Discussion Mushoku Tensei is a deconstruction of Isekai

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by NZPIEFACE, Nov 22, 2017.

?

Do you agree with me?

1. Yes

61.8%
  2. No

38.2%
  1. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, at this point in time in the novel community, I believe that the majority of users who reads JP novels on a regular basis has read a few novels of Mushoku Tensei by now.
    I hope that isn't a baseless assumption that I've just made.

If it's wrong and a bunch of you haven't read it yet... just read it, it's completely translated and all.
    And for those too lazy, here's a short version of it all.
    Mushoku Tensei is essentially an isekai trash novel in its purest form. By that, I mean that they're no gimmicks to make it more interesting, it's just an isekai story. And yes, the main character is trash. The author doesn't avoid this issue though like so many other novels do, the author focuses on this trait of the main character and shoves it into our faces so that we know exactly why he died the way he did. It's wonderful really.

And for why I say this kind of novel is a deconstruction? It's because it takes itself extremely seriously. The characters in the story all seem to have at least some modicum of actual thoughts and feelings, and the main character doesn't suddenly become a paragon of justice after being scum his whole life. The story tells us what would happen to actual people when thrust into that specific situation. A deconstruction, so to say.

I've always found it interesting how some of the earlier works of a genre are usually the deconstructions, such as Evangelion and Mushoku Tensei. I just find it amazing that even after this kind of story was told, there are still so many thoughtless isekai trash harem novels which are still being written. It seriously wouldn't hurt to copy Mushoku Tensei a bit.

2. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree it sets the standard for isekai/ slice of life for the most parts. Now lets see what chaos ensues.

3. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    agreed

4. Atl92

Atl92 [God] [Devil] [Hero] [Monster]

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly don't see why this novel is so popular tbh.

HavekZero, Mizura, JustAGuy and 9 others like this.
  5. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Often times one of the first of a genre are the ones that get it right. Not because they set the standard but because the subsequent novels try to add so much that it no longer is something unique but something that has its roots in other areas completely.

Infinity novels are an exception for me. I feel the subsequent novels did a better job but that is because the didn't add things from different genres in an attempt to make something better or hide original faults... they just outright refined the art without changing it.
    This is how it should be done........... but Isekai novels do everything they aren't suppose to. Not all are bad but the genre is bogged down by the majority of them being sub-par.

Rogel17 likes this.
  6. ZachB

ZachB Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    but but but if i get to reborn to another world. I'll conquer it and have a million girls in my harem. XD

Dravileo likes this.
  7. Ryve16

Ryve16 Working Hard and Hardly Working

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate Paul. there I said it.

Nimroth likes this.
  8. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a serious thrash, similar to... say Re:Zero

It's good.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate Mushoku Tensei.. When I finished reading it, it really left me with a really lethargic feeling of not wanting to do anything... Thanks to that I ends up jeopardizing a few of my final projects. :sweating_profusely:

Sky Farrow, alamptr, kenar and 4 others like this.
  10. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    Mushoku Tensei is bad.

prongsjiisan, otaku31 and craz like this.
  11. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    Today's dinner is bird meat.. Anyone in? :blobhero:

12. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Cause harem.

Read again, never said it was good.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  13. wtfkjp

wtfkjp ASDFGGWP

Reading List:
    Link
    I like mushoku tensei, it's the first "isekai" series ive ever read(altho ive watched zero no tsukaima, it is somwhat different to the common isekai story nowadays) therefore there were no "cliche" or reused/overused ideas, and all isekai series after that has just been a bad clone for me...
    i beleive the boom of isekai genre started after that series.
    or rather the start of boom in web novel translation and machine translation releases (the start of breaking apart of community in bakatsuki :( )

Rogel17, kenar and linnil like this.
  14. Lithit

Lithit Desu~'s Little Griffin

Reading List:
    Link
    Infnity novels?
    I think the problem is the same as why the Lord of the rings books were nice and 90% of high fantasy novels are generic trash
    The founder of a novel genre has nothing to work with, they must create their tools from the ground up. This forces them to pay careful consideration to every single element of it. You can't just add elves, cause elves, or have a harem cause harem, all the major arc ans plot points have their raison d'etre, no revenge arc, cause why not, e.t.c.

Why do you hate him though, I heard he's a nice guy *cough*

15. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    if your a guy. . .
    and went to another world as new. . . .
    and it has so many beautiful women in there. .
    and damn!!
    disaster strikes!!!
    in a form of E.D. . . .
    oh the horro!!!

readerz, AMissingLinguist and wtfkjp like this.
  16. SquirFail

SquirFail The One Who Forgets, Dreamer, Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    I hated Paul when the and rudeus got reunited after the metastasis event... Paul u fucktard can't u see how ur son survived in a place where its extremely dangerous even for an adult adventurer with a child baggage and made it back alive to another continent..
    After that Paul you avatars why did u die

17. Shirai

Shirai 『 Silent ł Bored 』『 Rebel ł Butler 』

Reading List:
    Link
    For the Isekai genre, it is currently one of if not the best well written.

Story depth
    Character development and progression
    World building
    Easy to understand yet not right in your face writing style
    A more proper reaction from the MC than most Isekai novel MCs

A lot of things were done right.

18. Mopeah

Mopeah Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    eh. Is it okay to say I kinda agree, but kinda disagree? I understand that Mushoku Tensei is the archetype isekai story. It does show the readers plenty of realistic characters and decisions about different types of isekai tropes. The MC's mother initial reaction to the MC's father harem and considering it cheating which wouldn't typically happen in a harem novel before finally giving in and allowing the trope to happen. Mushoku Tensei distinctly separates the different tropes into their own sections, making the story transparent, and, maybe a deconstruction as the readers see the harem, the isolation, the traveling, and the magic in different spheres and not mushed together. Then again, from what I read, there wasn't any obvious analysis or criticism of the genre and that's where I don't really see it as a deconstruction and just as a construction of isekai with a nice packaged cover and believable characters. please correct if I'm wrong i haven't read it in years >.>

asriu, ABMAINA, otaku31 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Hazery

Hazery Missing Member

Reading List:
    Link
    because it is a first novel of many novel reader in NU read for the first time, the novel that open many of us in search of other novel, indirectly responsible in the birth of NU, and surprisingly it's completely good!

The webnovel that started everything!

20. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that's the idea, Mushoku Tensei became so popular with the masses that other author want the hitch a ride on the bandwagon. Even author whose writing style aren't suited in isekai genre, actually tries to write an Isekai genre knowing it would likely fail in the process since it has more chances than other genres out there. Also, because it is [Fantasy], being in swords and magic genre, they can come with BS magic system that you don't even need to hammer some details, because magic.

You'll like see Trash novels within Isekai novels with 1D character, 'cuz well, many amateurs are trying to bask the genre's popularity and staining it by rushed developments and wish-fulfillment BS, and would still be popular in some ways, because it is Isekai, and readers imagining in story MC's perspective their own.