Need a good painting software app

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Nyann, Dec 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    upload_2020-1-12_1-17-23.png
    just got first hand on top of it.... it supports wacom really well, with smart button and pressure sensing functions working pretty well.

In my first view.
    pros:
    • lightweight. 100mb
    • vector.
    • animation
    • pressure.
    Cons:
    • confusing hotkeys without looking at manual or instruction or without any knowledge. "V" selection is vector? "T" is move not text.
      P is not magic wan but color. like Open canvas need time to get use to... too bad I can't move with arrows. need time to get use to or customize.
    • Tried 10 main brush and the 2 extra brush, the direction of brush and the way of stroke is confusing, need time to get use to.
    • pressure for eraser is strange, as it increase size with pressure is weird. it's 60% opacity at stock, totally mess me up... as I don't know the setting early on.
    • upload_2020-1-12_1-28-25.png quick color and brush the site pannel don't display fully. quite chunky as I can't tell the brush size on full canvas mode.
    • Just give me arrow key for movement of canvas, I dont need the space key to drag. it's trouble to drag it around.
    • Lack of some magic function CSP have.
    • blend is funky other than black and white.

2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Just noticed and I will note a few things.

You can set your own hotkeys or use photoshop or Sai shortcuts:

https://docs.krita.org/en/reference_manual/preferences/shortcut_settings.html

You can configure the brush size with pressure but its not uncommon when painting. Think about it, when you use a tip of a paintbrush the size is small, and as you put the paintbrush closer to the painting it grow. But if you don't like that then:

https://docs.krita.org/en/reference_manual/brushes/brush_settings/options.html#size

What magic function are you looking for?

3. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    Krita has some nice brushes.
    There's even a webcomic that uses it for some of its art.
    Pepper&Carrot

4. EvilChuuniCatEars

EvilChuuniCatEars Member

Reading List:
    Link
    'The GIMP' (The GNU Image Manipulation Program). If you're just trying things out, it's absolutely free. It's just as fiendishly difficult to use as Photoshop. With either programs, you'll need a duckduckgo or google page open at all times, to get much out of them.

How are you planning to digitize your artwork? Are you gonna use a tablet, or draw on paper, scan it and edit from there? Drawing with a mouse or with your finger on a screen or track pad... sucks ass.

BTW, go directly to gimp.org to get it. Most free, open source software for Windows gets 'bundled' in installers with malware and other shitware, if you download it from aggregation sites.

Also, 'ImageMagick' is very useful. You can invoke it from a script/batch or link it into an app, to do lots of handy things. If you have 1000 images to crop, slap some boiler plate text on and stick rounded corners onto, you can just write a script. Another free tool.

Yamcha likes this.
  5. AnnieRo

AnnieRo New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Photoshop, CorelDraw are my favorites.

6. Kolya1998

Kolya1998 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that's an app? How do I install that?