My Laptop's Battery Can't Be Charged

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Jevanka926, Feb 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jevanka926

Jevanka926 Grumpy and Awkward <3

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I'm using Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming and I admit that I'm using it very sloppily (dropped it twice, countless dust coming in, rarely using it on my table and put it on my bed instead). For a couple months the battery life has decreased but I'm pretty calm about it. I mean, I'm aware that I use really really sloppily, my laptop might even kill me if it were alive.

But these last couple months, my laptop is being weird because it doesn't instantly charged when I plug in the charger. It will only show (plugged in). To make it charged, I usually straighten the charger or fold it and straighten it again.

Last night, I had charged my laptop before it warned me of low batteries. I just do it like usual, but then I became panicked because no matter what I do, the (pluggedd in) sign is still there and my laptop stays in 10%. I'm currrently writing on my laptop that only has 10%.

I'm in a serious trouble rn. There's no Dell service center in my city. Which mean, I need to bring this thing out of my island, go to the main island and fix it there. BUT I HAVE AN IMPORTANT TEST FOR MY ENROLLMENT ON SUNDAY, OH GOD WHYYY. :blob_teary:

I'm a dummie in tech, can anyone suggest me what to do? I've searched in the internet what to do but they all seemed impossible for me. My charger is plugged in correctly, I try my best so they won't be tangled, the adaptor is fine. I don't how to check my battery (never done it and I prefer not to do it myself since I might ruin it instead).

Is it okay if I just plug in my charger whenever I need my laptop?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  2. char

char Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You could try pulling your battery off the laptop and clean the contacts of both the computer and battery (try using a pencil eraser). This is the easiest thing to try (it worked for me a few years ago).

SuouNono and Jevanka926 like this.
  3. livorino

livorino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try throwing it down from the 2nd floor.

4. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    The same thing happened to me last year on the laptop I'm literally using right now.

The cord is fine, and the laptop is just at 0%, (plugged in, not charging). Pretty sure the battery just broke on mine, and I couldn't be assed to fix it.
    Legend has it, the laptop stays here like a goddamn anchor.

Jevanka926 likes this.
  5. Kiari

Kiari Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably dead battery, just remove it and use the laptop without the battery. It also might (often) improve your laptop performance while at it too.

I usually remove the battery when Im use them at home and attach it back when necessary.

Jevanka926 likes this.
  6. Moon Shadow

Moon Shadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have any friends, relatives, or close neighbors with a laptop? Maybe you could borrow theirs just to do the exam until you can get yours fixed.

TXHY, Jevanka926 and lavendidi like this.
  7. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    if the battery can be removed, clean the contacts and plug it again, if the laptop works with the AC charger, but the battery doesn't charge, then the battery is probably dead, and you will need to replace it.

Jevanka926 likes this.
  8. lavendidi

lavendidi First of Her Name, Lover of Cliches

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably dead battery or the charger's ( I don't know what's it called)- the big square/rectangle thing has run out of something(again, I'm a semi comp dummy that has somehow survived with their 7 year old secondhand laptop lol). I suggest doing the recommended fixes above or just buy a new charger instead.

Jevanka926 likes this.
  9. KnackHD

KnackHD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Battery have life cycle, so you can't avoid. The best thing is to buy a new battery. If it's removable it will be easy. If it's not, you can use screwdriver and try to replace it(Not recommended for amateur). So in my opinion the best course of action is go to repair center. For the exam, if your laptop can be used with the adapter plug in then use it. If not, try to borrow someone else Laptop.

TXHY and Jevanka926 like this.
  10. Jevanka926

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you do it? Do you mean I just have to rub the contacts with an eraser? How? Tysm <3
    Yeah, not gonna happen. I can't afford to buy a new one
    Because we have to study online everyone needs their laptops, I fought with my sister last night and she may ignore me for a couple months.
    Tysm <3. Will I be able to get my battery fixed in ordinary service centers (unoffcial service centers)?

11. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the battery would charge when you fiddled with the wire, then the battery itself is probably fine. So... The wire is damaged or the port is damaged. Your best hope for an easy, immediate fix is that the port is clogged with dust, I suppose - try cleaning it out first. Y'know, the hole the power cord plugs into, yo. Spray air, cotton swab, tweezers maybe. Something like that. Sometimes it's deceptively difficult to clear out dust, especially in ports like that - plugging things in compacts the dust and makes the port artificially shallow, and the dust resistant to removal.

If the battery is just dying, I'm not sure why fiddling with the wire would have made it charge.

GrimVeilRule and Jevanka926 like this.
  12. Jevanka926

Reading List:
    Link
    That's exactly what I worry the most. I'm afraid I'll have to channge the charger and that sounds like a lot of work. I hope it's nothing serious

13. KnackHD

KnackHD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the repairman is decent it's actually okay. It's literally just few screws and in modern laptop, the battery only hold by few screws and plug in. So they only need to plug it out and plug in the new one. The problem is the availability of the battery. If your laptop is rare, they usually order the battery on demand. It can take few days of even week for the battery to arrive.

Jevanka926 likes this.
  14. Jevanka926

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you, I think I should call them first then..

15. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    If the problem is the charger you will know if you try connecting your charger on another laptop. if the battery is faulty and your computer is new you can get them to give you a new battery if you bought your computer from a store. If the battery is faulty you can try and buy a used one from ebay or amazon for a lot cheaper than a new one, but don't expect it to lost more than 3-5 years depending on how well the battery has been maintained.

Never leave your laptop charging all night nor in hot places it kills the battery. to get the most out of a battery make sure to only charge it when it's around 20% left and once a month let it run to like 2-5% helps keep your battery healthy. If your having drain issues try killing programs from starting up sometimes one app or service could cause battery to drain much faster than normal.

overall test out the charger first it not too hard to take to a store if no one around you has a laptop that can be used to test and take the battery too some store test batteries for you specially repair shops can help with this if you don't have equipment to test electronics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LC...833158?hash=item343d3eebc6:g:FHsAAOSwzM5gOF8g <--- ideal for testing any electrical equipment.

Westeller and Jevanka926 like this.
  16. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    It happens with some batteries that comes with a circuit that counts the number of charge/discharge cycles, the battery could be still good, but it that circuit "filled" the counter, it won't pass charge to the battery, but sometimes when it overheats could allow it, there are threads about the topic.

remove battery plug charger, power on the laptop, if the charger is damaged it won't turn on. If it turns on, just use the laptop plugged to the charger, and buy a battery replacement later when you can afford it.

Jevanka926 likes this.
  17. Jevanka926

Reading List:
    Link
    Tysm for the advices <3

18. TXHY

TXHY Normal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about.... borrowing other's charger and use it at least during your exam? Even better If there's someone you know who has the same brand laptop (usually the charger's the same), or if there isn't any, just try any random laptop charger you can get your hands on which has the same plug size.
    Well, but this is just a temporary measure though, you still need to do things suggested above for longer term...

19. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sounds crazy that the electricity will go under if you charge your laptop.

Is it possible to ask your family to turn off the AC while you take your test? Giving up a few second of comfort should be nothing. Your family should be able to understand too, since it's an important test

20. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its most likely a dead battery or faulty charger and will be fixed once you change it. But since you need it asap, just plug the charge and use it like usual, also turn off an air conditioner or two just for your exam since it's important and you have no time to fix it for now. Using a laptop with plugged in charger won't damage your laptop unless its a very very old laptop.

In fact I have left my old laptop for close to a year with my charger plugged in, without sleep nor hibernating just let it on 24/7. Nothing broke, not even the battery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.