Discussion My problem with cultivation novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MH2, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really a rant but I want ask others what they think
    In the past, when I was out of things to read, I decided to read some cultivation stories because chapters are numerous plus many people like them and I started out with Tales of demons and Gods and I liked it.... until chapter 300 when I lost interest and I just thought that this novel isn't for me
    Picked up Close combat mage , reached in the 100s then dropped
    So after a while I picked up Thunder martial and after 40 chapters I dropped it too
    Then Invincible conquerer, about 30 chapters and then dropped
    Then A Will Eternal( had an amazing rating), 40 chapters and dropped( even though I enjoyed it at the beginning alot)

I felt like I am reading the same novel over and over again, it's like someone rearranged the furniture
    MC finds incredibly OP treasure(s), MC looks weak but hides his strength because of stupid reasons, MC is ridculed immensely because he is the MC and then shocks everybody, a wild arrogant young master appears, he wants to rape the MC's gurl(cuz he is arrogant), MC offends the young master cuz he didn't let him rape his gurl(hmm logic?), MC trains and beats him up, rinse and repeat

Of course there are bits that are different but I think I made my point
    We don't really get an explanation on where the hell did such a preciou treasure came from and the author doesn't bother to care alot about it
    I mean he could make it so that the MC was being manipulated or his father or mother gave him this treasure at a heavy cost but he just got lucky
    And sometimes the author pushes it and if the MC just takes a stroll through the mountain he will find this rare super ultra ying yang fruit that has been dormant for millions of years and nobody noticed.
    I thought why the author doesn't give the villains some depth about their character, maybe a trauma or a tragic childhood that makes him act like this, but instead we get that he is just arrogant and horny
    And the MC represents justice
    And a girl's talent is directly proportional to her beauty
    The hotter she is the more talented she is
    But seriously, I find so much wasted potential in these novels, from the villains to the romance to the fight scenes( Sometimes I don't get whats going, making moves with big names like heavenly defying meteorite galactic punch version 3.0)
    If the author focused on the characters and slowly developed them and showed us the readers what they dream, their past, their beliefs, aspirations, and make them grow on us I believe it would make such a great novel but all we get is a 3000+ chapter novel with the same cycle over and over again
    Honestly, one good romance story between a man and a woman is a thousand times better than a harem with 100 beautiful girls and conquering girls is just for douche bags honestly( the ones that are just horny and want to see how far they can go) however the latter can add so much drama and feels to the novels and improves the plot immensely

Ok, this became a rant(didn't intend to at first), sorry

2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than a rant, it's more like you're just stating the obvious.

Cryarc, Omnicast, nick1mname and 8 others like this.
  3. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    uhmm... no.

4. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't really deny that one

Deleted member 32451 likes this.
  5. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol we know your pain~ just let it out~ eventually, the creative juice will run out and novels do have the tendency to be cut and paste, just like how CN copied the Amazing World of Gumball. Thus, after much reading, you will reach a stage of apathy.

Cryarc, shovel, xViper and 1 other person like this.
  6. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhmmm... K

7. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait what?!
    They copied gumball, where?

Deleted member 32451 likes this.
  8. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There're a lot of commonalities between some of the novels around here, for sure. Personally, I enjoy the small differences... but if you can't look past the similarities, you might want to just stop reading those novels for awhile. Read something else.

9. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    KyleXreX, Westeller and Nyamsus like this.
  10. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean I want to love these novels
    Many people translate them and many people read and like them
    And usually they have alot of chapters which are perfect for binge reading

11. RedKaiser

RedKaiser [PATH OF HEAVEN] [RULER OF ALL]

Reading List:
    Link
    Normal pattern.. CN's novel attitude about villain is taken from the history.. We live in modern world might not comprehend but its happen..
    Everything else.. Plot armor

runsing likes this.
  12. Quillink

Quillink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a rant, is every day b*tch about novels day on here?

FlameE, Risus and runsing like this.
  13. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Your right.. It feels like almost every CN I've read fails at some point when it starts off really well. That's why I love Authors like I Eat Tomatoes or the author of Soul land or Er Gen. They always do something new at least.
    I'm also getting tired of generic Harems... Its predictable and girls fall in love with no reason.. Sigh. That's why I treasure Dao Companion tag lol. Its a lot more interesting.. But yeah I feel your pain

MH2 likes this.
  14. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    A trope isn't a trope if it isn't used frequently.

Based on your ideas, I would say you might have read some cultivation novels, but not necessarily a lot, nor from the whole spectrum of different cultivation novels.

Beauty isn't necessarily proportional to talent, but even if they're extremely talented, unless they're beautiful, they'll have a hard time finding actual love, rather than marrying for benefits. A'Gui from woc is... well, talented, but most of her is somewhat marring her beauty. Though, her feet are supposedly extremely lovely, so that could imply how the rest of her would be if she was healthy. Though ,people do marry for good genes there, and repeat that enough times and you'll get a lot of pretty people. And any family with talented people can amass wealth which can allow them to buy the stuff necessary to maintain that beauty easily.

True, there are some novels with over 3000 chapters, but name one which currently has reached that stage in the translations.

I wouldn't say all the MCs are 'justice', but many of them are more about it than any random young master who thinks they're god's gift to women.

Cryarc, shovel, MH2 and 3 others like this.
  16. Nordic

Nordic The Lazy Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    All novels besides A Will Eternal are some of the worst novels translated if you ask me, I don't want sell you that other novels will suit you better but most with most of them being trash imo then maybe read actually well recommended novels like TTNH and WoC.

Dusk likes this.
  17. Luckisnotexuse

Luckisnotexuse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try
    Tales of the reincarnated lord
    history's #1 founder
    Dark king
    Revolution of the 8th class mage
    Age of the Heroes -RR
    Forgotten conqueror- RR

18. Dusk

Dusk Monochrome

Reading List:
    Link
    Kay, moving on...
    Just another person who got sick of Xuanhuan.

19. xViper

xViper Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Until the apathy reaches a high enough level to make you suffer by MTLing

20. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    First it's every body not every day
    Second of all, this is a discussion about novels, if we don't talk about novels then what do we do exactly?
    Sure nagging about novels is not the way to go but it helps me vent and find others who think the same as me
    I am generally new on this site and before I barely knew any one who read novels and usually kept my thoughts to myself because I have no way to express them but then I joined this forum and found others who share my thoughts
    I understand that probably there is a thread which is similar to this but I guess I wanted to express it in my own way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.