My Sense of Emotional Scene Is Messed Up

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by GDLiZy, Aug 28, 2019.

1. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    So, a review complained that my story has too much downwards abyss, and the MC has been kicked down for too many times.

Which, to be honest, is true, but there are also much little joy and happiness before/after the tragedies. Even until the most recent chapters, the MC did not lose anyone of significance yet. He got a wife, a lead to his life-long goal. Overall, I think it's balanced if not slightly lean on the darker tone. ( Can't help it )

However, he said that the tragedies are constantly escalating and that the MC never got any breaks, only the deeper pits to drag him down. He even unofficially crowned my book as "the most completely miserable (MC) book I've EVER read.".

But hey, he said that the last ten chapters that he read were "mind-numbingly detailed horror with brief glimpses of happiness" then "only for it to culminate in a giant *Family-not-friendly* YOU". He also is amazed by how much pure F-word'ing suffering the author put my lovely MC through

In the end, he gave me 3-star for my tragedies.
    Tragedy.PNG Please, someone, go upvote the review, I wanted it to be my first review so that the readers knew what to expect.
    LINK: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/20386/myriad-life

TLDR: Someone said my story is too depressing and compliment my horror detail.

Anyway, I thought that I put in many happy moments to counteract the tragedy, but it seems that my sense of emotions is so depressing that the readers still think that it has too much suffering than joy. HELP ME BEFORE I DO SOMETHING WORSE

Closing remark. In the end, this piece of a review, it made my day and made me realise something. I, as the author, enjoy the knowledge of someone getting mad at the suffering I threw at the MC. I pretty much feast on the fury of my readers.

I think, that if the readers hated me because I caused too much suffering for the MC, then at least I have some bare minimum writing skill.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    reagents 11 likes this.
  2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    You might wanna edit in a link to your novel <.<

Zone Q11 likes this.
  3. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp, I forgot :blobReach:

4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like you have a black powder fan who’s read “The Reader and the Protagonist Definitely Have To Be In True Love” and is hoping to transmigrate to your novel to become your MC’s true love. :cookie:

GDLiZy and Envoy like this.
  5. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't read it. Guess I'll check them out.

6. Pierrot

Pierrot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A writing teacher once told me that it's not just the readers who choose what books and authors they want to read, but the authors also choose their readers. Even famous authors will have people complain about their books.

Some people dig horror. My friend writes horror, and her stories are awesome.

GDLiZy likes this.
  7. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    what?!! a "mind-numbingly detailed horror with brief glimpses of happiness" kind of story?!!

How could i haven't torture my heart with this yet?!

brb

GDLiZy likes this.