Spoiler My House of Horrors

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Aina Seira, Dec 2, 2018.

1. xblkdragonx

xblkdragonx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is Men Nan officially recruited now? Did we find out if the Red Specters with Doors, they have access to their powers via the Haunted House? Like how Spider boy can only use his power in the white dragon tunnel- can he use his powers in the haunted house version of it?

2. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I won't say Men Nan is officially recruited yet, but until he is returned to the Third Ward, he is still part of Chen Ge's war team.

As for the rest of your questions, no, we haven't found out answers to those yet.

3. xblkdragonx

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL poor Men Nan. He basically got kidnapped by Chen Ge.

4. TheBornLoser

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 702: For the last guinea pig of the new 3.5 star scenario, and one who tried to pretend to be a ghost, he is going to get "gangbanged". Not by ghosts... but by live humans this time round, LOL!

5. Narberal

Narberal 『 Pleiades 』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, hope the author would release a character list soon

Edit: wasn't there only 9 people that went? assistant+comic guy + 2 other guy, video streamer guy + his partner + 3 college student

Edit2: Yan Dannian's final ability has been revealed but still not unlock.. totally can't understand how that ability works

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  6. TheBornLoser

Reading List:
    Link

I think the last guy is the pervert that preys on Haunted House workers.

As for Yan Danian's last ability, it sounds like a "wish fulfillment" ability that is geared towards ghosts / specters (seeing as a lot of them want to get their wishes fulfilled or feel like their wishes have been fulfilled). Something similar to Xiao Xiao's soul cleansing ability. Should be interesting to see if it helps with the Suicide Hotline Operator's side mission.

7. TheBornLoser

Reading List:
    Link
    706 and 707:

1. Chen Ge has sent Female Tunnel Ghost and Men Nan back to their respective places.

2. Chen Ge contacted Zhang Wenyu (suicide hotline operator) to request for help to look for the fetus. In return, Chen Ge needs to help Zhang Wenyu with the filming of the movie, for that obsession is a very strong one.

3. Chen Ge is researching a legendary horror film that never finished production. Its director may even be trapped in the film itself (shades of Sadako... LOL!!!).

Looks like new mini-arc OTW now.

8. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just caught up to Chapter 575. Wanted to add a couple of thoughts since I found the Red Specter Zhang Wenyu pretty interesting. His introduction felt like a pivotal point in the novel ...

Background:
    - Zhang Wenyu was a Suicide Prevention Hotline Operator
    - His excessive concern and emotional attachment to callers led him to bear a huge mental burden. He was unable to maintain his professionalism and distance himself from callers.
    - His anguish at being unable to help the callers and his ridiculous messiah-complex led him to suicide ... because he thought it'd help him better understand what his callers were feeling. Definitely Jesus Christ Superstar material.
    - His irrational ideology and inheritance of the despair/grief of his callers/followers turned him into a unique Red Specter (anyone getting "Moses" vibes?)
    - There is quite a bit of material about the stigma of mental health, suicide, euthanasia, society's morbid and hypocritical fascination with death (through their insensitivity and inappropriate use of social media), stigmatization of suicide survivors, and the difficulties that suicide prevention operators face. Thought this was the best content by the author.
    - Eventually Zhang Wenyu is moved by Chen Ge's dedication to help humans/ghosts and takes a step back from his irrationality.
    - Side personal note that Zhang Wenyu's point that his callers have peace in death is mostly nonsense except for a few cases (usually those terminally ill) .... since ghosts aren't real, there's no afterlife (won't argue this point), and it really does mean the end when you're dead.

Before this chapter, we've had ghosts that formed due to:
    (1) lingering attachments to the material world,
    (2) vengeance for a wrongful death (almost always murder, rarely due to accidents),
    (3) enslavement by others (ghosts or humans).

This seems to be the first time that suicide was covered in detail. And it's pretty significant because it's only been the last 2-3 years that Western (or at least USA) culture has gotten around to openly talking about suicides and making public notices for people to speak up about at-risk individuals. Think about the recent news of Facebook 3rd party video censors who are traumatized from having to scrub Facebook of the thousands of filthy sick content everyday.
    I find it really progressive for an Asian author to tackle the subject of suicide head-on. Most Asian novels/media reports I've read have only just gotten around to talking about depression in non-stigmatized tones.

I get the sense that the author is really taking a step forward in "humanizing" ghosts. Not just as pitiful or scary entities of negative feelings. But almost like another type of human. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    TheBornLoser and SilentMoonlight like this.
  9. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @lonelytree
    Not to sound like a SJW (social justice warrior), but in the chapters with Wen Wen, maybe consider switching the wording for "retarded" to "intellectually disabled"? Western countries have signed the word change into law since 2010, kinda backwards to still use that.
    And the original Chinese raws in Chapters 577-578 referred to the kids' (and Wen Wen's father's) conditions as 疾病 or 病情, which just translates to illness/disease.

