Spoiler My sister told me to give up my fiance

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Aquaa, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Irie

Irie Internet Bystander

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh how was he manipulated? What I got was that he initially decided on MC as his fiancee because not only was her house one of the top reigning duke houses (which the 2nd prince's mother was from another one, he needed the backing), she was also the best candidate in terms of behavior and skills. Then when her father asked for permission to change the fiancee, he agreed because he thought it would benefit him in the future to have the duke owe him a favour. Also like Aquaa said he didn't bother checking and just assumed if the duke house can produce such top tier daughter the other one would be similar, which I agree makes him an idiot anyway.

2. haqpiness

haqpiness Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! Could you tell me please what will happen to her sister?

Shizun likes this.
  3. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait you mean nobles which are known for being scheming assholes are being scheming assholes? And also the fact that his stepmother who's son is a favourite for the throne suggested the fiance change, and that didn't tip him off.
    He should know the political implications of breaking off a marriage for the younger sister. And what, he didnt know about the little sisters personaliy before he got married? Hes really shortsighted and runs on assumptions. And I dont think that's a good quality in a soon to be king.

4. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where does that come from? I am using a MTL on the chapter from his perspective (which means things can be missed) and it mentions nothing about her being involved in the change of fiances. Just him and the girls family.

spchntrt and Irie like this.
  5. Irie

Irie Internet Bystander

Reading List:
    Link
    After ML conquered country B he sent MC back to country A after bringing her over, thinking it would be safer for her to stay in a country that is currently at peace. She went back as an envoy for country B, lands in castle of country A on a smaller dragon (made? by ML) that does not speak human speech, gets stabbed by panicked guard, passes out and wakes up in a guestroom bed short while later.

Father barges in telling her to stop her nonsense when she states what happened to country B and how she's there to establish ties with the country. He doesn't believe her and was angry that she ran away from her duty and wants to send her to a monastery since she is shaming the family. At this point MC already let go of her obsession for acceptance from her parents and doesn't mind cutting ties with her family(which she did). Sister and prince enters, sister acts like a saint faking happiness for her being alive, looks smug hearing MC is someone's servant but freaks out when learns that MC is going to be queen of country B.

MC asks 1st prince for audience with king and prince notices how determined and confident MC looks compared to how she was before. In the audience room after listening to MC the king insulted her, saying her words cannot be trusted as 1st prince's rejected fiancee who ended up a dragon bride and since they just learnt about ML's existence few days prior from the head mage dude (Chris? they met him in his secret house in the forest, which he was living in to skip work as protest) how can he conquer a country so fast. Chris tried to defend her but the king says its for the country or smth. MC deduced that the king doesn't want her to be in an advantageous position. She also noticed 1st prince looked upset like he didn't know this was going to happen.

While the room is filled with nobles dissing MC the sister starts her saint mode saying it's their house responsibility for not knowing how MC was feeling and just sent her to be the dragon bride, cue green tea bitch "forgive my sister" tears. ML enters stage top through the ceiling in dragon form shortly after speaking through MC's mouth after observing the situation through MC's eyes. ML decides to take over the country, Chris is the only one who shows loyalty to the country by trying to protect royalty by creating a barrier but gets swept aside. Father shouts at MC to stop ML, she responds by attempting to kill her father on the grounds that if the reigning dukes are eliminated it would be easier to control the nobles or smth. ML stops her (alrd in human form) and doesn't want her to go through that as it would end up hurting herself.

Jill is made to stay in the castle to monitor things so she makes a clone-not-clone? for MC that can communicate with each other freely. When they're about to leave the sister offers herself as servant aka really a wife for ML. Saying how she doesn't want to be 1st prince fiancee when he wont be king anymore and accuses MC for using ML to ruin the country all for the sake of taking revenge on the sister out of jealousy, she's always interfering with her happiness. (Man it got pretty annoying to read this chapter now that I'm looking at it again, the sister is full on green tea bitch mode to the max here) ML wanted to kill the sister, he grabbed her neck and was about to choke her to death but MC stopped him saying she's still her sister no matter what. So he just throws her away *bone breaking noises*.

Well that got alot longer than I wanted...

Tldr
    she lives, in the dungeons of country A's castle with her parents.

6. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    Oof. What a psychotic family. It a wonder she turned out sane

The thing that irks me though and it's not just a complaint of this novel but most jp novels in general is that the antagonists never get character development. They remain the same ole cunt they were at the beggining. I like media where yes the antagonist is "evil" and you know why. You can see how they became like that. Instead of shallow high school reasons like jealousy. If there ever was a jp novel that had an antagonist like that I'd love too read it

But it seems that the JP audience want a hateable antagonist so they can cheer for the protagonist more and dont have to feel guilty about hating them. So an easy way out

But eh. If the intended audience wants that what can you do./rant end

7. Irie

Irie Internet Bystander

Reading List:
    Link
    Turning sorta yandere-esque over a dragon who saved her life after she attempted suicide is questionable whether she's truly of sound mind :hmm:

I think flat antagonists aren't just limited to JP novels, I see them alot in CN ...I dont read much KR novels (or rather any that is already completed) to say the same about it but it probably isn't limited to just one certain language. I guess its because these are just web novels, which are like the junk food sort of entertainment for light reading so I guess the audience goes into reading these without wanting to think too much? Take a break from reality and all the problems that come with it or anything that reminds them of it and all that. Its just their guilty pleasure to read about OP harem protagonist going around doing whatever they want, as an example. It also probably has to do with how the more popular novels influence the newer novels that come out since popular doesn't necessarily correlate to a quality tier novel. Well that's my take on it at least based on observation of mostly people stating their opinions on why they think some shitty novels on NU are so popular.

