My conflicting feelings for fanfiction

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ZXu2002, Aug 24, 2019.

1. ZXu2002

ZXu2002 I am a idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    So I started reading fanfiction on fanfiction.net, and it was alright because there where one or two fanfiction among a hundred which actually are well thought out and stuff, but then I came across two things. One fanfiction which started out really well, and then halfway through just randomly devolved into an incest filled harem ntr whatever whatever for no reason. The turning point was when I came across one which had on the synopsis something like “I’m limiting the harem to only 60 girls”. Like, just why. So I moved to spacebattles.net and stuff, which had in my opinion better quality and stuff and wasted a load of time there. Long story short, I got bored, stopped reading fanfiction. Today, i suddenly got interested in the original Spider-Man movies, decided to look up fanfiction for it, opened archive of our own. Why the hell are there so many unnecessary ship Fics with random adoption storyline’s, hurt, comfort or whatever, random romance, etc, etc, etc? I feel like I need to burn my eyes out with bleach after reading the 20th “Spider-Man fell in love with x but his adopted father tony stark is too possessive” or whatever.

TLDR there are some good fanfiction, but why the hell is literally everything just an unnecessary shipping story between usually two men and the occasional adoption/hurt thing mixed in and who thought that was a good idea

2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    You do realize that you can use filters on AO3, right? It’s hard to get rid of OC fics, but otherwise, it should be relatively simple to exclude any pairing of your choice.

3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're asking who thought it'd be cool if Spider-Man was gay? 'cause I think that's probably a long list of people.

Anyway, fanfiction can be pretty great. It's just a matter of finding the few gems you'll like out of a mountain of stuff that's either subpar or written for people with different tastes. You just have to accept, going into it, that you're not going to like most of what you find.

4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    finding a good fanfiction is like trying to dive in an ocean to find a needle. you will never know what you will find, well, mostly bad stuff. you might even find abandoned or sunken ships that not even supposed to exist.

even if you manage to find one, after reading it to the last chapter, you find out that it has been abandoned by the author.

6. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fanfiction's main purpose has always been to create shipping fics, to me. It's how I encountered it as a child and it's the only kind of fanfiction I'd really read, apart from very interesting crossovers.

You're just a different audience to the majority of fanfiction's readers and writers.

7. Kikiji

Kikiji May or may not be here

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why there's the custom of "don't like don't read." As much as we would all like the authors of the world to cater to our tastes, that's not gonna happen anytime soon. Like someone earlier mentioned. Filters are there for that reason.

But look at the bright side. If you ever die early and meet a sympathetic goddess, you know what to wish for now.

8. potxki

potxki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i forgot fanfiction.net still exists. Try finding fanfics in ao3 (archiveofourown.org). I find better fanfics there. ao3 deserves the Hugo Award it just received. Sometimes I read AU fanfics in fandoms i have little to no knowledge about and still find the plot understandable.
    Of course, there are still badly written fanfics there but the awesome filtering system of ao3 is a great help. I usually find gems by sorting out the works by Kudos or Hits.
    Finding good fanfics is still work though, obviously harder than finding good published fiction to read. I am reading stories from both worlds but truth be told, there are more entertaining works in fanfics. Probably because fanfic authors have more creative leeway in writing unlike published authors who have to compromise with whatever their editors need.
    Anyway, just like i have said, ao3 has awesome filtering system because of it has more comprehensive tagging system. If you hate certain genres or plot points, there's probably tags for them that you can filter away.

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  9. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    *shot to the heart* you’re definitely missing gems if you look at just these two things. QAQ (most kudos gotten for one story: 26, total: 160, most hits gotten for one story: 741, total: 2340.)

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  10. XselfesterX

XselfesterX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck on finding the gems make sure you don't find the Golden rock ones.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  11. potxki

potxki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only do these for fandoms i have no clue about, lol. Yeah, i'm thirsty for stories, why do you think i hang around novelupdates? Mygod, the quality of stories here are no better than fanfics. The only good side about webnovels are the creativity in plots, then those plots will be replicated in different stories by different authors. Character development is often non existent, lol.
    For fandoms i am familiar with, i can sit back and look for stories without the kudos filter because i am familiar with it.

12. Ordinary people

Ordinary people Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In webnovel has great fanfics too

13. potxki

potxki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, good luck is often needed. Just like finding good stories in novelupdates

14. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought spider man was already gay?
    Edit: specially the 1st three movies

15. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    Finding a good fanfiction is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Bunch of them are either garbage or dropped halfway.

ZXu2002 likes this.