TheBornLoser likes this.
  10. TheBornLoser

Reading List:
    Link
    I have always felt that the Suicide Hotline Operator mini-arc was one of the best series of story-telling I have ever read in modern Chinese novel-dom so far. I mentioned it in one of my earlier posts in this thread, but the theme of suicide, suicide prevention, and its effects on various people is normally only explored in very serious literature, books that are incredibly emotional, depressing and mind-messing. I have never seen a "serious" discussion of the theme of suicide in a web / light novel series.... until I read this novel.

The author explored various aspects of this theme in a novel way - from the perspective of a hotline operator. Mainstream novels normally explore this theme from the perspective of the "victim", the family or the friends / social circle of the victim. Bonus marks for the resulting obsessions that turned the operator into a red specter, unique and creative angle of tackling this theme.

This is the kind of arc that makes one think (and not in the incredibly depressing way many "critically acclaimed" novels do), ponder and learn something new. And this is why this novel is a revelation compared to the other ... "lighter" stuff that is the mainstay of web-noveldom today.

Oh, and if you read the comments on the Webnovel website, quite a few readers like this mini-arc very much as well :)

Well done, author, well done. I thought your exhaustive list of mental issues from the Third Sick Hall patients was incredibly well-researched already.... this one is another feather in your cap!

And of course, thanks Lonelytree and Millie for the translation and editing.

kkgoh and lonelytree like this.
  11. TheBornLoser

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 709:

The biggest, largest, fattest chapter yet. SIX THOUSAND (6,000) CHARACTERS! WOW!!!

And .... another very touching chapter :) Goes to show that even ghosts, specters and lingering spirits have feelings, emotions and a heart too.... :D

12. lonelytree

lonelytree Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh. I purposely used that word to get people to hate the female teacher. But sure, i can change it.

kkgoh likes this.
  13. ap1001

ap1001 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, its been a fun novel, but My House of Horrors is officially dead. Due to the braindead insane policy of those old farts in CCP that wouldn't fucking die, it is now illegal to write ghosts, because it "advocates ignorance".

The novel had been deleted from Qidian's website

Hahahahaha, oh fuck those those disgusting 60 year olds that are still sucking Mao's rotten fart.

14. Narberal

Narberal 『 Pleiades 』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hope you can ask the author whether he is willing to upload it overseas.

oh shit you are right.. https://book.qidian.com/info/1012284323 fucking idiots, hopefully the author doesnt stop and upload it overseas. Damn what would happen to the book version of My House of Horror

btw can you give me link for an article about the ban?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  15. Kind Uncle Next Door

Kind Uncle Next Door Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fckng sht, anyone know what author response about this?

16. xblkdragonx

Reading List:
    Link
    Noooo! This is actually a novel that I didn't mind that was over 600 chapters. He kept things fresh and interesting. I hope the author doesn't stop writing.

17. TheBornLoser

Reading List:
    Link
    I just saw the news.

F**********************************************************************************K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. TheBornLoser

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel has a massive following on Qidian. Hopefully, these guys speak up and give the Censorship Department a good and thorough bashing for the utter idiocy they (Censorship Department) have displayed so far.

Do ****ing imbecilic!

19. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    A group of brain dead old farts... Fantasy novels cannot have fantasy... First they killed Reverend Insanity and now this... Just another prove that governments are always enemies of citizens and it does not matter which country you are in, whether it is USA, Russia or China... They just want to brainwash people so they could stay in power, though if at least 1% of citizens fought back, it would be more than enough to crush those governments. I could understand ban of religious texts (though I do agree that these "advocate ignorance") because people still treat those fairy tales as real truth, but this is fantasy and everyone knows it is just a fantasy story...

20. TheBornLoser

Reading List:
    Link
    From lonelytree and Millie's Discord channel:

millman99Today at 5:45 PM
    I've asked people about it
    They're looking into it
    [​IMG]
    TheBornLoserToday at 5:46 PM
    Thanks @millman97
    millman99Today at 5:47 PM
    [​IMG]
    millman99Today at 5:54 PM
    It will definitely resume
    Soon, hopefully next week
    ThormentedToday at 5:56 PM
    ... That's a new one, can't say I expected that sort of reasoning at all
    DeelahToday at 5:57 PM
    Wait what?
    [​IMG] they can't stop this
    millman99Today at 5:57 PM
    I spoke to the WN content editor who's in contact with the author and the CN content editor
    So it's legit info
    No need to panic [​IMG]
    DeelahToday at 6:00 PM
    [​IMG] thanks Millie

Crazy Reader, kkgoh and xblkdragonx like this.