Discussion My irritation with perfection

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    seconded

2. Joad

Joad Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, the post just feels like you are trying to hate the series you like and praise the one that you love lol. It's not the first time you have done it, so it makes it a lot more obvious.

The examples were quite vague. Most of the praise are given for their strength, not characters minus lin feng in which crowd believes killing is right.

Other things are similar to what every novel do like in black lands on issth author keep trying to justify meng hao killing as normal thing cause everyone does it.

3. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's was like 1 AM when I wrote this. Sue me. Anything can be justified. I happen to find those novel's justification to be shitty.

I removed them.

Joad likes this.
  4. Lazybum0

Lazybum0 Cheers darlin'

Reading List:
    Link
    I completely agree , it's what i don't like from 75% CN (don't ask me where i got such a precise porcentage xD) , i don't have a problem with dark protagonist like Wang Ling (Xian ni) or Linley (Warlock of the Magus World) becouse the author doesn't try to justify them as heroes or some BS , whereas in a lot of CN the author tries so hard to justify the actions of the mc, BS.

5. makenai89

makenai89 The Divine Procrastinator

Reading List:
    Link
    Character is related to someone's behavior, not what people said someone is like. However, some authors probably mistook the two. For example, one author maybe thought that as long as it was mentioned that a certain MC is heroic and devoted, then he instantly becomes heroic and devoted to his lovers...even if his actions don't say so. IMO, a good characterization should indicate consistent behavior, not simply crowd recognition.

Shio and Parth37955 like this.
  6. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than removing your opion everytime someone accuse you of being partial, I think it's better to let them be. They are your opinion after all. Since you have decided to post them, there's no point in deleting them.

I agree with perfect character feels boring. Especially in a novel without strong plot to cover the MC's lack of character. I have no problem with strong/OP protagonist, but the world has never been so simple, all problem could be resolved with power/knowledge from previous life/modern world.
    Quoting Ashina Sun From choukakou "I used to think that when I can't do something, it's because I didn't try hard enough. It is only now that I realised. There are many thing that I can't do, even if I risk my life."

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Gitami and Arcturus like this.
  7. little king

little king Ruler of Sloth [Neko-form]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yun Che's gonna rape you guys~

8. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Parth, no offense, but grow a damn backbone. If you're going to post your opinion, do it and do it with pride.

9. Eternal Liar

Eternal Liar [Forever Alone Sect Founder]

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if it is an opinion the present you found to be unacceptable?

10. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    But he doesn't. He deleted it to appease others since he wanted to try and keep a more neutral position as a moderator

drewjn, Westeller and VixenKiss like this.
  11. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think a character needs to be an asshole, a drug addict, a rapist, or have severe anger management issues to be a regular human being. So I strongly disagree with the idea that we need "flawed" characters in that sense. That sort of thinking is retarded, and I'll repeat that to the face of anyone who thinks otherwise. (Practicing this backbone thing that cat is going on about Parth not having.)

Now, that aside, I think perfection is a character flaw in and of itself. Goodness, and all that. When a character is too good, too honorable, they're already flawed. The chivalrous knight is always backstabbed, y'know, and a person without a backbone, like Parth, can't make tough decisions. When the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, they'd still try to save that few, and lose everyone. Well.. things like that happening usually change the whole "too good" aspect of the character.

drewjn likes this.
  12. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >_> a person too honest can get stabbed too...watch your back...

drewjn and Westeller like this.
  13. drewjn

drewjn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The basic issue with the idea of perfection is in the very point that it is an ideal personified. Perfect at what? Perfection is so heavily based on the viewpoint of the individual, or the culture, that it is like commenting on common sense. The only thing common about it is that everyone has some form of it; we just can never agree on it and get confused that no one else seems to have it.

You also hit the nail on the head that humans by their very nature (freedom of thought) are imperfect. Perfection is a goal, usually one that can never be reached. Heck, if you do have a 'perfect mc' then in all technicality, you are removing humanity from the character. After all, how can we connect with a person that is so wholesomely unrealistic?

I find when someone uses the term of perfection as a kind of taboo, especially if the subject of it is left open ended. Unless it is defined and quantified, it's use would then be based off a strange combination of ignorance and arrogance. Hence is why I think so many of these mc's and stories as grossly hypocritical, yet perfect, reflect that point so well. Then again, that is entirely my viewpoint and understanding.

14. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes a "good" character is a really great character. Itkovian is one of my all-time favorite characters and I won't say he's perfectly good but he's pretty damn heroic and his philosophy is very forgiving as well.
    He even "ascends" into a kind of god-like figure who is called the Redeemer who basically is a god about saving people and no one being beyond redemption

drewjn likes this.
  15. drewjn

drewjn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy f... Someone else who reads Erikson/Esslemont?

Just don't forget when he ascends and the troubles he gets trying to figure out his role. That being said, you got to love the crazy ones like Iskaral Pust.

16. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    There's several of us on the forum actually. I'm probably one of the more outspoken readers and proponents of western fantasy though, particularly Malazan (which is probably my favorite series).

Kruppe, Tehol and Pust are great. :)

drewjn likes this.
  17. drewjn

drewjn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Easily the best. Sanderson, Rothfuss, Donaldson, among many others, are absolutely great, but the Malazan series hits so many notes freaking exquisitely. It always saddens me to no end how little recognition it gets...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.