But a JP novel where the antagonist gets character development huh, Shini Yasui Kōshaku Reijō to Shichi-nin no Kikōshi comes to mind but I get the feeling you've probably heard of it already.

8. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda concur. These are not your typical novels where you get to analyze every part of the story. You take the story at its face value and maybe it will entertain you. For some novels, it might just be a fleeting fancy. Course we analyze, dissect and discuss spoiler here but casual readers dont really do this. Same goes for manga and I know some people would prefer the manga coz novels have 'too many details'. And of course, expect the tropes. I rage on them but heck I'm not the author and I can drop them anytime I want. The only investment for these novels and webtoons is time. I dont know anyone who will be buying the exact novel once the spoilers are out, unless they are really a fan.

Anyway, I might pick this one. Sounds interesting.

tisifone21, jadelin, Leilacus and 3 others like this.
  9. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    the greatest families are the insane ones. You'll always have popcorn-worthy moments. Might even pale in comparison to real insane families.

10. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    I say orchestrate how lacking the substitute sister is. Not sure but even the nobility has to 'save face'. Then throw the entire family to social Siberia. Humiliation can be a good punishment without causing a ruckus.

midnight reader likes this.
  11. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    The only qualification for a prince is to be born to a royal family. Idiot or easily manipulated he may be, it's not exactly the merit or criteria for the title. He just needs to be born to a royal family. That's it.

spchntrt and haqpiness like this.
  12. lazynoodles

lazynoodles Softie for Villainess & BL

Reading List:
    Link
    Loving the sarcasm:blobmelt: yes. What’s more heart breaking is that the father seems to hate his eldest daughter for some reason and all the MC wanted was her parents affection.

elhystine, magical_al00 and Irie like this.
  13. lazynoodles

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually she didn’t. He figured when dukes daughter is good like any other. All wants is a political pawn he can use of. He regrets only because he realized the younger sister didn’t have an iota of training or etiquette that the older sister has. He wanted to change back but found out she threw herself into the magma as the dragon’s bride.

14. lazynoodles

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno about that. The case of MC’s parents and sister it’s probably a mixture of a sense of entitlement and feelings of uneasy guilt. Think of it. They’re rich and come from a wealthy prominent family. They have a daughter (the youngest) that mirrors their themselves in a way. While they have a elder daughter who’s better than them and can’t stand it. I mean look at the book “Matilda” by Ronald Dahl. They can’t seem to understand their daughter nor understand her brilliance so they put her down in every opportunity to feel good about themselves. I see this as similar thing. I can even go further and show that the brother in Matilda was favored instead of her. Mirroring the novel’s situation. This is simply my speculation but it gives me similar vibes. In Matilda the MC loves the fact she’s different and eventually finds a kindred spirit in Miss. Jenny who understands her. While the MC in the story frankly are not on the plane, but the ML at least tries to understand while admiring what he does. Does this make any sense? I guess the gripe is that roald Dahl took time show not just discrepancies in the treatment of the parents but show what kind of people they are and where their hatred is coming from.

15. Irie

Irie Internet Bystander

Reading List:
    Link
    I get the sense of entitlement but not seeing the uneasy guilt much, or do you mean inferiority complex? That's what I think the sister's portraying anyway. It's been a long time since I last read Matilda and probably missed some things since I read it as a kid. I thought the parents were just of an old fashioned mindset where they believed girls had no need for brains as long as they had a man to care for their wellbeing, which explained their favouritism for the brother. Well, on top of their inferiority complex on how she's smarter than them.

Your comparison makes sense and I do get what you mean, but rather than being unable to understand his daughter, the father just takes MC's achievement as top position for the prince's fiancee candidate as something expected of her. He completely ignored her existence after her sister was born, and his treatment of her before that was lukewarm at best. It isn't mentioned anywhere that she's adopted or anything so I don't really get his unusual behavior of spoiling the younger sister and completely ignoring the older one that much...

16. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont think it's a uniquely JP thing. Sometimes, you just want a simple story with idiot antagonists to hate on. Also, i think you're giving too much credit to humanity. There are a lot of simple idiots out there that probably could make dumb antagonists look smart.

i gotta +1 you. As for the favoritism, who knows. favoritism probably exists like that in the real world as well

midnight reader and Irie like this.
  17. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link

I think western media has moved towards much more sympathetic villains. Take superhero movies for instance. Alot of the supervillains have motives that go beyond "lol destruction"

I'll be honest though. Alot of there antagonists sound like the basic "mean girls" in cringey wattapad fanfiction I used to read as a middle schooler. A symptharthc villian if done right could become more popular then the protagonist (medeka box for example ) which is one if the reasons I belive they make then comically evil and incompetent as possible

midnight reader likes this.
  18. haqpiness

haqpiness Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not just probably but definitely, there really are some parents that have their favourite child and I'm not talking about old-fashioned ones that favour the boy.

19. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    This is what I talk about when i mean bad antagonists. Why does the father hate her? Who the fuck knows. He just does. You think hed perfer the smarter daughter who can actually who his house but the antagonists have to be more retarded then sentient dogshit to make it easy for the audience

But I guess im being unfair. I dont read JP novels for there high literary value

Irie likes this.
  20. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Nobody knows unless it is fleshed out in the novel.
    The thing about preference even among offspring is the emotional side. Ideally, he should prefer the most suitable daughter but he doesnt. Its just like real life -parents have favorites though they will never admit it (unless on reddit). Same goes for having preferences it's not something you are obligated to quantify. If you like or hate something, people aren't obligated to explain.
    There is no downside to making it easier for the audience. After all, it is marketed to appeal to as many people as possible.

spchntrt, Irie and haqpiness like this.