump with leaves sprouting out, reborn." —Mary Lambert
    • "Pain demands to be felt." —John Green
    • "You kindled me, heap of ashes that I am, into fire." —Charles Dickens
    • "I think we ought to live happily ever after." —Diana Wynne Jones

spider and Jojo775 like this.
  8. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    It comes up when I click it, but if it that doesn’t work. My avatar has the same quote

Jojo775 likes this.
  9. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Do motivational quotes help? Once I accepted the meaningless of life and death's inevitability, I was set. The fact that our brains are capable of realizing our existence and our death is sadistic. Starting my 20s, there's a constant dread in the corner of my brain of the nothingness after death - the destruction of my consciousness. So, I tell myself, I don't want in my final moments to think of what I regret not doing or doing. So I pursue happiness and create it myself. I work against the sadness my brain randomly creates just because it's bored of the mundane reality of having to earn money in order to live comfortably.

I don't look for meaning in career or family or some higher goal. On an individual level, we're all nothing. Unless you're a genius who can leave their name in the textbooks with a great discovery. Or a shitty ruler who grabbed some lands and killed a bunch of people, so we can study about him in history books, but honestly, I see that as a negative contribution to society, I don't care what anyone says. And yeah, think of all those teenagers who were killed in wars - either as soldiers or some unlucky farmers in the wrong place at the wrong time. What did their life amount to and what meaning did it have. What were their final thoughts? What was the point of their existence? Most of us are pretty useless, plain cogs in a system, paying taxes is our only use. And as a woman, I'm expected to birth the next taxpayers for my country, heh.

There are two quotes that have ever really helped me. One is from Dune, and with the recent film, I guess most everyone knows about it.

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Well, the first two sentences of the whole quote are enough. The other one is by Carl Sagan.

“The cosmos is within us. We are made of star-stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself.”

The Dune one soothes my anxiety, Sagan's one soothes my existential dread.

spider, Jojo775 and ANonMouse like this.
  10. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if that was rhetorical. Not by themselves.

11. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always found the Dune Fear quote to be chunni coating over, yeah, you are terrified now, but that too passes.

Like, no shit, it passes. If I held onto all consuming fear for the rest of my life I'd shortly fall apart of the stress it puts on the body. And it retreating back just means whatever you are afraid of went away or lost its major impact because its there in your face too long and you adapt to it mentally.

Don't get me wrong, sci fi swordsman, elite armies like prison planet guys vs chad dessert planet's desperados, drug/medicine that is Spice and the body horror of Dune worm fusing is pretty sweet reading.

Commanders getting hostile personality takeover attempts (and in some case success from said personalities) form their own bloodline and it driving nearly all the plot despite the actual person being dead was pretty shit. As were Bene Gesserite in general.

So much of the spoken and written thoughts of thinkers are preserved its also another infirmation blast to seek out too many. You are better off focusing on some particular philosophy or religion appealing to you than trying to understand and explore all, even if its only in one of the directions.

Or as a youtube video put it, "I read countless words of ancient grumpy dudes who though too much"

ongoingwhy likes this.
  12. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Used to have one.
    But I ended up trying to not see the damn thing and even clear avoidance :notlikeblob::facepalm:.

ongoingwhy and Jojo775 like this.
  13. menecio

menecio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know I already posted here, BUT! I just found a motivational quote that I'm gonna print and hang up on my wall tomorrow because I loved it and I wanted to share it:

La bida es ermosa y ay qe bibirla
    (aún con errores)​

It's in Spanish and it means:

Lyfe is beatiful and we mast lyve eet
    (even with mistakes)​

I found it super cute and funny, especially considering I spellcheck for a living! :blobjoy:

14. spider

spider Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My motivation comes from anime. So I picked some of them above.