Discussion My irritation with perfection

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I get irritated at novels with perfect MC's or novels that try to show an imperfect MC as being perfect.
    I have a few examples for this:

Long Haochen
    Ideal knight, not greedy and thinks about the bigger picture, fights evil demons to save the world. I dislike him. He lacks...personality. Humans are innately imperfect. It is next to impossible for me to connect with this type of MC. I do not see where his motivation comes from. His dad basically handed him a sword and said "demons are evil. Go kill them" (I'm exaggerating but more or less like that). I connect with his love interest, the yandere, more then him. He's too...unhumanlike.

Nie Li, Lin Feng, Yun Che
    No matter how you may feel about these novels (IMO, I don't ike any of them), you have to admit the characters have major flaws in their personality, right? Arrogance, hypocrisy, lust (might as well), wrath. These are ordinary flaws people have, it's what makes them human. But the novels stresses how perfect the MC is. Even though it is very evident from their actions that they are a huge a-hole, the author's go out of their way to make them seem like awe-inspiring heroes. I feel nauseous at times, reading the numerous praises given to this character. I think authors do that for three reasons: word count, their characterization ability is so extremely poor that they need to remind people that the MC is supposed to be great, and they want to brainwash readers into actually thinking these characters are great people.

I prefer MC I can relate to and like.

Meh, let the hate comments pour in now.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    mir, estelion, drewjn and 13 others like this.
  2. Casul Reader

Casul Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like Lin Feng from PMG. I'm serious about that lol.
    And yes, I can see your point. But I see the reason being is that novels are a way for authors to portray their ideal characters? The reason for being those characteristics. So you really can't blame them, but at the same time, you really 'can' blame them.

3. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    Their ideal characters are flawed to begin with. They are just covering it up. If your MC is an a-hole, let him be an a-hole. Don't try to twist him into a nice person when clearly he's an a-hole.

mir, Gitami, Random and 2 others like this.
  4. Rumanshi

Rumanshi 『Demon Lord』『ルマンし』

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no such thing as perfection. Apply a principle such as 'perfection' in a novel, which is to do with perception, and many would get irritated.

Enigma likes this.
  5. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    I also find "smart" MCs that aren't actually very smart frustrating.

mir, Cancel, Gitami and 9 others like this.
  6. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow I actually agree with you for once parth. I like reading Chinese novels, but I come close to dropping them for those reasons you just mentioned, most of the time I just ignore these defects and keep reading. for divine thrones however I couldn't tolerate it anymore and I'm getting close to that point on child of light.

mir likes this.
  7. Casul Reader

Casul Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that just shows that some Authors try to turn a blind eye to these faults? An example of that could be the Author of Close Combat Mage and his justification of the MC. I usually drop novels like the ones you've stated, but PMG and MGA hold a special and dear place in my heart, so I can't really drop them.

8. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    Nobody is perfect except the characters authors make. Hahahah! You either hate them or love to be them!

Perhaps that’s the reason why they are written to be perfect. The authors want to be them!

9. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    sick thread

10. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm don't like to be so perfect to
    but I was born like this, I can't do nothing

11. Rumanshi

Rumanshi 『Demon Lord』『ルマンし』

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, I think you're disregarding the meaning of the word perfect here.
    "having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be."
    For the authors, perfect includes the characteristics which you describe as 'flawed'. The author believes his 'a-hole' character is perfect, so he isn't actually covering anything up, as such.

Edit: Rather, perhaps, they don't even know that it's a bad trait. *shrugs*

Scarecrow and VixenKiss like this.
  12. saffu

saffu dead

Reading List:
    Link
    YES HE SAID IT

YES

I HAVE NOTHING TO ADD TO THIS, THE CIRCLEJERK HAS TURNED IN MY FAVOUR

Shio and Gunji Murgi like this.
  13. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think that Long Haochen is too perfect. I think he is flawed in his own way, it just happens to be a way you don't relate to, but to me he just seems like a character that always puts forth his best. And in his case that means pursuing an almost lawful good alignment. He doesn't question what the people from the alliance have told him. As far as I am concerned that is an extreme flaw. For me there has always been an undercurrent in that story that, maybe, just maybe mind you, Long Haochen will end up being at odds with the temple alliance. In that moment I think he will show the same qualities he always has. He has never been a particularly thoughtful character, he misses Cai'ers jealousy and like I said doesn't question the way he was raised. Early on his motivation was to help his mother, after the attack on his village his motivation was to prevent that sort of thing from happening again. In essence I feel as though his greatest flaw will turn out to be his so called perfection. At least I hope that is what happens.

I can't be the only person doubting the temple alliance is as 'good' as it seems on the surface. I feel like there are events from the past that will show it to be a very hypocritical group.

Foxil likes this.
  14. NoxDobber

NoxDobber 『Resident Dark God』

Reading List:
    Link
    Fumu, your feeling are acknowledged.:notworthy::coffee:

15. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Truthfully, Ive began to grow bored of the generic xianxias. All the novel about is just an ego boosting, getting strong, kill people, rob people, getting treasures, braging his genius title, revenge, rape, getting girls.. while the story floats around without any clear purposes except to get stronger.. and the villain pop out of nowhere.. or a damsell in distress plot.
    Though something thats uniquely told like ttnh are still welcomed
    . Wouldnt give a fuck anymore even if qidian licensed all chinese novel tbh.

Scarecrow likes this.
  16. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, yeah "so-called" perfection. Been pissed since he let go of the fact that Cai'er's mom almost sent him to his death.
    Yep. I see it the same way.

17. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with both parts.

I hate perfect characters that have a solution to everything yet have no flaw. Its very boring character development.

Although theres alot of novels with those types of characters. Like death march where the mc has few flaws but the majority of the time which is the most appealing is the growth of the people around him.

Those types of novels i dont mind.

But novels like mc with smart phone or the dude backed by 20 different god blessings and slimes just makes me want to rip out my hair.

LazyLuong likes this.
  18. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I like LHC, isn't it strange? usually I hate a good hearted mc

19. ramzawing

ramzawing 【The heretic】

Reading List:
    Link
    I share the same opinion with you, i like sywz a lot but i admit it maybe more becouse of Cai'er, the protagonist is a little shallow, and the same goes to the protagonists that were supreme cultivators or something else that got reicarnated, they most likely never have a setback and the story just shove how awesome they are.. for me thats just bullshit, i like some op protagonists, i liked Yun Che until the burning heaven clan massacre , and its not becouse it was something "evil" it was something unecessary and the way the author put it to be something right for the mc to do it, even tough there was no need to do that, he could only kill the top brass and there would never be a treat from them anymore... i will refrain to talk about Nie Li, cant like that novel... i guess i deviated a little (i dont know, almost sleeping here and just writing everything im thinking) but i guess to a protagonist be good he have to be more human in the aspect that everyone have good and bad things, and a novel that try to masque the bad things usually gets borring quickly.(sorry for the bad english, im so sleapy that i didnt focused enough to write correctly)

20. saffu

saffu dead

Reading List:
    Link
    yes yes correct

story-wise, there is honestly nothing wrong with your MC being an asshole, or a rapist, or a serial killer. It's the way the author presents him that is the problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.