Discussion Murdering the Initial Concept for Fanservice and other reasons

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by NekoMK2, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wanted to ask you guys opinions in this. Some manga and LN/WN sometimes altered they own Initial Concept, be it for extended the story or just for useless Fanservice. In my own opinion this kinda double edged sword since it's can be good or just brutally killed the story
    The actual reason because certain Butler manga somehow altered to much it concept in her lasted arc although certain other Butler manga finally picked up its own plot without throwing away the original premises as gag manga

Ah @Ai-chan sensei since you also a writer how your opinion in this kind of thing

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Ai chan and asriu like this.
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    This is what happens when the author is running out of ideas and he realizes most of his fans are cherry boys.

He uses fanservice.

Well, there are people in Japan out there that care about plot too, however the number of otaku that do not care about such things is simply overwhelming to the point they don't need to worry about losing the audience.

fanobody likes this.
  3. fanobody

fanobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is why i like korean more.

I Eat Monsanto and The_Follower like this.
  4. zikirewq

zikirewq [Bad Guy]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's necessary cause the writer target is the reader wish

5. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    Um... is that the correct Ai chan you're looking for?

6. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    While Korean novels and manhwa are good, their music industries are pretty much like Japan's anime industry.

NekoMK2 likes this.
  7. namanyo

namanyo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean like naruto? How the author never intended for the character Sasuke and how the editor made him so he can publish (so they sell well and have a rival cuz shonen) his story. How the story ended up being almost entirely about the clan of a character that the author never intended to create? Yup, you may know it or not but this happens a lot more often than you think especially milking the story for more money

Gitami, NekoMK2 and asriu like this.
  8. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL

9. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai yah, didn't receive notification because it needs to be capital A, anyhow, I believe fanservice can work, within reason. Personally, I don't use fanservice much in my writing, so I don't know how effective it would be. Regardless, I'd prefer if my readers read my novel for the story instead of fanservice. I have liberally used what is similar to fanservice in my two traditionally published erotica, but it's erotica in the first place, so I think that's to be expected.

To understand why there is fanservice, you must understand the culture and the readers. For mangas published in Shounen Jump for example, you must have liberal amounts of fanservice, because their readers are mostly teenage boys with raging hormones. Sure, there are readers who don't really like fanservice, but it's a minority. Whenever they do popularity polls, the majority votes always goes to ones with fanservice. What happens to the ones that lose (as in lacks fanservice)? The get axed. Because seriously, there's a lot of competition here.

Kano Yasuhiro (mangaka of Pretty Face and Mx0) had all of his mangas published by Shounen Jump axed despite being such a fun read because they didn't have two things: swords and fanservice (at least not enough fanservice). Nowadays, he has learned his lesson with Kiss x Death, and this one hasn't been axed yet, we'll just see how it goes, I guess.

American superhero comics do the same. While superhero comics are enjoyed by both young and adult, a fair amount reads for the fanservice. Let's be honest here, when the readers were young boys, did they read Wonder Woman (or Superman) to see Wonder Women kicking ass or because they got turned on by looking at Wonder Woman's tits and ass while kicking ass?

So in my opinion, fanservice is pretty much the fault of the readers primarily and not necessarily the authors and mangakas. Fanservice makes money (by avoiding being cancelled) and this is the whole reason why they write or draw in the first place. If they don't care about money, they can go for the smaller publications that pay a pittance, but has more mature audience and will likely not care about fanservice in the first place.

p/s: Bit hard to write this essay on a phone. Just finished enjoying Kobe beef in Osaka.

10. ghostcat

ghostcat Member of the Royal Society of Napping

Reading List:
    Link
    well... i was lured by the murdering part of the title (couldn't read the complete thing) and was greeted with such a text wall that almost knocked me unconscious.... so yea i lost the interest of reading all the thread.... where was i going with this?... oh right, kudos to your phonewriting ability and wish i could taste that too ai-chan....

Ai chan likes this.
  11. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Your Favourite Family Disappointment

Reading List:
    Link
    Esp when it's a harem situation and every ship has it's fans oooh boy

Kobe beeef :Q__
    no I totally didn't just comment so I can comment on Kobe beef... but it is Kobe beef

Ai chan likes this.
  12. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    I ashamed about that's m(._.)m
    I see, at last hearing from actually writer have more persuasive power XD, also sorry for incorrect writing. Set aside Fanservice but what about complete turn out in writing that make story different from original concept ?
    Somehow hearing you eating beef make hungry again lol
    Dunno about Naruto since not really read it after Shippuden but more less like that's
    I am sorry for misunderstanding then
    Writers block eh but is that seriously cable to altered the original concept ? (Wtf idol groups in Victoria era lol)
    As much I hate this reasoning but this kinda logical

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.