Discussion My views on Harem/Polygamy

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by I Eat Monsanto, Nov 25, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deathsson

Deathsson [A bored reader][Back for More]

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand he doesnt like harems, but he tried to shame people who did
    I dont like novels with tragedys in them, but that some peoples cup of tea and thats fine.

This is a fantasy btw..... i dont think they are saying they would do it in rl

There is a reason we are talking fiction here, where anything is possible, and if we are mocking people who like the harem genre why dont we be even more of dicks and mock people who like every other genre in existence.

Completely logical person unlike the others :)
    You are not a jerk about your prerences

I dont get why people are being such assholes about this.....
    If you dont like a harem and/or something similar in a novel or manga and etc, thats fine and understandable. Read what you want and dont read what you dont want to read.My problem with alot of people in this forum is that they are bashing and/or mocking people who enjoy harem novels.(not saying you are,just people in this forum in general).These are all fantasy, non of these stories are real and i highly doubt alot of people who like harem novels condone it in real life.They are stories and nobody is getting harmed by them reading it.If you do not like harem novels, go read soemthing else and do not attack people who do like said genre.

Thats funny

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2017
  2. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    Subjectivity is a thing, just don't bash people cuz you have certain opinions on a matter.

Unnatural:
    Besides the whole history/animals/evolution thingy that people have mentioned before, polygamy still isn't all that rare in the modern day. Definitely still cultures (hell, bunch of fetishes) that promote it.
    Saying "nobody" is gonna like this or that is hopelessly narrow-minded.

Romance:
    Not even gonna bother since you reiterated the whole your opinion thingy

Insincerity:
    Love isn't some finite material. "Never leave me," when the protagonist has a bunch of other girls/guys is greedy rather than hypocritical.
    "You are my most important person," clear show of favoritism or perhaps a figure of speech. Words said in the heat of the moment?
    Anyway, anything can be said and still hold value, simply cuz you can love a person in different ways and for different reasons. As long as they aren't viewed as objects, then there is no real insincerity besides what the reader injects.

I personally dislike harems cuz I feel they're overdone and that author's often cannot do them in a way I would find intriguing. The characters and interactions are often shitty, to be blunt.

Enemy likes this.
  3. aattss

aattss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, harems/polygamy in Chinese WN are revolting in that they're sexist and the MC's an asshole and sometimes a rapist and the female characters are Confucian 1-Dimensional duplicates who exist only to show how badass the MC is.

Most harems in WN are shit, because most WN are shit. Sturgeon's Law. If there was this story I really liked in every way, and the author decided to add a harem, I'd at least be fine because I find the characterization and relationships well written. If someone took a boring shitty JP harem LN and removed the harem, it'd still be a boring shitty JP LN.

4. voiceburner

voiceburner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gggggh
    The hypocrisy in your post within its self is amazing

5. Sh1r0r3n

Sh1r0r3n New Year and still a workaholic

Reading List:
    Link
    It is back from the dead. I thought my eyes were seeing things.

6. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you please learn to consolidate replies into a single post.

7. voiceburner

Reading List:
    Link
    I will leave this conversation like this harems depending on the author can murder a series or make a series. Same for irl they can make a country or bring it to its knees do to regional inheritance conflicts

8. Deathsson

Reading List:
    Link
    How so? The later half was me being sarcastic

9. RozenKristal

RozenKristal NUF gender bender Emperor -> Queen

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhm, that depends on what you read. There are historical/military genre where the MC get the first girl after 100 chapters of courtship and stuffs. Later women that entered the harem aren't raped in many novels. It is seriously up to the author to decide.

10. Deathsson

Reading List:
    Link
    Well i could....didnt know it hurt people so much.I dont like to put all of my responses in 1 post

11. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    It's against the forum rules and it's annoying to read.

12. Deathsson

Reading List:
    Link
    My bad then.... i was not trying to spam but respond to individual post by different people.
    Im sorry if i annoyed you, i did not know people cared so much, and being relativy new to the forums i did not know how to add qoutes lr do multiple responses in 1 post.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  13. voiceburner

Reading List:
    Link
    With all due respect I must say this in retrospect the history of Europe and parts of africa were at some point shaped by inheritance based conflicts involving unclarified heirship. The examples i think can rout this is Norway's civil war era 1130 to 1240 conflicts for there thrones. But beyond this example of inheritance deputes caused by harems whether it be the legal harem or the illegal harem.(I.E The family head sleeping with a woman outside of the legal union of marriage.) their are many more examples in history that prove this as a disfuncional system of marriage. But let me say this the attack on my person was at best unnecessary at worst self indulgen hypocrisy

14. Diabeetus

Diabeetus [NUFs cutest Panda][Pandesu~][BootyFul][Hungry]

Reading List:
    Link
    ... does me having relationship with a dozen bamboo shoot counts as harem? i luv 'em all tho

15. Rumanshi

Rumanshi 『Demon Lord』『ルマンし』

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends. Is the relationship one of familial love or of a more forbidden nature?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

16. voiceburner

Reading List:
    Link
    Your earlyer post and its content is full of conflicting concepts,the concepts being everyone is entitled to their opinion and dont be a dick about your opinion and in here laid the hypocrisy the very moment you declared i was being a dick because i stated my opinion. which is the summary of my thoughts on the subject you denounced it as an attack on the individual and not on the subject when the aim of my statement was the subject

no its your love of food not a person

17. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    In no way did you mention it being in any reference to Norway. Your statement was an accusation that harem is stupid and if one have encountered one, then one must also agree with you that it was stupid, 'moronic' you said. Which was what my post argued against.

How exactly did Norway's civil war era came into this discussion? Also, while I will not deny that there were harems that didn't work, there were also harems that worked. If a Chevy Impala design has bad exhaust pipe, would you say all Chevrolet cars have bad exhaust pipes?

Look down here. Realize what you said? The way I see it is your above reply was only made to save your own hide after being shown to be a prejudiced, close minded person. In answer to your post below, I have named 4 families that are happy with this arrangement. Far more than your statement that everyone was lying when you hypothesized not even one family benefited from this lifestyle. You specifically attacked everyone who defended the viability of harems in real life. And some of these people have actually seen harems that work.

Sh1r0r3n and Cryarc like this.
  18. voiceburner

Reading List:
    Link
    Again with the personal attack miss read the statement because you just pulled a ad hominem it was a attack of the subject not of the individual i said unedited the CONCEPT was mornic and the follow-up statement also pointed to it the only part that i had to rethink was that there was no functioning harem model that was stable.

19. Enemy

Enemy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Couldn't have said it any better myself.

20. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm very sure I didn't misread the statement. While I admit it was full of typos and may point to it being unedited, fact of the matter is, you made an attack. And also, you keep pulling info out of nowhere. Where did you say it was unedited? I also checked to see if Norway was mentioned before because I'm just human and I might've missed a few earlier posts, but nowhere in this thread was there ever a mention about Norway. So how exactly could you bring up Norway long after the argument settled down? How could people understand you when you didn't say it properly?

Say it properly, say your entire argument. Make it a long post instead of an impulse posting. Give your facts, your whole facts that support your argument instead of trying to make others look stupid for not sharing your views.

Sh1r0r3n and Cryarc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.