Multiplayer Console Games Without Local Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by AliceShiki, Jan 12, 2022.

?

Do you care about having the local co-op function?

1. I do!

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. To some extent.

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. I don't really care.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Feels like a waste of dev time to add it tbh.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and why would you need a splitscreen ? you could have multiple PCs perhaps a laptop etc
    pemanent LAN and you could game most games locally
    now-a-days they all want to take the redirection throught the inet

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Because not everyone has multiple PCs available for their children? Like... Yeah, for adults it's mostly useless, since you'll probably have one PC for each person, but for children/teenagers, local co-op on PC is still quite beneficial.

But well, it only makes sense on games that use only the keyboard and stuff, so... Well, that can't be helped.

3. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    still its split screen not making sense for most pc games not the LAN option

i slightly remeber a racing game giving the slitscreen option with wasd and arrow key controls
    otherwhise there were party games like "you dont know jack" but packing 4 ppl infront of a single keyboard ...
    the age of usb/bluet. would allow the use of controllers too
    thought im used to mouse/keyboard and mostly thats the more precise form of controls
    i just gave up on streetfighter as their 360°/720° rotations are impossible on keyboards

4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye, controllers can also work, but they usually can't substitute keyboard + mouse. They can usually only substitute a keyboard.

Like... You can play Street Fighter on PC in local co-op, but you can't play Age of Empires/Dota/Stuff Like that... Because well, you'd need two mouses for those.

5. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well back in the days i played AoE with my brother via local area network so i would call it locally too
    we spend hours and hours in d2 together for example
    while d3 removed the local option completly and forced everyone into the net (battle.net) even to play with a person in the room next door

6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but you need two PCs for that.

I was specifically referring to two people playing on the same PC, because like... Not every house has 2+ PCs available for their children to play at.

7. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    consoles closed down to PC in that aspect anyway right ? i mean as long its not "party" games most console games dont give you splitscreen either and you wound need internet and multiple consoles
    at least x box or ps xyz are that way wii might be an exception

8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, I'm fairly sure the more mainstream games of genres that expect local co-op to be a thing still end up having it.

Stuff like Call of Duty, Fifa, Need for Speed, Street Fighter or whatever will probably have local co-op forever (yes, not all of them need splitscreen, but you get the point)... It is annoying that there are games that don't support split screen when they obviously should, but hey, at least the mainstream games still do~

9. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i would have guessed that games like battlefield or CoD comes without local co op
    fighting games are a bit special as you have 2 figures in the arena anyway and its just about is player 2 played by a human or some form of AI/script/bot/whatever
    somehow i would even call fifa as a variation of fighting game, you got your arena and you control 1 figure at a time
    for some devs making it pvp might even sounds great as they would not need to program some AIs, scripts, bots whatever that might work or not take system resources (and in worst chases just generate difficulty by cheating)

since hardware and programming of PC and console got closer anyway you see far more multiplatform titles and not just adaptations 3 years later - thats a point reducing the giving each platform their strongpoint aspect
    as its cheaper and easier to go with a minimum viable product (and even that viable mostly isnt the same for publishers and players as it gets harder and harder finding triple AAA releases not framed or followed by shitstorm

10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I have played any of the recent ones, but they surely had local co-op back in PS3 era and stuff. I'd be extremely surprised if this was removed from those super mainstream games.

11. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Competitive Co-op is very frustrating, but I will always prefer local co-op over online multiplayer games if possible. It's just not the same without the other player being close by to share frustrations.

Friendly co-op is definitely the best co-op experience, especially with friendly fire. That's why Magicka is one of my favorite co-op games.

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooooooh, Magicka is so fun! It's really nice to just spend a long time trying to kill one another without really progressing in the story! xD

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  13. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ever tried worms ?

14. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Worms is pretty fun, but I prefer co-op campaigns over team battles.