Discussion My favorite novels that are not translated / barely translated

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by snorri, Jul 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. snorri

snorri Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here I want to talk about some web novels (CN novels) I like which are not yet translated or only got a few chapters translated. Most of them are Qidian novels. And since the people here don't like hardcore CN culture, I will limit the topic to the Western/Sci-fi/Otherworldly/Xianxia genres. These novels are different from the stereotypical level-up cultivation novels that are often seen on NU. If you've also read one of the following novels, you are welcome to throw your thoughts in.

1. 龙王的女婿

Novel status: Complete

Translation status: Not translated

Possible EN title: Dragon King's son-in-law

Synopsis: A highschool student accidentally saved Dragon King's daughter and was told that he had to marry her. In order to be the Dragon King's son-in-law, MC struggled to explore the magic world behind the daily life and tried to find out the meaning of his life.

Features: A light slice-of-life story with quite solid world building. The theme is based on the famous "marriage with Dragon King's daughter" of Tang Dynasty. The story happens in modern China. MC is a highschool student. The setting is similar to JP slice-of-life stories, some may find it similar to Seto no Hanayome, but MC is less beta and there's of course cultivation element. The romance is harem-style, but with decent development.

Why I like it: This is one of the first slice-of-life CN novels I read. The first one was another isekai novel about a highschool boy went into a six-gates-like world to save his girlfriend. This kind slice-of-life novels reminds me of some JP animes I like. The world building is good and MC's romance is treated properly (though harem). An easy-to-read fun novel.

2. 一仙难求

Translation status: Not translated

Possible EN title: In search of immortality

Synopsis: A disfavored orphan found out in her clan's ancestral temple that her ancestor was a powerful cultivator, and probably so was her missing father. Refusing to end up a poor humble maid, she left her home and tried to become a cultivator. Her first mentor turned out to be a cultivator trafficker, which gave her a negative first impression of the cultivators. Her past father's best friend had given orders to find her and bring her back to the sect, but she chose to run away. Struggled with her granduncle, a low-level cultivator artisan, she managed to get herself into a middle-sized cultivator sect, where she finally found the meaning of cultivation and her true love. Her real adventure to immortality thus began.

Features: This is one of the few female-MC novels that I can keep reading to the end. MC's early personal struggle as a lone, sensitive quasi-self-taught teenage cultivator-wannabe is unique and interesting. And her independent, self-driven and decisive character makes her gender less important. The author stressed on MC's quest of the meaning of cultivation, not level-up maniac or faceslapping or cruel killing, which also makes the MC's gender less bothering for male readers. The MC's love interest came out quite early and their relationship was soon fixed (no love-triangle or harem) and the romance was not the main arc, thus from the middle of the story you can regarded it as a couple's adventure story.

The background setting is MJI- : weaker than the MJI common world. No harem.

Why I like it: This novel is one of the few xianxia novels that really discuss the nature of cultivation: why do people cultivate? What does immortality mean to the mortals and to society? How does cultivation affect the mortals and society? What should the cultivators really look for? What does power mean to cultivators? etc.

3. 诡秘之主

Novel status: Ongoing (200 chapters)

Translation status: Just begin translation

EN title: Lord of the Mysteries

Synopsis:
    Hidden behind the age of steam and machine were those in quest of transcendancy. Hidden behind the veil of history and folklores were the unknown whispers that drive you to insanity. A young man woke up in mystery and tried to reveal the secret of this strange world he was in.

The MC's soul went into the warm body of Klein, a history-majoring university student fond of occult who was probably murdered by supernatural forces. He had to find out why he was killed and who killed him so as to save himself from a probable second murder attempt, for his unexpected revival had apparently surprised many. To protect himself, Klein managed to join the Night Watch, the supernatural law-enforcing branch of the Church of the Goddess of the Night. At the same time, he discovered that the rite that had led to his transmigration could bring his soul to a strange place above reality which made him a step closer to the truth of the deities and other supernatural beings.

Features & Why I like it: Great potential. Fascinating story. Real novel. Steampunk + Dark magic + unique cultivaton system. The author certainly has spent a lot on the background setting and the plot. The author has also made it clear that his goal in this novel is to bring up the exciting reading experience of discovering a new world instead of simply hasty level-up and world conquering. The pace of the story is not slow at all though. Events came one by one, revolving around the mysterious death of Klein. No info dump. The first volume is just completed and I dare say it's the best one I've seen this year. No harem so far.

4. 一世之尊

Possible EN title: Overlord of an age

Synopsis: Meng Qi was transmigrated into a little monk's body. He then found himself selected into a game by a mysterious being. He had to accomplish dangerous missions across different worlds and survive. As return, he could obtain amazing awards after the missions. Meng Qi made up his mind to escape this imposed fate along with his teamates, but he found out that things were more complicated than he thought and he had to do much more to survive from the biggest conspiracy concerning the entire universe.

Features: This novels is quite CN culture involved, but you can still enjoy the whole story without prerequisites of CN culture. The main plot is based on the Investiture-JW universe, with a meticulously-designed power-cultivation system. This is one of the few transmigration novels that actually explain the cause of MC's transmigration. The game mentioned above ressembles Terror Infinity but with original worlds. No harem.

Why I like it: The author made efforts to tell a good story with decent logic. There's not much plotholes and the transmigration and TI-game stuff all have good explanation. The subplots are interesting and add up in driving the plot.

5. 仙魔变

Possible EN title: Xian Mo Chronicle

Synopsis: The MC transmigrated into a strange world of warrior cultivation. He lived a boring childhood with an amazing secret supernatural power until he found out that he was not the first stranger to this world. The precedent transmigrator has the same supernatural power and has changed this world dramatically, but ended up missing decades ago. The MC went to the school founded by his predecessor to learn more about this world and this mysterious predecessor himself.

Feature: Great plot that keeps the readers in suspense till the very end. The whole background story is epic. There are two main parts: the first part was about the MC learned skills in the Harry-Potter-like school and grew up with friends. The second part was about the MC defending the country against intruders, usurpers and the monarch and finally discovery the story of his predecessor and the truth of the history.

The power system is MJI--: wuxia with entry-level cultivation. No harem.

Why I like it: The plot is attractive as a whole, with all the suspenses. There are filler chapters but the overall story is great. And the author is dedicated to tell a good story. The side characters are full-fledged persons who interact well. No stupid challenging young masters. The main thread is clear and compact. Some parts may be sappy but the fight scenes and war scenes are fine. The romance is decently treated.

2. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    I too have many novels like that, but i'm too lazy to learn Japanese/Chinese/Korean :blobneutral:

3. Sabruness

Sabruness [Goddess Shigure-Sama Religion's Founder-Pope]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd love to see novel no.1 translated. sounds good and fluffy to read.

4. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod [Chaotic Organizor] [Enemy of Productivity]

Reading List:
    Link
    so now just find the links to the raws of them and then put up novel pickup requests ;)

5. Azazael

Azazael   

Reading List:
    Link
    Try your luck and make pick ups threads for them. Maybe some of them will be translated.

The fourth one sounds interesting for me.