Question MTL... is it worth it to finish a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by White Empress, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White Empress

White Empress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One novel I’ve been reading is only 4 chapters away from being finished and I’m dying at the cliffhanger. The translation quality is amazing but the translator is not consistent with updates, often going several months without a chapter. I’m afraid of having to wait 4+ months just to finish the story and not remember what last happened in the book. I’m thinking of trying to scrape up the raw sand just mtl it but I know the quality will be much lower and not the same experience reading it from the translator... but like I said several months just for four chapters is agonizing. Any opinions/advice?

2. DeirdreH

DeirdreH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading MTL causes brain damage, but maybe in the grand scheme of things it's a small price to pay in order to finish a novel.

Suranchan and GDLiZy like this.
  3. aceclover95

aceclover95 『Starry Night Translator』『Ruler of Sloth』

Reading List:
    Link
    I really don't recommend MTL-ing, especially if you really love the novel. MTL only gives you the gist of what happened as everything else is guesswork, and the details/nuance more often than not got lost. But of course you will still understand the general things that are happening.

But when the actual translation is released, you will lose the element of surprise and get the sense of 'dejavu' which really takes a lot of enjoyment from reading the novel.

I suggest you take a break from the novel until it releases all of 4 chapters and try to find another novel to read in the meantime. By doing this, when the chapters come out and you don't remember what's going on anymore, you can reread the novel maybe the last ten chapters. If this novel is really great, then rereading it should not pose a problem and you may even find details you missed the first time you read it

4. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Some novels get decent mtl with google translate others are unreadable.
    So if you do so I addvise you to try mtl the about 10 chapters you have read to see if you can do it.

Tho I don't recomend you to read mtl, you should rather just wait for the chapters to get translated and reread the novel

White Empress likes this.
  5. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    If there is no active translation for the novel you're reading and it doesn't look as if anyone would pick-up the novel - go for mtl
    If there is an active translation for your novel and you're only missing the last couple of chapters - nope

If you're a tough guy who even now refuses to wash his hands and keeps on touching his face non-stop while you enjoy hanging out in overcrowded places - go for mtl in general as it really wouldn't matter if you suffer any long-term damages from reading it.

bkwusa and White Empress like this.
  6. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how difficult the translation is. Some translations are almost identical to mtl except for some terms but for others mtl will make you think the good guy is a bad guy

7. White Empress

White Empress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks so much! I’m really glad for the advice or I might’ve made a rash decision. I really appreciate the well thought out logic in your decision making it’s so helpful.
    I think I’ll hold out and pick up another novel in the meantime. Also keeping your words for future scenarios is great :D
    Now just to find more novels I guess... not something I’m new to lol

StuffedDuck likes this.
  8. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Humm, I would search for a spoiler thread before trying to MTL everything...

Suranchan likes this.
  9. bkwusa

bkwusa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL can be very misleading. You think 1 think happened but actually the opposite did... Not a good way to finish a novel.

mir likes this.
  10. Irlin-senpai

Irlin-senpai I ain't got a Clue(-chan)

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read mtl to get the gist of how things happened… but even so, mtls can be very very wrong and misleading so be careful

11. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL will lose the prose and foreshadowing so no.

12. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my experience, MTL only works for novels that you're able to just skim through normally anyway. Against the Gods for example, where most of the writing is unnecessary, but vague, descriptions of things that don't really matter - or filler. Keep in mind, MTL can't understand context, it can't understand what's a name and what isn't, and often mistranslates terms and phrases. It's also very annoying as certain names or words will be different from the actual translation that you were reading.

I think in your case, MTL would really spoil the ending for a novel you're so excited to finish. If the novel is detailed, with lots of stuff going on that you need to pay attention to - then definitely don't read MTL. Especially if there's someone still translating. Even if the novel were dropped, you can always put a request for someone to finish it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.