Resolved Need a moment's help from a QQ/WeChat user

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Adnana, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adnana

Adnana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi.
    I read most of a dystopian/romance C-novel online, but then couldn't find its final part anywhere on the Internet... The full book, however, is available on QQ and especially on WeChat, on a couple of public groups where Chinese readers share books with each other. Unfortunately, I am unable to create a WeChat account, and I also can't write in Chinese, so I wouldn't know how to locate/ask other users for the specific book I want.
    So I was really, really hoping a Chinese-speaking QQ/WeChat user could take a few minutes to get that particular book txt for me--I can tell you the exact WeChat group/QQ number where to look, which I got from tieba baidu, so it wouln't be too much of a hassle for whoever if willing to help, I hope.
    I realize this is a bit of a long shot, but I still had to try... It's so frustrating to have read most of a book, and just be left hanging right before the climax/ending.
    If anyone can help, please pm me for the details.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. BurgerKong

BurgerKong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there anything in particular stopping you from using WeChat? I checked and it's readily available on the Play Store in America in English.

3. Adnana

Adnana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @BurgerKong I've tried installing WeChat on my Android and didn't even make it through the setup process before my account was blocked for "suspicious activity." I've done an Internet search, and this problem has become quite frequent (if not ubiquitous) for foreign users (i.e. with non-Chinese numbers) for more than a year now. To unblock your account, another WeChat user has to confirm you, but there are a lot of restrictions for who can do that, and it doesn't last long. That is, you might get your account unblocked today, only to have it blocked again next week for not logging in every day or some other such reason (there seems to be a whole list of idiotic "causes" that you have to watch out for--but what it comes down to is that WeChat is making new foreign accounts nearly impossible; I don't know if they're cracking down in such "subtle" ways on old accounts too, but I haven't found any reports on this on the Internet). I even read a forum post from someone who created their WeChat account in China (with Chinese numbers, you don't have to jump through so many hoops) while there for a wedding, only to have the account blocked while he was traveling back to the U.S. The new account he then created back home worked fine, but he would have liked to keep his old one, and he was never able to get it unblocked again.
    In short, (1) my new WeChat account was blocked before I even set it up; (2) I do not know any other WeChat user who can confirm me (to get me unblocked), and even if I did, according to forum reports by many many users, I'd likely just get blocked again after a short while; (3) most importantly, and like I already pointed out in my original post, the WeChat book-sharing groups I would need to access belong to Chinese people--whom I can't communicate with in their language. I've acquired some very (very!) rudimentary reading skills over the past couple of years, but writing Chinese myself is far beyond me.
    Hope this answers your question.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  4. Adnana

Adnana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A forum reader was very kind and checked the first WeChat group (小咖书坊) on my list, and though the book links are already down (expired or removed), they seemed to lead to a book store... so no simple, free download like I had imagined. I'm very grateful to the person who checked this for me, and sorry to have wasted your time.
    I can't be certain, but now I'll assume the other WeChat groups advertised in the other Tieba Baidu links I have are of similar orientation, under which circumstances I'll withdraw the request which started this thread.
    Thank you and have a nice day, everyone!

mir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.