Recommendations Mystery Novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by SylviaViolet, May 22, 2021.

1. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    I really love mystery novels and I used to read a whole lot of them but I can't seem to find anything great recently. Please suggest some....

I'd prefer ones that lean towards deduction rather than ones that have a lot of action but please suggest those as well, I'll read them later too. Original English works and published works are very much welcome because there seems to be a lack of the genre in translated novels.

Also, I know Lord of the Mysteries exists. I've read it and I don't want to hear it being suggested to me one more time!

2. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    Nightside series by Simon R. Green. While some of the books are better than others for the mystery angle (and the obvious mystery might not be the main mystery of the book), they are all have fantastic characters and world building. I have been ‘rereading’ them lately on audible which is fun.

SylviaViolet likes this.
  3. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about Hakomari?
    It's well reviewed, completed JP LN. Haven't read it yet but it's on my TBR list. Just take a look at the tags beforehand, if it's for you or not. Also, it's licensed i.e. published in English. So, you'll have to either buy it or pirate it.

SylviaViolet likes this.
  4. Hamster

Hamster Bloodthirsty Hamstie

Reading List:
    Link
    Kansuou, skyfall3250 and SylviaViolet like this.
  5. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Warlock Apprentice
    Genius Detective

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    SylviaViolet likes this.
  6. Hamster

Hamster Bloodthirsty Hamstie

Reading List:
    Link
    The house of Horror I guess

SylviaViolet likes this.
  7. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh,
    The Decagon House Murder
    That's the only one I know

SylviaViolet likes this.
  8. Aki Aki

Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki ⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Aki doesn't read much mystery but out of the few that Aki has read, this was the most amazing!
    Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter.

Don't judge by the name, It's a really great novel~

SylviaViolet likes this.
  9. SylviaViolet

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! It looks pretty interesting!

It's fine, I was joking about LOTM because I see it being suggested everywhere now a days. I'll check out House of Horrors.

You already mentioned it before so yeah, I definitely need to read this one! It's already on my list.

Thanks Aki! This sounds pretty great! Although, yes the name is pretty misleading.

Ah this... I'm not too sure about it. I don't mind dark elements but if it gets too dark, I usually drop the novel so I'm not sure if I'll be able to read it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Aki Aki likes this.
  10. Aki Aki

Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki ⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Aki found another! It's by an author from my country~
    When Death Rings: A Mussoorie Murder Mystery

SylviaViolet likes this.
  11. TXHY

TXHY Normal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hyouka. I only watch the anime, but the mysteries are truly good. I'd say it's quite simple and pretty "light" school mystery cases (no murder or suicide or sorts), but the solutions are not what you'd expect coming from a mere school case.
    Shinrei Tantei Yakumo. Has supernatural elements because Yakumo (MC) can see the souls/ghosts of the victims, but I really like how he can deduce things from the vague clues from the ghosts in a logical and scientific way.

Edit:
    Add one more: Kusuriya no Hitorigoto. Only read the manga adaptation, but I can see the novel must be truly good! Maomao (MC) is a deep thinker and very calm, and I like how she gives the answers without actually explaining everything to the period (I'd say no dumb character here that would ask "what do you mean?" in every single point of deduction because they couldn't use their brain to think logically. Yakumo has this one character btw).

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    SylviaViolet likes this.
  12. idlereader

idlereader 『Agentt's Aunt』『Don't touch the Flowersss!!!!』

Reading List:
    Link
  13. 1Sami

1Sami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My House of Horrors is definitely my favourite mystery novel, and book in general. I love the characters, there are absolutely no plot holes, and it keeps my attention.
    Black Butterfly, Where does the Black Butterfly go Drink Water is good too. The MC is a police detective and the ML is a mass murderer. There are lots of arcs and each one a different murder occurs where the characters figure out the mystery. The character profiles of everyone but the man characters aren't as well written as I'd have liked but it's still a great story!
    God of Crime, this one is completed so no cliff hangers! The MC went back in time ten years (I think) and gained the ability to steal powers of crime that others have and upgrade them. He gets better at them when he puts them to use and he wants to avenge his family from his original timeline so he goes around catching horrible criminals and eventually loses his identity becoming the worst criminal of them all. The corruption of the characters and the logic behind everything that happens is amazing! I hope you like it!
    I Wasn't Born Lucky is an episodic novel where the MC is sent into a game world where each arc is a mystery. He ends up assuming many different identities and every world is so original. They're based off of famous mysteries IRL so you might be able to recognize some of the arcs and have background knowledge of them.
    Lord of the Mysteries, you do have to read to around chapter 400 for it to get good imo. I liked it before then as well but I started to love it once I reached that point.
    The Man Who Was Buried Alive By Me is very much psychological based. The MC is a psychologist and the ML is his patient. I don't want to spoil it too much but let me just say that I had to read it a few times to fully understand what was going on. I really recommend it!
    Thriller Paradise, it's more of a mystery novel than horror but it does focus quite a lot on the horror aspect too. The MC can't feel fear and he's trying to fix that by doing the scariest things possible. I'll let you imagine just how well that turns out.
    I hope you like these! Enjoy~

SylviaViolet likes this.
  14. SylviaViolet

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Hyouka is one of my favorite anime! I'll definitely check out the other two.

Wow! Thanks Yihan. So many novels! I wasn't born Lucky and The man who was buried alive by me sound absolutely fantastic! I love psychological mysteries. I'll definitely read all of them. (Have read Lord of the Mysteries and God of Crime and liked both of them)

You guys are amazing to even write a description for me! Thanks~

1Sami and TXHY like this.
  15. Daphne kook

Daphne kook Member

Reading List:
    Link